Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

In need of help from a Portland area evo owner

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2010, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by migs647
Exactly.

Way too many miles on them (70k, eek)
I would much rather have a well cared for 9 with 70k miles, than pay 20k for an 8.

But I dont know any other way to say BE PATIENT when finding the best Evo for your $$$.

A WW XI with 7k (yes 7) miles sold 2 weeks ago to an evom member for $24k. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...evo-ix-mr.html

Last edited by nemsin; Aug 6, 2010 at 10:42 AM.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good feedback in here, OP. Hold out on them. Don't force it just cause you drove that far. Good luck, and look forward to meeting you!

There is a big meet next weekend if it all works out! Come regardless; if you don't get the car, you might find someone else selling, and if nothing else, you'll get good information from the rest of us. We look out for each other pretty well.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 12:46 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Yah, yahu is the secretary of the clan
Old Aug 6, 2010, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

^lol - that is Angie's role! She keeps the calendar updated-ish.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 06:04 PM

wow, this thread went a while in a short time. so i went to look at an evo speed sports had a while back and those guys hardly budge on the price and they pressure you hard to buy the car.

not sure if this has been mentioned since i skimmed through the thread, but they've had this car for a while with no buyers. i think at the beginning of summer it was at 21,999. just fyi. you can mention that you know the car has been sitting on the lot for a while and use that to lower the price.

and FWIW, i got my evo IX for the about the same price and slightly less miles. GL with your search
Old Aug 6, 2010, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

Hey guys, phone died so i could use any internet to post, Im at my hotel now in portland area, we are staying the night.

.... i bought the evo!

The town and country shop was very impressed with it, not even one item is marked under caution or pay attention too - only thing is wiper blades need to replaced..

They were very firm on the price, but i appreciated the no bull**** treatment at the dealer - Im always super paranoid of everything but i am pretty damn happy to have the car, i appreciate all the help and advice you guys gave!
Old Aug 6, 2010, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

^as long as you're happy with your purchase, then that is what matters. Hopefully we'll be seeing you around!
Old Aug 6, 2010, 07:40 PM
Evolving Member

I am very happy although im listening to EVERY noise and wondering if there is a problem lol, especially with the BOV (never had a car with one) ....maybe in a month or two I will relax, im convinced it has the death whine lol.

I need to get all fluids changed, dealer quoted 700, where should i take it for it?
Old Aug 6, 2010, 07:41 PM

congrats on your new car! good to hear there were no surprises. enjoy!
Old Aug 6, 2010, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

Now that i am second guessing everything, i swear i hear a tiny tiny whine when in first or second and speeding up, girlfriend thinsk it sounds like a normal engine, am i crazy?! ive listened to death wind videos, and im pretty sure its not that, and you never hear it in 3 or even in 2nd when slowing down
Old Aug 6, 2010, 11:17 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Death whine is usually in 4th, sometimes in 3rd during a cruise no throttle.

I think what you're hearing is the AWD drivetrain. There is a bit of low noise from that, it's awkward to get used to when you haven't heard it before. Grats on the purchase. I really like Town & Country. They are good guys. Glad everything worked out for you. Sorry I couldn't make it out there to help you out.

And btw, now you HAVE to show up for the 8.14.2010 olympia nissan / mitsubishi meet And possibly for the English Racing drive day on sept 4th
Old Aug 6, 2010, 11:48 PM
Evolving Member

I hope to god you are right lol, I've been upset thinking I just screwed up . I went back out there and drove it... It is audible when accelerating throught most the gears I beleive , but I'm pretty sure it is not there at all without giving it gas.... My first money spent will be the 30k service that needs to be done asap.

