Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

battery light and e-brake light???

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2010, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
battery light and e-brake light???

Here is what the car is doing. with the battery hooked up, the battery light and the ebrake lights stay on. with or without the car running. I have drove the car a few time with the problem and the car drives just fine. Battery will drain down to half over night.

So, I have done all I can and inspected everything I can think of... lets see if anyone else has any idea.

It all started with a battery blow out and so I upgraded to a yellow top. Before the last battery died, the car has no known electrical problem at all.

So the first yellow top I'd got was a bad battery and it wont hold a charge, so I went traded it in for a second one. still there was not any electrical problem except the battery wont hold a charge.

After I installed the second battery, I noticed that the battery is draining over night, so I charged it with a deep cycle charger with the battery in the car, the next morning the battery only has 40% charged. so I thought it was another battery but I didnt want to take it back just yet, I took the battery out of the car and charged it to 100% and it has been at 100% sitting outside the car for 6 days now... so the battery is good.

I have removed/ disconnected all the after market electronics in the car including turbo timer stereo and meth+fail safe. So, its all factory wiring right now. I have inspected all the wiring around and under the battery for damage and broken wire. so far, nothing.

I am thinking a relate or fuse, but I have checked all the fuses and I mean all of them. they are all fine... ... and I dont know much about relates...

PLEASE HELP!!!
Old Oct 6, 2010, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

throw a multimeter on the battery while its running? does it show around 14v? if not then your alternator is bad...if it does then i would do a parasitic draw test....throw the multimeter on inline of the negative battery cable and monitor amps with the key off as you pull fuses...as a general rule about .030amps (30 miliamps) is acceptable
Old Oct 6, 2010, 05:38 PM

Ok.. I will go try that right now... But how does that explain the ebrake light and battery light???
Old Oct 6, 2010, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

that will help u diagnose the battery light....was the brake light on even before you disconnected the turbo timer?
Old Oct 6, 2010, 08:03 PM

yes...the lights were on before i disconnected anything.

and the voltage check for the alt checks good.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 09:12 PM
Evolving Member

Have you physically checked the e-brake switch to see if it has failed in the closed position some how? You'd have to pull out the center console to get access to it. Also, make sure you're brake fluid level isn't low as that could be a cause for the brake light. I don't think there is a separate light for e-brake and other brake related faults are there?

Is the battery light always on? Even when you hook up the freshly charged battery? I don't have any real advice for this one.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 10:55 PM
Evolving Member

its known in evos to have brake light on along with batt in some cases.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 11:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Alternator is probably on it's way out. It's an Evo thing when your battery and ebrake light are on constantly or flashing.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 11:26 PM
Evolving Member

Alternator. Have fun with that. Its a *****! And make sure to get a OEM or better. Parts stores use the base Lancer and it will not fit. I found out the hard way.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 02:29 AM
Evolving Member

Alternator

Yep, it's the alternator...its done...start car....disconnect the neg side of the battery...motor stops....alternator is done!
Old Oct 7, 2010, 05:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by outlaws69
Ok.. I will go try that right now... But how does that explain the ebrake light and battery light???
I believe the e-brake circuit is part of the alternator circuit. At least my Toyota Celica was wired that way. So the alternator fails, both e-brake light and battery light illuminate.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 03:10 PM

Ok... read all the wires... everything seems to be fine.

did the start the car and pull off the Negative... car shuts off. is it really the alternator? how real is this? Should I replace the alternator?

guess I will make a trip to autozone and have them test it out!!!

Last edited by outlaws69; Oct 7, 2010 at 04:21 PM.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 06:16 PM

If its the alternator, you better call Bruce Titus, they had the last 2 new alternators for an evo in the whole nation. Keenan had to replace his a few weeks ago, which means they were down to one!
Old Oct 7, 2010, 06:22 PM
Evolving Member

With all the wrecked Evos on this site there is sure to be a good one had somewhere.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 07:32 PM

Idk, spending that much money on an alternator that someone "says" is good, might not be worth it, just spend the extra to get a brand new one that is going to work with no doubt.

Quick Reply: battery light and e-brake light???