Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

Carpool Lane

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2010, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't understand why people have to drive in the left lane (HOV or not) doing 60.
Old May 25, 2010, 07:50 AM
Evolving Member

i can see people driving in the HOV lane at 60MPH because it's not the fast lane, but not the in the fast lane! If i are doing the speed limit in the fast lane your WRONG!
Old May 25, 2010, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The entire carpool lane is effin retarded. Canada does it right, and some areas of 520 where the carpool lane is on the RIGHT side of the road where it SHOULD be. Buses that have to merge all the way across traffic actually impede traffic flow (which is what the carpool lanes are supposedly to aid against). Then when they have to exit they have to eff traffic up again by going alllll the way across the highway to the right hand side to exit. It was built with no logic; it’s a failed purpose and failed design.
Old May 25, 2010, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

405 used to have the HOV on the right.

When people go 60 in the HOV lane, they always dip under 60 through curves, hills, etc. It doesn't **** me off as I just drive around them, I just don't understand the need to merge all the way over to that lane if you are going slower than all other lanes. For right side HOV lanes, go as slow as you want! (within the law, of course)
Old May 25, 2010, 03:38 PM

We are being punished...
Old May 26, 2010, 04:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by boostedwrx
The entire carpool lane is effin retarded. Canada does it right, and some areas of 520 where the carpool lane is on the RIGHT side of the road where it SHOULD be. Buses that have to merge all the way across traffic actually impede traffic flow (which is what the carpool lanes are supposedly to aid against). Then when they have to exit they have to eff traffic up again by going alllll the way across the highway to the right hand side to exit. It was built with no logic; it’s a failed purpose and failed design.
I fully agree with u on this one!
Old May 26, 2010, 01:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are so many things I could say about Washington drivers... As stated before the left lane is the fast/passing lane. If you're cruising at a reasonable speed in the left lane (not the HOV) than that's fine. But there's always someone cruising in it at like 60 MPH without anyone ahead of them. Even if you are directly behind them wanting to pass they do not move over lanes. If there is no one ahead of you and people behind you, move over a lane... Plus, the HOV lane also always moves slower than the left lane.

Three more things:
1)Let people merge from an on ramp. It does no good trying to box them out. Every other car people...
2)When you merge in front of someone, DON'T BRAKE CHECK!
3)Stop the unnecessary braking! I am completely clueless as to why people brake so often.

</rant>
Old May 26, 2010, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Quick question for you guys.

Why is it that Monday through Saturday there are old and/or slow people clogging the HOV lanes, going the same speed as the GOL (General Ocupancy Lanes) and generally driving like complete assclowns, yet on Sunday every old and/or slow driver in the state cloggs every GOL possible, creating rolling roadblocks at 55mph, while the HOV lane is completely devoid of traffic?????

Seriously DOT your job, your SOLE job is to create a system whereby people can move to their destination and generate tax revenue.

The thought of the HOV being a general purpose lane M-F 7pm-5am and ALL DAY Saturday and Sunday isnt new. In fact its quite common in other states.

Oh, and agree with El' Goucho regarding unneccessary braking. Elevation change does not mandate brake usage.... COAST DOWN THE FUGGING HILL!!!!
Old May 26, 2010, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by goucho
There are so many things I could say about Washington drivers... As stated before the left lane is the fast/passing lane. If you're cruising at a reasonable speed in the left lane (not the HOV) than that's fine. But there's always someone cruising in it at like 60 MPH without anyone ahead of them. Even if you are directly behind them wanting to pass they do not move over lanes. If there is no one ahead of you and people behind you, move over a lane... Plus, the HOV lane also always moves slower than the left lane.

Three more things:
1)Let people merge from an on ramp. It does no good trying to box them out. Every other car people...
2)When you merge in front of someone, DON'T BRAKE CHECK!
3)Stop the unnecessary braking! I am completely clueless as to why people brake so often.

</rant>
While I agree with some of your rant, I see a couple minor flaws:
- if you're cruising at a reasonable speed, do that in another lane. The left lane is for passing only. I cruise at a reasonable speed and I jump in and out of the left lane as needed.
- the HOV lane doesn't always move slower than the left lane. Or at least, that's what I see when I'm commuting in the HOV lane (legally) during rush hour!

A couple other things to note:
- I agree with you on the zipper merge! However, I will box out a 2nd car, to the point where I have run people off the road.
- I have also blocked out ***-hats that like to merge at the last second, whether that is an off-ramp, construction, etc. If everyone else is merging appropriately I will ensure that person does not get the spot in front of me, and on a couple occasions I have made people keep driving past the point of no return.

I very much agree with the over-braking. Oh no, a corner that must be hiding a 50 car pileup! Hit the brakes Mildred!!!
Old May 27, 2010, 01:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by yahu
A couple other things to note:
- I agree with you on the zipper merge! However, I will box out a 2nd car, to the point where I have run people off the road.
- I have also blocked out ***-hats that like to merge at the last second, whether that is an off-ramp, construction, etc. If everyone else is merging appropriately I will ensure that person does not get the spot in front of me, and on a couple occasions I have made people keep driving past the point of no return.

I very much agree with the over-braking. Oh no, a corner that must be hiding a 50 car pileup! Hit the brakes Mildred!!!
Yeah, it's 1 car per merge, not 2-3-4 cars. I mean really? You think cause I'm nice enough to let 1 person in I'm just gonna sit there and let the whole line go? I too will **** block any ******* that's trying to stick their nose in where it doesn't belong.

For me it happens pretty much every day as I try to get off I5 Northbound onto the Mercer St. exit. The exit lane is always backed up for atleast a mile and everyone's waiting their turn patiently in line. Then some ******* thinks he can just butt in right before the exit.. and people let me in. Screw that, I do the same thing you do. One time some guy tried to cut in front and i gunned it forward so he had to slam on his brakes and almost got smoked by the car behind him. He then drove off and missed his exit. Awesome
Old May 27, 2010, 01:09 PM
Evolving Member

wow, that was a lot of swears... whoops. I get pretty heated about this.
Old May 27, 2010, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

At what point did the rule change from "if you mis your exit just go to the next one and turn around".

To: "If your about to miss your exit, stop the flow of all traffic and force your way in, its Seattle somebody will let you it, just threaten to hit them."

Seriously? When?

Oh, and to the black Masserati that I almost ran into a parked car last week because you think that the middle lane was a right turn lane because you didnt want to wait behind 5 cars: F U K yourself! Its your fault. Hit me... That one will look good on the police report!
Old May 27, 2010, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

I am soo glad I am not the only one that feels this way. People that can't merge drive me nuts. People that wait until the very last second thinking they are gaining ground I will do whatever I can to ensure they wait even longer.

The braking situation though drives me crazy. So many people are brake happy. Seattle drivers are a bunch of lemurs. I brake I brake I brake I brake...or they see a wreck oh lets slow down to 40mph and stop and stair and cause a 10 car pile up in the same spot. I suppose thats the only reason I live across the peninsula...I couldn't deal with that traffic all the time...let alone the people in the traffic. Once a week pisses me off enough
Old May 27, 2010, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

^ Am I allowed to quote my signature?

"Rubberneckers create the perfect self-generating traffic jam, and people slowing to look at an accident get into accidents themselves."
Old May 27, 2010, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

Thats an A-grade sig right thur

Quick Reply: Carpool Lane