Notices

Looking into the Outlander Sport

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2011, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh yeah Hiboost, the Sport looks sweet with those BBS rims on it!
Old Dec 3, 2011, 07:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by vader69
Oh yeah Hiboost, the Sport looks sweet with those BBS rims on it!
+1 vader! Oh are you liking your Outlander sport? Pics?
Old Dec 6, 2011, 05:37 PM

so far so good

I personally love my Outie Sport, just wished I would have bought an AWD. Its definitely no drag car off the line, but the paddle shifters help. I haven't stepped up to any mods yet (thinking of a Short Ram Intake, and RoadRace Motorsports Next Stage Power Pro to start with). This is my first Mitsu so far and I gotta say I like it. The longest trip so far has been 6 hours one way loaded with wife,kids & luggage got 29.6 MPG @ 75-80mph most of the way, so gotta say I'm enjoying the gas mileage (much better than the fullsize chevy truck I got rid of). I am much more impressed with this than most of the DSM products before it. I live just about 5-6 miles away from the plant that will be making the Outlander Sport, definitely quite of few Outie Sports around here.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had bought a 2011 white Outlander Sport. I had it for almost a year and traded in for my Evo. Overall we liked the Outlander. It was very practical and we bought a brand new SE for $18k so my payment was a little over $300 a month.

As said, the car was very practical but boring. I'm not sure how to describe why. There was just nothing special about it I guess. It has room for 4 and the fold down seats came in handy a couple of times. I liked the proximity key and push to start.

I believe something may have been wrong with mine I guess. I did not get close to the mpg others on here are saying and nothing close to the 31mpg highway Mitsu advertises.

With city or highway I would get about 24mpg. Even all highway driving I would get 24mpg. And when you need to accelerate it was soooo slow. The engine would get loud and it would make an attempt. But it wasnt very quick. I know Mitsu was trying to make a SUV with good gas mileage but it was severly under powered and no matter how slow I accelerated I could not get much better than 24mpg. My Eclipse GS has alot more spunk and gets better mpg. I have a spyder also and I know they are pretty heavy.

Overall it was a pretty decent car. I think they should have atleast dropped in the Eclipse engine in it or something. A 2.4L would probably have close to the same mpg and have a little more get up and go to it. I will miss the extra space the vehicle has but I love the Evo. I actually like commuting now.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 04:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I agree they should have likely gone with 2.4L if they were going to leave the Outlander Sports with just one engine combo. Then the performance would be between the base Outlander 2.4L and Outlander GT but with slightly better MPG due to the lower weight and better aero. Much of the extra MPG is lost when the wind kicks up or you have to climb bigger hills. On flat ground during the winter my car seems to get 22-24 MPG around town which is as advertised but the highway MPG is all over the place. On flat ground with a carefull pedal at 65 mph it does manage 27-29 MPG but much faster you will quickly drop down.

I'm going to test various MIVEC settings this week and see if I can see how much that effects the MPG driving a test stretch of road. It won't be exact but I can get trends by getting average TPS, Airflow, Timing, PSI, and RPM based on an averaged speed close to 65 mph and see if the MPG calculator will be accurate enough over a flat section of highway with cruise control set and no traffic. Obviously I'll have to choose nights with no wind and dry conditions and make sure the car is fully warmed up before each test run.

If a certain tune combo is more efficient it should show up in the numbers that can be duplicated. Nice part about the CVT is that it will raise RPM as more power is needed to maintain speed with cruise set so if I can get it to hold the speed using less RPM and TPS that should indicate it's more efficient.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 10:07 PM

2011 outlander sport se

Sup guys bought the outlander sport for the wife and its a fun crossover to drive yeah its not build like my Evo VIII MR but looks agressive like the Evo X get good MPG looks better than the rouge, juke and anything else in its class. The only thing that did bug was the nosie it makes on hard accel but with the system up i could care less. was looking to see if anyone made and aftermarket parts like lip kits or a good exhaust. I've seem the DAMD kit look cool but hard to find someone local that can get it. All in all its fun to drive not bad for 24K well that how much I paid for the se with the everyting but the navi and rear cam
Old Jun 22, 2012, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by kyoo
would be awesome to drop a evo x mr powertrain in it
I favor that!!!!
Old Jun 25, 2012, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by OutlanderSport1
I favor that!!!!
If they made this vehicle with more hp it would be a great vehicle. My 2 complaints is how slow it was and how loud it was during acceleration. Offer a GT model with a 2.4L or even a V-6. The lack of power was really noticeable to me. Also wish they would offer it with a regular transmission. I am just not a fan of the CVT
Old Jun 28, 2012, 06:46 PM

honestly i was hesitent about this purchase even though i hate dealers but i think i got a fairly good deal on mines, i love the vehicle but being a suv and under powered is the my problem. a friend from the dealer told me that mitsubishi is coming out with the outie sport with a v6 down the road same motor in the other model mitsubishi

get it you will be impressed just so you know the 2012 is not that much of a difference than my 2011...actually less evoiestic look
Old Jun 29, 2012, 02:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by OutlanderSport1
honestly i was hesitent about this purchase even though i hate dealers but i think i got a fairly good deal on mines, i love the vehicle but being a suv and under powered is the my problem. a friend from the dealer told me that mitsubishi is coming out with the outie sport with a v6 down the road same motor in the other model mitsubishi

get it you will be impressed just so you know the 2012 is not that much of a difference than my 2011...actually less evoiestic look

What kind of exterior changes were made different on the 2012 than the 2011?
Also has anyone changed the intake, headers, exhuast...?
Another thing I'm wondering has anyone tried it with the "Sprint Booster" ?
Someone get those parts and tell me what you think afterwards.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 06:34 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Newuser213
What kind of exterior changes were made different on the 2012 than the 2011?
Also has anyone changed the intake, headers, exhuast...?
Another thing I'm wondering has anyone tried it with the "Sprint Booster" ?
Someone get those parts and tell me what you think afterwards.

