Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

Any WA auto-x'ers?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2004, 09:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any WA auto-x'ers?

There is a guy I know with a red Evo that auto-x'd his car a couple times and did really well. I was wondering if there are any other Evo owners who are interested in taking their cars out. I'd really like to see them run or even ride along.
Old Feb 11, 2004, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

Hey Mark ya i seen that red evo at the autocross last year. He did really well. I live in Kennewick, WA so im really close to the track. Ill be heading out there this year and if your around your more then welcome to come along.
Old Feb 12, 2004, 10:01 AM

I'm also in Kennewick and I'll have my new white EVO out at the track this year.

Where were you for the Sand and Sage Sports Car Club meeting that was last night?

Additional info on SSSCC at http://ssscc.org/index2.html

Mark Rieb
Old Feb 12, 2004, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

Hey mark you work at Port of Pasco? I seen a white evo down there. We will have to run sometime. What you got done to it? I would have been there but didnt even know that there was a meeting.
Old Feb 12, 2004, 09:42 PM

Yup, that's me.

Just sold my green Galant VR-4 last Saturday and picked up the EVO the same day. I haven't done anything to the car yet. I need to see how the service department is going to react.

The local service department used to be minions of satan and I refused to take my car there for the last 6 years or so. But they have changed owners since, so I'll give them a try again.

I'm already looking at the basics, exhaust intake, boost controller, ECU mods and I'd love to have a set of JIC's, but that will all wait a year or so. I may actually have either Andreas in Seattle or a friend of mine that lives down in Bend and runs an exhaust shop with a mandrel bender do up an exhaust sooner rather than later. I miss being able to hear the car.

Some photo's of the GVR-4 and it's mods are still listed at: http://routney.com/marker.htm

I'm anxious to get a few more miles on the EVO so I can twist it's tail and see how it really performs. I'm also anxious to get it out on the track and see how it does.

Mark
Old Feb 12, 2004, 09:58 PM
Evolving Member

When are some auto-x meets going on? I live in pullman, but would be more than willing to drive to the tri cities to put my car to the track. It is not an evo(I have an RA) but I refuse to street race and would like to throw my car around some corners.

Stephen
Old Feb 12, 2004, 11:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i plan to autox a few times this summer.

http://www.wwscc.org/ races at Bremerton a lot.
Old Feb 13, 2004, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

Hey Mark:
I just realized who you are. You used to work at Parsons. I used to be your computer tech from Computer Tutor. Probably dont remember me but you had the vr-4 then that you autocrossed. I had a altima then that i dragged. Remember?? Chris??? Anyway at least i can say that since im not the only one in town with a evo anymore at least the other one belongs to somone i know will take car of it. We are a rare breed in our town. Only 2 Blue and White. haha. Anyway talk to you later or see you at the track.
Old Feb 13, 2004, 09:34 AM

I do remember you, you had the Chameleon paint at the bottom of the car.

I'm still with Parsons, we have a big fabrication shop out in the old port of Pasco now as well as the Richland office.

xtephenx, There is a 2004 calendar at the SSSCC web page: http://ssscc.org/index2.html

There is also quite an active autox club in Spokane that might be closer if you live in Pullman. I think there is a link to the Spokane group on the SSSCC web page.

Mark
Old Feb 13, 2004, 11:05 AM
CJK
Evolving Member

Old Feb 13, 2004, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Mark:
You dont get off that easy. I live in Kennewick. So ill be seeing you at the track. You gotta have some competition right! Well its been along time and glad to hear your doing good. Maybe we can get together sometime and have lunch to talk about the cars i got some ideas and with your knowledge i think we can make things happen. As far as the flash is concerned im looking at getting one right now but not sure if i want to get a flash or a standalone. What do you think? I currently got Perrin 3" downpipe, Perrin Cat delete pipe, HKS Carbon Ti Exhaust, HKS 264/272 cams, HKS Cam Gears, HKS EVC 5 boost controller. Guess its a start!
Old Feb 17, 2004, 06:55 AM

Stop by anytime at work. I usually take lunch somewhere between 11:00 and noon. You can always call first at 547-7724

I don't know enough (yet) about the ECU re-flashes to make much of an informed decision. I've got quite a bit of experience with the DSM ECU, and had a KeyDiver chip in my Galant that adjusted for the 2G MAS, 550 injectors and a few other things.

