Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

Help with exhaust ticket

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2011, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with exhaust ticket

I got a "defective exhaust" ticket and i was looking for some help guys. What did you guys do to get one waved. I got it in Aberdeen of all places. Cop said if i could get proof that oem is back on they might wave it. How he assumed what a stock evo would sound like is beyond me, in aberdeen at that. Could I get a local shop to say that my exhaust is OEM?
Old Jun 7, 2011, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here in NY.

Either get another Cop or Repair Station to fill out the form or repair within 24hrs and it's clear.

I have recieved about 4 so far, LOL. Luckily my friend is a cop.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

Yea I would contact the court or something to find out what you have to do in order to get it approved as a stock setup...A better question would be to ask for the cops proof and qualifications in determining that your exhaust was not stock...I have had this same problem when I've been pulled over too its a joke!...I've just gotten lucky with only getting a warning
Old Jun 7, 2011, 10:43 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
As far as I know it's not illegal to have an aftermarket exhaust, so he can't give you a ticket specifically for your exhaust not being stock. He can however give you a ticket for it being to loud or for not having the stock cat...

As far as how to deal with it, I have no idea... Looks like you just came across a jackass cop... Just going out on a limb here, since he gave you a ticket for a "defective exhaust" you should be able to get a cop to sign off on it, saying "see, it's not defective anymore". I don't think it needs to be stock as long as you find a decent cop and not one that's bitter he didn't get drafted to the NFL from highschool... Might wanna put on your stock cat in case the cop checks that... Attempt this at your own risk, I don't know if it'll work or not

Just for the record, any non stock emissions equipment is illegal, highflow cat included...
Old Jun 8, 2011, 04:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Talk to your local Cops & WSP

Awhile back I was stopped in a county other than the one I live in for having my window tint a bit too dark. The WSP that snagged me wanted all of the windows redone. When I got home I had a talk with my LOCAL WSP. They told me that they could sign off on the ticket and all they wanted me to do was to "lighten up" the two front side window. I did as they requested and now I keep a copy of their "write off" in the glove box in case I meet up with that other officer again or any of his narrow minded brothers.

My point is that if the ticket you received was from someplace else other than where you live your home town cops might cut you some slack. They would also be the one's who could sign off on the exhaust so it might be worthwhile to get their perspective before you spend money changing something they might think is cool.

Orange Max
Old Jun 8, 2011, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by OrangeMax
Awhile back I was stopped in a county other than the one I live in for having my window tint a bit too dark. The WSP that snagged me wanted all of the windows redone. When I got home I had a talk with my LOCAL WSP. They told me that they could sign off on the ticket and all they wanted me to do was to "lighten up" the two front side window. I did as they requested and now I keep a copy of their "write off" in the glove box in case I meet up with that other officer again or any of his narrow minded brothers.

My point is that if the ticket you received was from someplace else other than where you live your home town cops might cut you some slack. They would also be the one's who could sign off on the exhaust so it might be worthwhile to get their perspective before you spend money changing something they might think is cool.

Orange Max
I will try this