Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

Carpool Lane

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2010, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carpool Lane

I jus recieved a "informational brochure" in the mail on how to use the carpool lane correctly because some idiot called and reported that my car was in the carpool lane "illegally"? this is a joke! i kno for a fact that i havnt used the carpool lane illegally haha...anyone else ever gotten one of these?
Old May 22, 2010, 06:23 PM

WOW! Some people just need to get a LIFE. He/she must have nothin better to do.
Old May 22, 2010, 06:50 PM
Evolving Member

loosers!!! they r just jelous that ur car is better then theirs lol
Old May 22, 2010, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

is it still legal to be in the carpool lane at night by yourself? i always thought like after 7pm or something you could use it...
Old May 22, 2010, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by jdmEviL8
is it still legal to be in the carpool lane at night by yourself? i always thought like after 7pm or something you could use it...
Depends on where it is. This is true for most roads, but some such as 520 have a 24 hour requirement that you always must have 2+.

Most folks don't know this though, heck someone on this site even got pulled over once on 405 after 7pm and had to point the "until 7pm" sign out to the cop .
Old May 23, 2010, 12:35 AM
Evolved Member

^That is what is fugged about the after 7P thing! 520, West of 405 and toward Seattle is 3+, and no jumping in the HOV lane after 7P. 520 on the East of 405 is only 2+ and is okay after 7P. I think I-5 is the other HOV lane that doesn't allow after 7P. 405 is good after 7P.

I have never gotten anything like this in the mail, and I'm always blazin' in the HOV lane when I have the kids in the car. I even got a ticket for it once even though I told the officer I had a kid in the car (and he looked over to verify). Does the brochure mention kids are okay, because I know that is a polarizing argument regarding HOV lanes (seeing as I'm not taking another driver off the road, etc.)
Old May 23, 2010, 07:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jdmEviL8
i know the 405 is after 7pm but i5 is 24/7 2+ requirement.
Old May 23, 2010, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by yahu
^That is what is fugged about the after 7P thing! 520, West of 405 and toward Seattle is 3+, and no jumping in the HOV lane after 7P. 520 on the East of 405 is only 2+ and is okay after 7P. I think I-5 is the other HOV lane that doesn't allow after 7P. 405 is good after 7P.
Yep was too tired to fully write out the 520 explanation last night .

I have never gotten anything like this in the mail, and I'm always blazin' in the HOV lane when I have the kids in the car. I even got a ticket for it once even though I told the officer I had a kid in the car (and he looked over to verify). Does the brochure mention kids are okay, because I know that is a polarizing argument regarding HOV lanes (seeing as I'm not taking another driver off the road, etc.)
I've wondered about this myself. I always assumed that kids counted but it would be good to know the truth.
Old May 23, 2010, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by yahu

yea ill have to look at the brochure again when i get home but i didnt think it said anything about kids...ive always thought that they counted too tho
Old May 23, 2010, 11:34 AM
Evolving Member

This is the site for the HOV lane information, there is no restiction on age or licensing status. So basically if there is 2 or more people in the car ur good (except where it's 3 or more of course).

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/hov/
Old May 23, 2010, 03:00 PM

The thing that pisses me off about carpool lanes is the people who think you can just go "whatever speed you want to" which could be 45mph or 95mph... I got into a big argument with my friend about this and he said "The further left you are, the faster you should go" and I said, "So what if the guy in the right lane is going 95mph, do I drive 120mph?" He just kept saying "the further left you go, the faster you should be going." He says "well then why even get into the carpool lane at all if you are going to go slow?" Well, there are rules, for example: the speed limit...

OH and another thing that pisses me off about carpool lanes: When there is a huge wreck and 3 lanes are blocked, why not just open the carpool lane for ~200 yards to free up the ****ing traffic?
Old May 24, 2010, 07:04 AM
Evolving Member

^ummmmm..... they usually do
Old May 24, 2010, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by x569
The thing that pisses me off about carpool lanes is the people who think you can just go "whatever speed you want to" which could be 45mph or 95mph... I got into a big argument with my friend about this and he said "The further left you are, the faster you should go" and I said, "So what if the guy in the right lane is going 95mph, do I drive 120mph?" He just kept saying "the further left you go, the faster you should be going." He says "well then why even get into the carpool lane at all if you are going to go slow?" Well, there are rules, for example: the speed limit...

OH and another thing that pisses me off about carpool lanes: When there is a huge wreck and 3 lanes are blocked, why not just open the carpool lane for ~200 yards to free up the ****ing traffic?
Generally yes the farther left you are the faster most traffic goes. WA even has a law for this. IE only use left lane for passing or overtaking traffic. Although most cops wont pull you over for this it is a law.

How this applies to HOV lanes is a bit of a grey area but in general faster traffic stays to the left. Obviously if a car is going 95mph in the furthest right lane then there is no point being in the left lane correct?
Old May 24, 2010, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

^lol, calm down Derek. I think what x569 is saying is that when the farthest left lane is HOV it isn't necessarily the "fast lane." That is the way I think of it. Now, if someone is in the HOV lane going under the speed limit I think that is BS. They still have to abide by the law of the land, of course, and why drive slower than the posted limit in that lane when the far right lane goes faster than that, usually?

It pissed me off when some racer hauls up on someone in the HOV lane and starts flashing at them and riding *** when the person in front is driving fast enough. If you want to hot rod around then pass on the right.

That said, if I'm going 70 (normal cruising speed for me on the interstate) and I see someone coming up on me going faster, I hop out if in a good location to do that (where I can hop back in). A lot of people don't. It's all about common sense and common courtesy. Something a lot of people lack, unfortunately.
Old May 24, 2010, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm calm I took my prozac today too WTF I just meant to say that WA has a dumb law for slow left lane drivers. I agree with ya on the HOV. I usually cruise at 70-75mph and sometimes get people coming up on me at 90mph+ just to prove something I guess. Somewhat annoying...at the same time somebody that is doing exactly 60mph in the HOV can quickly cause one of fingers to start twitching

Quick Reply: Carpool Lane