Mitsu's run notoriously rich from the factory as protection from idiots. You can lean things out and pick up some power, but at the chance of hurting something. I wouldn't think that the gains from a flash would be that great until you add bigger injectors or a much bigger turbo, especially on the 91 octane gas we get here (although the 76 station on Oregon Street has 100 unleaded octane available). The biggest advantage for your level of mods that I can see is additional boost control and getting rid of fuel cut.

Where did you buy your parts? I had heard that there was an EVO at Option-R getting the exhaust fitted, must have been your car. Sounds like you have a pretty good jump on the mods. What does the dealer service department say about them? I'm going to wait a bit to start modding mine, but exhaust, intake, boost control and gauges are first on my list. Option-R is much better than Trick-It, but I still don't trust any of those guys to work on my car.

For exhaust, I've pretty much narrowed it down to a couple of places. I've heard from a reliable source that Certified Exhaust in Florida is going to start making EVO exhausts, they are a long time DSM vendor and make a nice product. Otherwise, I'll probably stick with Buschur or have a shop down in Bend that I know of with a mandrel bender do a custom exhaust.

I haven't found an intake that I like yet. Most of them just put a cone filter in the engine compartment. I've got datalogs from my Galant that shows that is a bad idea. The hot, turbulent underhood air hurts power more than the open filter helps.

And I may actually bite the bullet and go electronic for boost control this time, although it is hard to beat a $75 Halman controller.

I'd really like to have a set of the carbon fiber A-pillars from Carbon-Trix, but they are pretty expensive. I'm not sure what to use for gauges either. I had 60mm peak-hold Greedy units in the Galant, pretty nice, but too expensive. And I'm not really sure what I want for the second gauge. An EGT is not nearly as useful as I thought it would be, the same goes for the Air/Fuel gauges.

I also need to keep my eyes open for some more wheels. I need to pick up two additional sets of wheels. One for some winter/snow tires and another set for some race/track tires. I wouldn't mind having another set of stock wheels, but the ones I see for sale are a bit high at around $800 a set. Especially when I can get new, similar Enkei's for $150 to $180 each.

Mark Rieb
Old Feb 17, 2004, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Mark:
Ya im gonna defiantly give you a call. I got a good deal on the HKS Carbon Ti Exhaust since nobody wants to pay the $800 for the catback. So there is allot in stock. I know everybody down at Option R and they are cool people. Im trying to get with the girl there get better prices know what i mean!! haha... Anyway i wouldn’t go to Option R anymore. They are falling apart and lost there best mechanic. I can tell you i keep in touch with the mechanic that worked there and he is starting his own business with another guy. You wanna see some HP you gotta see his RX-7 fully build turbo. Oh man nice work and he did it all. They even are working on making some headers. There other car is a Honda Civic Hatch with a H22 Turbo making 370HP to the wheels. Not too bad for a Honda..Hahah.. J/K Honda lovers! There are a couple other cars that are fast around town but im trying to get them to autocross but you know they built there car for drag racing and wouldn’t be able to do much at autocross. Anyway there are 2 Supra's in town. One that is fixed up a little but still got the twin turbo setup. Then there is another one that has the Single Turbo upgrade and fully built. It is awesome!!! One other thing there is one other RX-7 that has dyno sheets at 460HP to the wheels. Next weekend there is a race between one of the Supra's and that RX-7 for some big money. After that im gonna run the twin turbo supra and see how it does. Anyway enough BS i gotta go get some 100 octane from the gas station on Oregon. Keep in touch we will have to get together sometime.

Chris VanOmmen
308-7777
Old Mar 14, 2004, 09:39 PM

Just a note to remind anybody that is interested, the first Tri-Cities Autocross of the season is Sunday March 28th. See http://www.ssscc.org for directions and other details.

I'll be there racing

Mark