Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

V8 guys bashing on the Evo

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2012, 04:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dsm1212
Exactly! lol. He has converted it over to be almost a complete cobra now tho. They are pretty chill guys when you meet them, just like to start s*** on the internet I guess.

Most of the other mustang owners I met last night were all pretty cool, and talked about how they would buy an Evo or wish they would have had the money to get one.

It is funny that they guy in the yellow stang gets so pissed when he loses lol. They other guy in the Z06 was telling me that they both make identical power on the dyno and that he walks him every time.

Ah well just thought I would share the stupidity of some people with you guys.
so he destroyed a limited production model? even worse lol
Old Feb 3, 2012, 08:44 PM

eh... you cant blame them for sh*t talking... the mustang and Camaro guys have been talking trash to each other since the mid/late 60's about who can go faster in a straight line.

Hell, I traded a 2010 IOM SS/RS Camaro for my RA... and my Dad worked for GM for 40 years, my uncle worked for Ford for 33 years and I worked for GM for 15!

Its impossible to convince someone that owns 6.0L and 400hp that going smaller could possibly be better... until you take them for a ride in one or like me, let them drive one.

you want to convince a Mustang/Camaro owner to trade in his car, its not going to happen with him behind the wheel of his mustang/camaro, give him a helmet and take him around a track... 1 lap and if he hasnt shat himself, he'll be eyeballing every AWD car he sees with envy... until he trades his 2010 Camaro in on one...
Old Feb 4, 2012, 09:35 AM

Meh, I've worked on and driven many high hp cobras, mustangs, camaros etc. toss a turn in there and they fall apart.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Last year we had a company retreat and one of the guys bought a Supercharged Saleen Mustang was there... Both of us respected each other's cars, but he still had never ridden in an Evo. English just converted my car to E85 about 3 weeks before the retreat, so of course I'll take him out and get on it.

I took him for a pretty spirited drive, the only words out of his mouth during the trip, and the next 3 hours after we got back were, "Holy F$^# your car is fast, I can't believe how fast that thing is." over and over haha
Old Feb 5, 2012, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by F0RSAKEN
That idea is fail. It'd make the f/r balance of the car even worse than it is, and you'd lose the AWD, or basically everything that makes it what it is. Also, it's been done (to a lesser extent, LS1) by an Arab guy.

There are some hard truths to vehicle performance. Physics is physics. Mainly, there is no replacement for displacement. That adage is true, no matter how you slice it. Sure, smaller engines make due with boost, VVT, higher rev's, more boost. But add those things to a larger engine, and guess what? More power.

In general, Japanese manufacturers' engines develop similar power levels to an equivalent Domestic competitor, and this is due mostly to them squeezing everything (efficiency) out of their engines, and us barely using the potential that the displacement advantage we have would allow.

That means that tuned vs. tuned, Domestic cars will almost always make more reliable useable power than an Import. And by this I mean equivalent money going where it needs to go to maximize performance. 10k into a LS7 will make more power than 10k into a 4G63.

Where Imports really shine is in chassis development. I WISH Domestic manufacturers would take notes. The Evo chassis is sooooo much stiffer and more responsive than almost any Domestic car built even now, that it makes me sad. I'd love to have a 2012 Camaro SS/Z28/ZL1 (I actually like the way they look), with the 6.2l engine they come with, bumped up to within an acceptable level of power per liter (80 at least), weights in at 3300lbs (less is obviously better, but 3300 is reasonable), and had a chassis set up like a GTR.

Basically, they make better balanced cars taking power, function, handling, and price all into account. We make engines with more potential. That sound far better.

Nothing like a 496cu/in engine with dual 4" exhaust at 7k rpm. Nothing.
Thank you Andrew for the in depth explanation here...honestly I was joking about throwing an LS7 into an Evo...It would look good on a dyno but in the real world you are correct it would definitely throw the weight distribution of the Evo off...Honestly IMO one of the best V8 powered cars is the C6 Z06 when you're talking in terms of weight distribution...Front Engine Rear Trans/Diff is the only way your ever going to get the physical weight distributed across all axles in a fairly even manner...And I agree with the part where you say a V8 will always have more "potential" power output than a 4 Cylinder boosted or not...I've had this arguement with so many people and they never understand it ...Its just the law of physics, the more air you displace the more power you will make...Same turbo on both engines at the same boost level the V8 will make more power...This gets me thinking though...What if you have a 6 cylinder displacing 3.0L and then you have a V8 displacing 3.0L? I'm guessing this would come down to piston/bore/engine design and how efficient the engine was engineered (valve design, head design ect.)...Interesting
Old Feb 5, 2012, 02:54 PM

so would anyone like to go to there meets all they have are mustangs and part of that conversation was about my evo.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by LCEvo
so would anyone like to go to there meets all they have are mustangs and part of that conversation was about my evo.

what is the question? I went to the meet last week, and it was probably about 12 mustangs, 3 srt-4's, probably 5 bmw, some civics, a gti, z06, couple trucks, a g8, some camaros, and my evo. I guess some guy in a GTR comes out most weeks.

They meet in some underground parking garage in Mill creek off of 128th right across the street from azul's. Cant remember the name of the place tho.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 08:52 PM

That sounds like the place Shmooly talked about. There's a post around here somewhere about it. Found it... https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/no...day-night.html

what is the question? I went to the meet last week, and it was probably about 12 mustangs, 3 srt-4's, probably 5 bmw, some civics, a gti, z06, couple trucks, a g8, some camaros, and my evo. I guess some guy in a GTR comes out most weeks.

They meet in some underground parking garage in Mill creek off of 128th right across the street from azul's. Cant remember the name of the place tho.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cars meeting in an underground parking garage? That sounds a little too Fast and Furious!
Old Feb 8, 2012, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts
2500 hp? Lol wtf is he 10 years old? Oh yeah well my grandmas rocket ship has 10000 hp so I'm faster, xD thanks op I needed a good laugh. As for meeting up with him I wouldn't waste my time.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^ hahah

I saw someone say Washington, and I was hoping I was going to see Aaron in there somewhere. I was glad he posted lol.