Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

Problems?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2010, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems?

I think I may have problems. A few months ago I got an Apex Power FC with Power Commander (monitor displaying engine data) put in. I've been paying attention to knock levels. My tuner said that if I get over 30-40 to let him know. Usually I don't get above 20, but for the most part I drive pretty consevatively. However, I was on 405 and an sr20 240 pulled up next to me and dropped a gear. Hell, can't pass that up. I get on it and making shifts around 7-7.5k.. that's as high as I usually push it atm. We make a few pulls and I check my knock and it says the highest recorded was 81? wtf. I didn't hear anything, some bad smells coming from our cars but I don't have a cat and i'm sure he didn't. Drove another 30 minutes home and the car seemed to be fine, all the other numbers looked fine and so did my temp. Another problem I have is a strange squeaking/chirping type thing going on near the cams. Might be normal but It doesn't sound like it would be. My car has 64k miles, I'm about to drop some more money on some other mods but want to make sure I don't need to replace other things. Suggestions?
Old Oct 2, 2010, 10:33 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds like you should contact your tuner.

Other than the squeaking/chirping sound you talk of, I wouldn't worry too much. My car registers a bit of knock on occasion in top gear at WOT.

Last edited by F0RSAKEN; Oct 2, 2010 at 10:36 PM.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 11:29 PM

Yeah, will do. It's like a whirling noise, kind of loud and high pitched. When the car is running and I"m parked I hear it and then when I turn the car off it's the last sound I hear. May just be normal, my car seems to run great. I don't understand knock too well. It's the first time I've seen my car above 30 knock though, so hopefully it's nothing. I think that if it really was at 81 knock then I would've felt something, that would damage my engine wouldn't it?
Old Oct 3, 2010, 12:57 AM
Evolved Member

I dunno how the PowerFC registers knock, but the stock ECU on my car is very unhappy with 8 counts of knock.

Prolonged knock is never good, a bit here and there isn't too bad AFAIK, but I am no pro.

My advice for the sound is find someone local to you who is not new to the Evo, and have them listen and ride in your car.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by F0RSAKEN
I dunno how the PowerFC registers knock, but the stock ECU on my car is very unhappy with 8 counts of knock.

Prolonged knock is never good, a bit here and there isn't too bad AFAIK, but I am no pro.

My advice for the sound is find someone local to you who is not new to the Evo, and have them listen and ride in your car.
Yeah, I went ahead and ordered a Cosworth head gasket. I want to get some strong support parts in there before I do anything more. I've head the Power FC has an issue with knock sensing, it may get way off. However, my engine light will blink when I get on it hard. I don't know how that makes sense bc I dont have the stock ecu so I'm not sure how the engine light flashes. I may have to turn my boost down but I'm running at 1.38 with a taper. I think that equates to around 20 psi? That's not very high. Makes me think something is off internally, I'll just have to have someone else check it out. Thanks for the responses, Forsaken.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 08:58 PM
Evolving Member

If it's cumulative knock over an ignition session that might not be too bad depending on the amount of time it's logged, but if you get 81 counts of true knock on one WOT race, that is horrible. I have my knock light set up for 3 and 6 counts of knock, and hardly ever see it go off.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 09:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
I think (cant remember for sure) the PowerFC measures knock on a ten to one ratio, i.e. 81 is 8.1 counts.

aaron
Old Oct 3, 2010, 09:18 PM

I've actually heard of that sound before from a friend. He took it to Road Race Engineering and they figured it out for him... It was something to do with the MIVEC I believe... try giving them a call.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Guppie1337
I've actually heard of that sound before from a friend. He took it to Road Race Engineering and they figured it out for him... It was something to do with the MIVEC I believe... try giving them a call.
Ah I don't have mivec though. Mine's an 05. Oh, ten to one? That would be great if that's the case. Haha.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 11:30 PM
Evolved Member

8 counts is still pushin' it lol
Old Oct 4, 2010, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by F0RSAKEN
8 counts is still pushin' it lol
8? I don't think 8 is much to worry about. I've been reading that the Power FC records knock differently and can be inaccurate. Especially if the car is modified, it's really sensitive. It's mainly stuff I've read online, can't really trust all the Bro-Science. I just dropped way too much money on ordering new parts. baha.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 12:24 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry you're having issues with your ride.

One question, did you beat the 240??
Old Oct 4, 2010, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jpowning89
8? I don't think 8 is much to worry about. I've been reading that the Power FC records knock differently and can be inaccurate. Especially if the car is modified, it's really sensitive. It's mainly stuff I've read online, can't really trust all the Bro-Science. I just dropped way too much money on ordering new parts. baha.
I was referring to what it would be after the conversion, 10:1. Yours being 81, would equate to 8.1 on stock ECU, and 8 counts not being good.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jpowning89
I've been reading that the Power FC records knock differently and can be inaccurate.
sounds like you answered part of your question.

Accurate tuning and monitoring will be a prudent investment.

I think the 3-bar MAP sensor from English Racing is about $150ish? and tuning. Would be cheaper and more effecient than random parts. (and probably quite a bit cheaper than the PFC was in the first place)
Old Oct 4, 2010, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
8 counts of knock is no good...but realistically not that bad. Not uncommon to see spikes when going into 5th or 6th sometimes. You would be pulling 2-3* of timing though which doesn't help power. Any particular reason running the Power FC though? They aren't bad by any means but being what Ecuflash is able to accomplish and the amount of support for it and available tuners it would be easier to get your tune dialed in better. Seeing as one of the better local tuners in the area is quite known in these parts you might be able to sell the Apexi unit and get a better tune and have money left over...just my thought

Last edited by dbsears; Oct 4, 2010 at 12:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Problems?