Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

In need of help from a Portland area evo owner

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2010, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
+1 on getting it tuned by English Racing at the upcoming dyno day.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/no...-aug-21st.html
Old Aug 7, 2010, 07:14 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
+2 on getting it tuned by English Racing on the upcoming dyno day . I had a decent tune on my VIII when I bought it, and Aaron still laughed at it . Made more power
Old Aug 8, 2010, 03:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yahu
Congrats again, and welcome to the family! Here is info about the meet next weekend:
- Meet
- Pre-meet

It would be good to learn the local forum, where most of us hang. You should also get your post count up (to 50) so you can be active in the marketplace (the NW marketplace is linked at the top of the local forum). Your post count doesn't go up when posting in the local forums, marketplace forums, newb forums, or OT forums.

As for fluid changes, I highly suggest you DIY. It will give you a good sense of accomplishment with the new ride and it isn't very difficult. Plus, you will get to see the fluid/drain plugs for yourself (if there is a problem in the tcase, tranny, or rear diff you would likely see signs of it there). I'm sure someone can help you if you don't have the tools/space, etc. If you don't DIY, do not take it to a dealer, unless you enjoy being bent over. English does it, as do more local places like West Werks, I think Speedware, etc.

If you stick with OEM fluid it will cost under $200 for everything. I have an extra unopened container of OEM coolant if you want it for cheap, and you can probably find a couple people with leftover tranny fluid for cheap. Tranny fluid is the most expensive at nearly ~$100, so that can save good money there. The tranny takes a little more than half the container they sell, so you pay ~$100 for about $60 worth of fluid that you use. Find a couple people with leftovers for cheap and you're set! I might have a bit myself that you could have for real cheap.

As for noises, we all want to hear problems, especially with a new car, but I'm guessing it is good. If the dealer took it for a drive they would certainly hear something (at least I would hope!). These cars do make a considerable amount of noise, combined with not as much insulation as you might be used to and a stiff suspension, and you can hear/feel a lot!

I would highly, highly recommend that you get tuned at the dyno day in Auburn on the 21st. English Racing is pretty much the best in the biz, and they happen to be local to us.

The fact that you have a wideband suggests a high probability that this was tuned previously. You could literally be driving around on an unsafe tune, so you should be careful. I'm not trying to scare you, but this car has 36k of unknown history to you and people have outright admitted that they have turned cars in to dealers in a bad state.

The AFR will fluctuate constantly due to the fact that the ratio is ever changing. The question is whether you are running in a safe place, and also running efficiently. You certainly don't want to run lean, and running rich is wasting fuel, and can also cause issues. One of the most important mods you can do is get a high quality tune, and everyone on here (even Shane) will agree.

Hope to meet you soon, and have fun!

*edit - crikey I'm in a blabbering mood this morning!

I am trying to get someone to cover my shift on the 13th (i start at 10pm end at 6 am on the 14th) so i can come in august, i would really love that! - There is a group meeting at 0830 litterally 2 blocks from my house to drive down... worse comes to worse ill at least stop by and say hi

I wish i could nominate you for an award of some type, you and everyone else were a ton of help and it is much appreciated... today i drove by 6 honda civics at the local hangout/grocery store, and i had the entire crowd just watching in awe... i love it!
Old Aug 8, 2010, 04:04 AM
Evolved Member

haha, thanks! I think it is good that we help each other out; it really makes the community IMO.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 04:51 AM
Evolving Member

Sadly I dont think i can make the tuneday... but on a day off i wouldnt mind going down to english racing, do i still need to do all that prep work? like taking under carriage and stuff off.. i dont know how to do any of it... yet... lol
Old Aug 8, 2010, 06:33 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by drocksmash
I am trying to get someone to cover my shift on the 13th (i start at 10pm end at 6 am on the 14th) so i can come in august, i would really love that! - There is a group meeting at 0830 litterally 2 blocks from my house to drive down... worse comes to worse ill at least stop by and say hi

I wish i could nominate you for an award of some type, you and everyone else were a ton of help and it is much appreciated... today i drove by 6 honda civics at the local hangout/grocery store, and i had the entire crowd just watching in awe... i love it!
Everyone is really close in the NW imo. We really look out for each other. Though I will admit, I got shunned a bit when I went to a X

Originally Posted by drocksmash
Sadly I dont think i can make the tuneday... but on a day off i wouldnt mind going down to english racing, do i still need to do all that prep work? like taking under carriage and stuff off.. i dont know how to do any of it... yet... lol
Nah no need for prep work, just go down there and they will take care of everything.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

^they might charge ya a couple bucks, but they won't bend you over. It is good to know how to do that, though.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

Just do all the prep work yourself. You can't learn unless you try. If you dont already have one, get a tool set (costco has a huge set for about $100) and a jack and stands. There are lots of people on here that will help you out for beer and food. Installing parts seems really challenging until you get into it, at which point you will see most things aren't that hard.