Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

Washington State petition for removing front plates!

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2010, 11:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
--> 6489
Old May 7, 2010, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RallyDSM
--> 6489
Nice it was at 2500 when I signed it yesterday morning! Still a long ways to go though...

Mikey
Old May 7, 2010, 12:53 PM
Evolving Member

Signed it, but like other I doubt it will go through. For now I keep the RCW 46.16.240 printout in my car that reads

"However, if only one license number plate is legally issued for any vehicle such plate shall be conspicuously attached to the rear of such vehicle. "

I'll just tell them I was never issued a front one by the dealership and that there is no mounting bracket on my car for one... Haven't been pulled over yet, but we'll see if it works.
Old May 7, 2010, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ LOL very nice way to work the system!
Old May 7, 2010, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BLKCarbonEVO
Nice it was at 2500 when I signed it yesterday morning! Still a long ways to go though...

Mikey
not true mikey... it was at 6400 when I signed it yesterday
Old May 7, 2010, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by R/TErnie
not true mikey... it was at 6400 when I signed it yesterday
o okay... sorry getting no sleep must be playing its tole.

Mikey
Old May 7, 2010, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by goucho
Signed it, but like other I doubt it will go through. For now I keep the RCW 46.16.240 printout in my car that reads

"However, if only one license number plate is legally issued for any vehicle such plate shall be conspicuously attached to the rear of such vehicle. "

I'll just tell them I was never issued a front one by the dealership and that there is no mounting bracket on my car for one... Haven't been pulled over yet, but we'll see if it works.
LOL I tried that.

"I have no front plate officer, the car was not issued one, as there's no place to mount one on the front of the car."

"Yeah that's the problem with these aftermarket body kits, they don't have all the necessary legal provisions."

"It's not an aftermarket front end. I purchased the car new in 06 and it's the front end that was orginally manufactured for the car."

"I've been a traffic cop for over 10 years and I'm well versed in cars, this is not the factory front end on your car."

...I dig the owners manual out of glove box to show the officer pictures of the 'aftermarket' front end.

"It doesn't matter. RCW blahblahblah states all vehicles in Washington State must be equipped with a front plate. Whenever I see a car that doesn't have a plate, I'll be sure to pull them over and ticket them too, just to inform them of the law."

"Well I'll research if there's a way to add a front plate that will not hinder the cooling flow to the car, but I'm not going to drill any holes to mount a plate in the front end. They don't make this car anymore, and it was a limited production number vehicle in the first place."

"Well, if you can get a letter from Mitsubishi that states the front plate will block airflow required for cooling, you can apply for exemption status for the front plate, but until then, I'll keep pulling you over and ticketing you."

"thx for the info, peace"
Old May 7, 2010, 03:29 PM

What I don't understand is why the Cops don't pull over the $400,000 dollar Lambo and say "um, excuse me, can you go ahead and drill 1/2 inch holes into that $20,000 dollar front bumper please?" The Lambo owner will just look at him like he is nuts and say "just give me the ****ing ticket."
Old May 7, 2010, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

^ That is true, and what bugs me about it. It goes for cars like Corvettes too, and along that line, why don't we talk about noise violations and muscle cars and Harleys? Endless debate, that.
Old May 7, 2010, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

^or the dual stack diesel trucks (the little F250/2500 series that is) that are loud as a bus driving around?

Originally Posted by Aaron20
ive been stopped for no plate and for exhaust but ive never gotten a ticket, it's always a warning. of course i say that and now im going to get one. but i'll fight it.
This coming from the police officer!
Old May 7, 2010, 05:12 PM
Evolving Member

Friend of mine is washington state partol and he does not make the law it is just his job to enforce it. He gives me crap every time he sees my car for not having a plate.

We have gone round and round with each other about the plate laws and the only vehicles that dont get issued a front plate is collectors cars and ours doesn't qualify. Normally my tickets have been fix it tickets and I temporairly mount the plate, go to court and then remove it.
Old May 7, 2010, 11:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
signed and forwarded.
Old May 8, 2010, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by F0RSAKEN
^ That is true, and what bugs me about it. It goes for cars like Corvettes too, and along that line, why don't we talk about noise violations and muscle cars and Harleys? Endless debate, that.
Also, what about motorcycles? They don't have a front plate. I can think of a lot of places to put a big fat, ugly front plate on a bike...Just because there is no mounting bracket doesn't mean they should not have a plate, right? So why are they exempt? If not the big plate, then put the little plate up there...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4059/...3514c22f_o.jpg
Old May 8, 2010, 10:07 AM
Evolving Member

It's like the "exhaust" wording in the Law... the Plate thing is there as an "opportunity" for an officer to pull you over and harass you because you have an import.

My advise? Take the bracket off the bumper, wad up your front plate, toss it under your seat and keep your nose clean otherwise. When the officer pulls you over, show him the plate and tell him the new one is forthcoming. Done.

Scott
Old May 8, 2010, 10:11 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
This will never happen for one main reason (no matter how many petition it), red light cameras. Without a plate on the front they can't give you a ticket. Oregon has been very stern about this, for this particular reason. Going as far as giving parked cars in oregon tickets for not having a front license plate. I got one three weeks ago while parked by burnside. It got dropped, but I have a plate on my car now. I honestly don't see what the big deal is. It looks 100 times better on our cars off to the side than any other car. And now I have some cool ralliart frames

And this petition coming from a state that has that wonderful no aftermarket exhaust law?? hehe

Quick Reply: Washington State petition for removing front plates!