Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

Doo Wop Rally

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2010, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yahu
Minh is a good guy and a lot of fun to hang with. I'd be there if my weekend wasn't already booked.
True true bout Minh. I'd be down too, but Saturday is booked. Not quite sure about Sunday, but sorta wanted to go see Minh drive at that other thing. We'll see.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 10:19 AM
Former Sponsor

I quick preview of what my weekend will look like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zF-G7ohHf98
Old Mar 5, 2010, 10:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Billy@EnglishRacing
I quick preview of what my weekend will look like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zF-G7ohHf98
That's bad ***! I'll see you guys on Saturday.

Originally Posted by BellyD
True true bout Minh. I'd be down too, but Saturday is booked. Not quite sure about Sunday, but sorta wanted to go see Minh drive at that other thing. We'll see.
If you're gonna drive all the way to Shelton on Sunday, you might as well sign up to drive. Autocross is much more fun when you're behind the wheel. Don't worry about not being setup to kick ***. You'll be amazed how capable your Evo really is in stock form.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 10:31 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Cody Crane/ Billy Irvin in an 88 Honda CRX. If you guys have never had the chance to see Cody drive you are missing out, he pushes harder then anyone else out there. Plus he will have a midget that some of you will recognize working in service for him.
LOL @ shameless plug

I heard Cody is a really good driver though. He just needs a good co-driver now ... j/k billy
Old Mar 5, 2010, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
/raises hand. Sign me up. I would love to come out and watch/help. When and where should i be.

Aaron will be the crew chief for Cody and myself at Doowops.

He is looking for a friend so he is not lonely.

The perks of the job!!!

1. Free evo tech advice from your favorite midget
2. The chance to work on the fastest bright green car in the rally.

(Aaron if this doesn't sell someone on being your friend for the weekend i don't know what will)
Old Mar 5, 2010, 07:24 PM

We are still really short on volunteers for Sunday, especially for road marshals. This is the best way to watch a rally! You get a corner all to yourself
If you are looking for something to do, please hit me up for rendezvous times - hopefully by Friday night. It may be too late to register online for the info to get out to you.

Thanks!
La' Akea
Stage Captain
Old Mar 6, 2010, 09:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like Cody and Billy rolled the car just after flying finish on one of the stages. A green CRX on it's lid really DOES look like a Turtle. They got some help, Pushed it over, gave it some time for the oil to find its way back to the pan and tried to continue. Last I heard, there was drivability issues. No word on how they finished yet.

Word is they are FINE. Barely shaken and in no ways stirred.

Scott
Old Mar 6, 2010, 10:32 PM
Evolving Member

Damn, that sucks. It wasn't a great day for them. To start it all off, Cody's camelback was leaking badly so that had to be left out. They came in to the second service stop with a bad distributor or at least that's what the general consensus was. Hopefully the rollover damage isn't too bad so they can turn things around Sunday.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 08:01 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Wow @ turtle comment

That does suck... time for cody to get an evo build going
Old Mar 7, 2010, 08:18 PM

Nice job Billy and Cody! I was amazed how the CRX looked after the roll...almost looked like you just scraped a tree.

Looking forward to seeing you at Olympus.
~La' Akea
Old Mar 8, 2010, 09:28 AM
Former Sponsor

Doo Wops Rally proved to be one crazy weekend for Cody Crain and myself in car 649. Friday night Was the start of many small challenges. We went to test our intercoms, as Cody picked up a used one that we had not tested before. Wouldn’t you know that Cody was unable to hear anything. After taking the head set out of his helmet we found the wiring issue, a quick splice and everything was all systems go.

Saturday Morning we were up bright and early and at tech. We quickly found out that our fire extinguishers were out of date. After a quick scramble to find someone who could check them Charles Burin from SafeDrives came to our rescue. The first 2 stages of the day were on Tarmac, We were able to set top 5 times on each of those stages. After our trip to the tarmac we were off to the first gravel stage of the weekend. Pico Left was really a great stage, very technical, witch played in to Cody’ talents. We ended this stage with a top 4 time. After this stage on the way to service the car died on us, after a few minutes we were able to get the car fired and made it back to service. Once there we realized that the distributor was going out on us. The next trip through Pico We were limited to half throttle and under 5000rpm. The car ended up dieing on stage about 12 times. After the second running of Pico we had another service, where we found out that our crew had located a new distributor and it would be at the hotel later that night.

13 corners down and then 13 corners back were the last 2 stages of the day. Not having very much power we were just enjoying the road. The last corner of the stage was a downhill in to a 90 degree right hander. The finish boards were right in the apex of the corner. We came through the finish a little hot and started sliding towards the ditch on the far side of the road. As soon as the drivers side front tire went in it sent the car on to its top. It took us almost an entire minute to get out of the car. After all but one car (a car that had rolled early on in the stage) made it to the finish, all of the drives and co-drivers came down to assist Cody and myself flip the car back on to the wheels. Some how we managed not to break any windows. Sweep came and yanked us out of the ditch. After letting the oil drain back in to the pan we fired her us to assess the damage. We had lost the power steering and alternator belts and had some gas that had leaked into the cabin.

We ran the last stage with no lights, odo, or intercom as were really wanted to finish the day under are own power and we did not know how long the battery would last us. After we made it through the stage sweep trucks sandwiched us with there hazards on so we could drive back with out using our lights.

After we got back that night, we ate, then Cody put the new belts on the car and locked it up, and got some shut eye.

Sunday started with yet more problems, after the drivers side door got locked, it didn’t want to unlock. After trying for a half hour we got the door open with some assistance from the Watson brothers. We ran the Brooklyn and Smith Creak stages and put up some great times. After that it was a service then a trip down Palix. Palix is by far my new favorite stage. It has amazing corners and really flows. We ended up with the 3 best time on that stage. Witch put us into 4th over all. Once we got into service on that stage again the car died, We managed to get it started and started transiting back up to Palix. On the highway the car decided to die again. We started to realize that if we didn’t keep the reves up the car would died. Armed with that knowledge we made it to the stage. Once we got there we set the second best time over all on that stage. The push for 3rd over all was on.

On the transit back to the smith creak stage the car died a few more times. We were able to keep it started long enough to start the stage. We finished that stage with the third best time overall, putting us 11 seconds back of 3rd over all. Unfortunately on the transit to the final stage the coil gave up on us and we couldn’t get any spark. The car went on the trailer and our weekend was over. It was a lot of challenges, but still a lot of fun.

I really want to thank everyone who helped us out this weekend. We had an amazing evom supported service crew! Thanks to Charles at Safe Drives, Gene at Magic Auto, Jake Blattner, All the volunteers and organizers, all the drivers and co-drivers that helped us put the car back on the wheels, Jason Grahn, and English Racing.

The roll was caught on video, when I get the footage I will be sure to share it with everyone.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 09:29 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by trypsin29
Nice job Billy and Cody! I was amazed how the CRX looked after the roll...almost looked like you just scraped a tree.

Looking forward to seeing you at Olympus.
~La' Akea

Thanks! It was a pretty soft roll, just hard to get out of the door
Old Mar 8, 2010, 12:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Some footage from Palix of the crx, we set the second fastest time on this stage. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQSLP52Z1Us
Old Mar 8, 2010, 12:37 PM
Former Sponsor

And a clip from the world famous Brooklyn stage http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND8vhHdr5ew&NR=1
Old Mar 8, 2010, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
Like to thank our volunteers for saturday-

Leo

Minh

Jason

Job well done Gents, sorry you didnt get any spectating in but many hands made service quick and easy.

aaron