Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

dumb but easy question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2011, 09:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dumb but easy question

So I have been thinking about relocating my radio lower and getting prosport or defi gauges where it used to be.
I looked at the radio relocation kit, and it looks odly familiar to my car...

Based on the pics below, do i have the radio relocate kit installed and instead of the radio moved, the stock 9 gauge 3 pack in its place?

so confused.
Attached Thumbnails dumb but easy question-imag0167.jpg   dumb but easy question-imag0166.jpg  
Old Jan 18, 2011, 10:00 PM
Evolving Member

LOL. Umm, that's how they come stock. With the radio on top and the gauges on the bottom. I moved my radio down where your 3 gauges are and have 3 digital gauges on top. (Like where you want your Defi's.) I didn't buy a relocate kit. I just did some hammering of the brackets and it works and fits great. But I have an A/M deck and bezel, not the stock unit.

Oh, please don't paint the interior takata green.

If you're talking about the surround piece that goes around the 3 gauges, yes, you reuse that to go around your radio when you move it down. The relocate kit comes with brackets that fits your radio down there. Like I said, I just made it work.

Last edited by RoninVIIIRS; Jan 18, 2011 at 10:07 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 10:03 PM
Evolved Member

I'm pretty sure that is all stock. That is where the IX 3 gauge cluster goes. I'm not sure what cars look like without that cluster, though.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RoninVIIIRS
Oh, please don't paint the interior takata green.
bwahahah at this.

sorry im no help. just trollling

edit: have you considered giving it a try? ill look for a how to that might help you in the process...

Last edited by josel_atr; Jan 18, 2011 at 10:09 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 10:06 PM
Evolving Member

I am not painting it green lol. I dont understand why everyone says i am over doing the green....

i have 3 green things... wheels, badge, and the hood grate (interior grate not mesh on top)
And only 2 are ever visible at any given time...

So what exactly isthe point of the relocation kit? If i can just rip the 9 gauges out, and put the radio down there?

I want a new deck to, but I dont know how to install one, so that will be up to best buy4

finished reading your post. I guess ill just buy the kit since my last DIY project failed or was a pain in the ***

I hate you josel

Last edited by drocksmash; Jan 18, 2011 at 10:09 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 10:08 PM
Evolved Member

the point of the relo kit is to get the gauges up top, in yo face! moving the radio is just part of that process.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 10:10 PM
Evolving Member

I never bought the kit so I'm not sure. But I think the biggest thing it comes with are the brackets that will make your radio fit down there. The brackets for the radio up top won't fit down there without modification. But you can make it work..........I did.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 10:12 PM
Evolving Member

I know the purpose of the kit, I want the damn radio down there, just eyeballing it looked like i could fit the radio down there,and just ditch the 9 gauges all together, then buy a 3 x 52 or 60mm holder and put it wher the radio is now.

i see what you are saying about the brackets now though
Old Jan 18, 2011, 10:15 PM
Evolved Member

lol - misread your post. I thought you were at the start of a loooong night.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 10:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by drocksmash
I know the purpose of the kit, I want the damn radio down there, just eyeballing it looked like i could fit the radio down there,and just ditch the 9 gauges all together, then buy a 3 x 52 or 60mm holder and put it wher the radio is now.

i see what you are saying about the brackets now though
Yes. Exactly bro. I got a cheapo one from Summit. It's just a 3, 52mm face plate.

It's a must do mod in my opinion. You could be going a buck 40 at the track or on the freeway(whatever floats your boat) and still keep your head up and out.

Last edited by RoninVIIIRS; Jan 18, 2011 at 10:26 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 10:20 PM
Evolving Member

i wish i knew what i was doing, **** wouldnt seem like such a chore lol.

How hard is it to install a radio? 1-10 level, ive always paid best buy to do it
Old Jan 18, 2011, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

just a radio - not hard at all. the toughest part is probably taking out the face to get to the internals, just a lot of busy work for your first time. as long as you have the correct harness and rails, it is pretty much plug-n-play.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 10:27 PM
Evolved Member

eff i cant find a nice how to guide for you, but its fairly simple.

- grab a screw driver
- remove the hvac knobs, take the 2 screws out
- remove the hvac panel. pull it out from the holes, it will pop out
- undo 4 screws on the radio
- remove the harnesses (theres three if you have ssl: antenna, main harness and the odd ball amp)

- never seen a ix gauges before, but there should be 2 screws at the top holding the front panel. you can pull that out easily.
- (not sure what/how the ix gauges are hooked up, ill leave it up to you to you to find out haha)

- finally, try out the radio if it fits at the bottom. dont worry about the harnesses, it should be long enough to reach the bottom. if this fits, youre good. if not, modify it or spend 60 bucks on this:

http://www.mitsubishiparts.net/catal...ction=466#1525

good luck brah!
Old Jan 18, 2011, 10:29 PM
Evolved Member

dan is right, all you need is the correct harness to go on the stock main harness to connect on an aftermarket deck. it sound simple, just make sure you connect the wires properly...
Old Jan 19, 2011, 07:19 AM

This is something I want to do as well. I think its a bit tarded that the gauges came stock down at the flippin bottom, but my step one will be relocating, then step two will be new gauges a little later.

Installing a stereo is easy pretty easy, only concern part is making sure you don't damage anything taking it out. It's pretty much plug and play these days. Didn't install my stereo in the Evo because install came with it for free, so might as well use it.

And I just read Dan's post again and mine sounds tardedly similar.. Haha. Oh well, at least you know there's a consensus.

Quick Reply: dumb but easy question