Yes, a few of us have... One thread was only two lines below this one:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ou...-mod-list.html

and most importantly:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ou...yno-sheet.html

I have a K&N drop-in, I highly reccomend it as there is a lot of bang for your buck. VERY noticable power and MPG gains. I got mine off of amazon.com for ~$40 with shipping and with the increased MPGs I have actually already paid off the initial cost of the filter and I'm now making money off of it lol
Old Jul 24, 2012, 07:01 AM

Thanks for the K&N recommendation, I bought this one off amazon and love it. It makes a difference and sounds better when using the paddle shifters.

K&N 33-2392 Air Filter K&N 33-2392 Air Filter
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:01 PM
EvoM Moderator

Originally Posted by tdott
Thanks for the K&N recommendation, I bought this one off amazon and love it. It makes a difference and sounds better when using the paddle shifters.

K&N 33-2392 Air Filter

Same one I got. Also, I just realized we've chatted about this issue over on MitsubishiForums lol. Glad you're enjoying it and I have every intention of continuing to "advertise" that upgrade because it really does make a big impact and the car more enjoyable.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 01:15 PM

I tested the outlander sport 2011. Everything I read about the buzzy engine in the reviews is true. It seems too buzzy when you accelerate at city speeds, and on highway it is OK. For 2012 they are supposed to have better noise insulation and tuning for this. I think the steering is vague and there is a big dead zone. Handling is pretty good. It feels too much like a rental car and boring to drive. The seat bottom is very firm and the rear leg room is tight. The seats bottoms and rear leg room is just like the first gen Scion XB. I'm surprised they made a simulated 6 speed, which actually feels like it is real. Overall I could live with but not very engaging. It was also shorter than the sedan I was replacing, so I was looking for more space and this was not it. There are many good things going for it like the center color LCD, nice gauges, nice steering wheel / position and good paddle shifter, good exterior appearance.

Then I hopped onto the regular outlander 2.4L immediately and felt the seat bottom is more comfortable and the rear seating and leg room is much improved. The engine also ran much smoother even though it is a heavier vehicle. The steering is improved as well, I think it is still hydralic rack and pinion which is similar feel to my DSM eclipse. Rear seats slide and reclines, the outtie sport also reclines but not slide.

Finally sold on the Outlander GT with S-AWC, which stays glued on the road I felt the slight correction that it is doing on the tight turns. The engine sounds good when you start it. It has no problem going 80mph up the hills on freeway. Pulls like a truck at lower RPM and Mivec pulls the rest to redline. Most of the time under 70mph the engine is no more than 2000 RPM. I am most impressed with this engine the S-AWC and think it is worth the price difference.

I also tested many other Japanese CUVs. Many of them ride like pudding which moves my head move left and ride and the Mitsu's doesn't. I wouldn't be able to stand it on canyon roads but with the Mitsu I look forward to the twisties.

So be sure to check out all models of the outlander family.

Sad to see Mitsu softening the look of the completely redesigned 2013 outlander but it will help them blend in the market along Rav4s and CRVs. The interior looks much improved but the awesome S-AWC is gone.

Last edited by FastGST; Jul 30, 2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 07:30 AM
EvoM Moderator

Originally Posted by FastGST
I tested the outlander 2011. Everything I read about the buzzy engine in the reviews is true. It seems too buzzy when you accelerate at city speeds, and on highway it is OK. For 2012 they are supposed to have better noise insulation and tuning for this. I think the steering is vague and there is a big dead zone. Handling is pretty good. It feels too much like a rental car and boring to drive. The seat bottom is very firm and the rear leg room is tight. The seats bottoms and rear leg room is just like the first gen Scion XB. I'm surprised they made a simulated 6 speed, which actually feels like it is real. Overall I could live with but not very engaging. It was also shorter than the sedan I was replacing, so I was looking for more space and this was not it. There are many good things going for it like the center color LCD, nice gauges, nice steering wheel / position and good paddle shifter, good exterior appearance.

Then I hopped onto the regular outlander 2.4L immediately and felt the seat bottom is more comfortable and the rear seating and leg room is much improved. The engine also ran much smoother even though it is a heavier vehicle. The steering is improved as well, I think it is still hydralic rack and pinion which is similar feel to my DSM eclipse. Rear seats slide and reclines, the outtie sport also reclines but not slide.

Finally sold on the Outlander GT with S-AWC, which stays glued on the road I felt the slight correction that it is doing on the tight turns. The engine sounds good when you start it. It has no problem going 80mph up the hills on freeway. Pulls like a truck at lower RPM and Mivec pulls the rest to redline. Most of the time under 70mph the engine is no more than 2000 RPM. I am most impressed with this engine the S-AWC and think it is worth the price difference.

I also tested many other Japanese CUVs. Many of them ride like pudding which moves my head move left and ride and the Mitsu's doesn't. I wouldn't be able to stand it on canyon roads but with the Mitsu I look forward to the twisties.

So be sure to check out all models of the outlander family.

Sad to see Mitsu softening the look of the completely redesigned 2013 outlander but it will help them blend in the market along Rav4s and CRVs. The interior looks much improved but the awesome S-AWC is gone.

Congrats on the new Outlander! The '11 Outie Sports quiet down a bit after the ECU update but never really get "quiet".... Glad you found something you like and hope you enjoy it for a long time!