Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

Super Car handling -- Thanks Shawn

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2009, 08:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Super Car handling -- Thanks Shawn

Well, I thought to share my experience with 2 items that Shawn (Vicksen) installed on my car.

I have to tell you upfront it made for night and day difference in handling, braking, cornering, sliding in the snow

First thing went in is the Whiteline Front Roll Center Correction kit. It took Shawn some power to master that in there and have everything secured. When he took out stock mounts they were blown and starting to leak out. My car has only 48,000 mile since 2003. SO I suggest anyone with older evo to check theirs as with time rubber starts to deteriorate, being lowered also ads more stress to the bushings.
My car as many may know has Tein coilovers with EDFC and is lowered by about 1 inch. Roll center correction kit is important for lowered cars as it improves weight distribution, maintains a better camber angle and better front grip. Well first impression when just pulling out of his garage was that my turning radius is much shorter. It feels now like a car not a truck when turning around. Now when getting around the corners turn-ins are much sharper and more effortless.

Second was installed Perrin PSRS kit. Which stands for Positive Suspension Response system.
That was PITA to get the stock mount out and get Perrin in. Good thing he had done a few of those and knew how it needed to be done.
Impression of this installed is the car accelerates straight. With 450WHP I spin the wheels through 1 and 2nd gear and now wheel hop is out and it just pulls forward. COOL

All these goodies are quite inexpensive. FRCC kit goes for about $200 as well as PSRS for about $220 and Shawn install was inexpensive as well for the amount of work that goes in pressing out oem stuff and getting all the new parts in.

Overall I’d recommend this to everyone because for about $600 you will improve handling enough to put a smile on your face again, just like the time you first got your evo J
Old Dec 30, 2009, 10:39 AM
Evolving Member

Micky is right, this combo is really amazing! It does wonders for the turn in response and takes all the slop out of the front end.
As always, doing it yourself saves some coin and it pays to shop around. I found the best deal on the psrs from Aaron at ER and the whiteline kit from MAP. These threads should help:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...hop-press.html
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/se...se-system.html
If you haven't done it yet, do it. Just make sure you have a spare qt. of oil handy, you have to take off your oil filter to get the forward bolt out of the passenger side lower control arm and that's about how much falls out.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 11:31 AM
Evolving Member

I have the Whiteline FRCC kit. I find it effective, but only when cornering at the limit, which for me is on the track. It certainly doesn't affect turning radius. I wonder if a large part of the better handling you're feeling is because the stock ball joints were worn out?

Still, as you say, it doesn't cost much. So while I agree the kit is very worthwhile, I don't think most Evos will exhibit a night and day difference.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 03:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by aeroweenie
I have the Whiteline FRCC kit. I find it effective, but only when cornering at the limit, which for me is on the track. It certainly doesn't affect turning radius. I wonder if a large part of the better handling you're feeling is because the stock ball joints were worn out?

Still, as you say, it doesn't cost much. So while I agree the kit is very worthwhile, I don't think most Evos will exhibit a night and day difference.
You're right, the roll center kit wasn't a contributing factor to the tightened turning radius. The offset polly bushings from Perrin which add 2 degrees of forward castor are the reason an evo can make a U turn instead of a three point turn. It really is a great side affect.
The purpose of the roll center correction kit is to bring the lower control arms on a lowered evo back (or closer) to the factory position which brings the roll center of the car back (or closer) to the factory spec. Not that mitsu factory spec is always perfect, but in the case of the front end suspension geometry it's pretty frickin spot on.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
is the Perrin positive steering response system the same as the precision steering kit by whiteline?

+1 on the roll center

i've also got front control arm bushings, rear trailing arm bushings, and a bump steer correction - all work great, definitely a must have for any evo
Old Dec 30, 2009, 04:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kyooch
is the Perrin positive steering response system the same as the precision steering kit by whiteline?

+1 on the roll center

i've also got front control arm bushings, rear trailing arm bushings, and a bump steer correction - all work great, definitely a must have for any evo
No the steering precision kit goes in the steering rack, here's a link to that
http://www.lancershop.com/customer/p...cat=105&page=1

The PSRS goes in the rear mounting point of the front lower control arms, here's a link to that.
http://www.perrinperformance.com/pro...gory=8&model=3
Whiteline does make a bushing that goes there, but i don't believe it has castor adjustment.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 06:02 PM
Evolving Member

Its nice to have knowledgeable evo owners locally