I'd love to come in august. Send me the details.
Also. The car has a wide band air fuel gauge and turbo gauge.... Is it normal for the wideband to fluxuate?? I need to research it to see what are normal values

Seriouly though ... The guys at town and country were adament about how great this evo is so I just need to calm down . Thanks so much for all the info guys. I'm syked to be an evo owner and I'm excited for the 4 hour drive home tomorrow!!
Old Aug 7, 2010, 12:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think i saw u today over there driving it. i was at the dealer getting fluids for my transfer case and rear end.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 12:41 AM
Evolving Member

I was too googly eyed to pay attention . Were you inside the shop? The bathroom was clogged and my girl and I both had to pee after the non stop 4+ hour drive lol. So they let us into the shop .. They had a pretty sweet car I think he said Luke 550 hp or something
Old Aug 7, 2010, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by drocksmash
I am very happy although im listening to EVERY noise and wondering if there is a problem lol, especially with the BOV (never had a car with one) ....maybe in a month or two I will relax, im convinced it has the death whine lol.

I need to get all fluids changed, dealer quoted 700, where should i take it for it?
Originally Posted by drocksmash
I hope to god you are right lol, I've been upset thinking I just screwed up . I went back out there and drove it... It is audible when accelerating throught most the gears I beleive , but I'm pretty sure it is not there at all without giving it gas.... My first money spent will be the 30k service that needs to be done asap.

I'd love to come in august. Send me the details.
Also. The car has a wide band air fuel gauge and turbo gauge.... Is it normal for the wideband to fluxuate?? I need to research it to see what are normal values

Seriouly though ... The guys at town and country were adament about how great this evo is so I just need to calm down . Thanks so much for all the info guys. I'm syked to be an evo owner and I'm excited for the 4 hour drive home tomorrow!!

Congrats again, and welcome to the family! Here is info about the meet next weekend:
- Meet
- Pre-meet

It would be good to learn the local forum, where most of us hang. You should also get your post count up (to 50) so you can be active in the marketplace (the NW marketplace is linked at the top of the local forum). Your post count doesn't go up when posting in the local forums, marketplace forums, newb forums, or OT forums.

As for fluid changes, I highly suggest you DIY. It will give you a good sense of accomplishment with the new ride and it isn't very difficult. Plus, you will get to see the fluid/drain plugs for yourself (if there is a problem in the tcase, tranny, or rear diff you would likely see signs of it there). I'm sure someone can help you if you don't have the tools/space, etc. If you don't DIY, do not take it to a dealer, unless you enjoy being bent over. English does it, as do more local places like West Werks, I think Speedware, etc.

If you stick with OEM fluid it will cost under $200 for everything. I have an extra unopened container of OEM coolant if you want it for cheap, and you can probably find a couple people with leftover tranny fluid for cheap. Tranny fluid is the most expensive at nearly ~$100, so that can save good money there. The tranny takes a little more than half the container they sell, so you pay ~$100 for about $60 worth of fluid that you use. Find a couple people with leftovers for cheap and you're set! I might have a bit myself that you could have for real cheap.

As for noises, we all want to hear problems, especially with a new car, but I'm guessing it is good. If the dealer took it for a drive they would certainly hear something (at least I would hope!). These cars do make a considerable amount of noise, combined with not as much insulation as you might be used to and a stiff suspension, and you can hear/feel a lot!

I would highly, highly recommend that you get tuned at the dyno day in Auburn on the 21st. English Racing is pretty much the best in the biz, and they happen to be local to us.

The fact that you have a wideband suggests a high probability that this was tuned previously. You could literally be driving around on an unsafe tune, so you should be careful. I'm not trying to scare you, but this car has 36k of unknown history to you and people have outright admitted that they have turned cars in to dealers in a bad state.

The AFR will fluctuate constantly due to the fact that the ratio is ever changing. The question is whether you are running in a safe place, and also running efficiently. You certainly don't want to run lean, and running rich is wasting fuel, and can also cause issues. One of the most important mods you can do is get a high quality tune, and everyone on here (even Shane) will agree.

Hope to meet you soon, and have fun!

*edit - crikey I'm in a blabbering mood this morning!

Last edited by yahu; Aug 7, 2010 at 06:38 AM.