Notices

Looking into the Outlander Sport

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2011, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking into the Outlander Sport

Hey guys slowly falling in love with the Outlander Sport but is the 4B11 the only motor they are offering in it, paired with the CVT seems like a combination for disaster. If I decide to get it I want to get the model with AWC but 150 hp for a SUV seems kind of low... Any one out there that has one that can give me they're opinion on it?

Also It seems that if you get the regular Outlander you can get the V6 that is in the Eclipse but I'm not paying 30k for that either.....
Old Sep 13, 2011, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If a crossover with 4wd looking for outstanding MPG and a ton of tech, Outlander sport is the choice. The engineers that made the made the EVO what it is did their work on this car:

-lower drag coefficient than a civic and corvette
-400 lbs lighter than a base 2.4 outlander
-HIDs also project on the sides and light up 80 degrees, more than a Lexus LS (and they work well in snow and at night!)
-regenerative brakes for an extra mpg or two.

Small touches like that lead us to this car!

Amazing crossover with such sharp looks and EVOesque grill! Can carry my wife and I's bikes WITHOUT having to take the wheels off, we went camping several times in it no problem, and the thing gets solid mileage for any crossover, let alone with 4wd!

I bought the cosworth drop in high flow filter for it (no oil), same as for the EVO X, and have run nothing but full synthetic oil, recently switching to Mobil 1 Full synthetic, and the thing now pulls pretty decently, even in normal D. Also when merging off of a line, we are using the paddle shifters for a fast pull and quicker to get into MIVEC. Using the paddle shifters was recommended and confirmed by the dealership, as it doesn't bring on the eco light AND allows you to stay more in MIVEC.

Look forward to hearing what you guys are doing with yours, and your experiences with it! OH, and the 4 foot moonroof is RIDICULOUSLY legit.

Small touches like that lead us to this car!

PM me if you have any other questions!!!

Last edited by Boston_eagle; Sep 13, 2011 at 01:20 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

I didn't realize there was that much tech in this thing. Pretty impressive considering the price.
That said, it is underpowered. The suspension set-up is excellent Way better than expected. Steering is communicative without being annoying, All in all, I like it a lot. It actually brings up little memories of my Evo when I drive it, which is a high compliment for an SUV. However, the interior is set up slightly weird for my build. everything feels too either high or too low for where I sit in it. It's subtle, but something I'll mention.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 238 Likes on 214 Posts
would be awesome to drop a evo x mr powertrain in it
Old Sep 19, 2011, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

I'm rooting for this thing to do well. Hope it boosts sales numbers.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 05:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by THUB
I didn't realize there was that much tech in this thing. Pretty impressive considering the price.
That said, it is underpowered. The suspension set-up is excellent Way better than expected. Steering is communicative without being annoying, All in all, I like it a lot. It actually brings up little memories of my Evo when I drive it, which is a high compliment for an SUV.
Yeah I am really impressed. IT makes for a a great road trip too! Three of us took it up to Maine to go white water rafting and it held our packs, gear, tent, two bins of food, three people no problem, and still got ~27 mpg in 4wd and a fully loaded car!
Old Oct 19, 2011, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'll do a full review on the car soon, but I ended up swapping my Evo X MR BSB wheels onto my Outlander Sport SE just for fun and it really made the car handle extremely well for what it is. Granted the outer diameter of the tires is wrong which throws off the speedo but the limits are improved in every category with reasonable road noise. Heading into winter the stock wheels and proper winter tires will get mounted up but next spring I may roll with the Evo X MR BBS wheels with proper tires or sell them. As for wheel width, 8.5" is about as wide as you would want to go without sticking out of the wheel wells. I've tweaked things to get -.5* camber on all four corners and the car looks great and gets as many compliments as the Evo when I drive oddly enough!

Stock Wheels: 18x7 (25 lbs)
Stock Tires: Goodyear LS2 225/55-18 (29 lbs)

Evo X MR Wheels: 18x8.5 (20 lbs)
Evo X MR Tires: Yokohama Advan A13c 245/40-18 (26 lbs)

While I don't need an Evo tire for daily driving, I think I might go with the ultra high performance all season Yokohama Advan S.4. in a 245/50-18 size which weighs around 30 lbs. Another tire is the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx TT but it might be overkill as a max performance summer tire.

They Yokohama S.4. are the correct diameter of 27.8", will fit the wider 8.5" wheel, and have much better dry traction than stock and more importantly good wet traction which is what this car will be driven in during the summer. For nice days I will usually be in the Evo X so it's a good combo.

Old Oct 19, 2011, 11:17 AM

I looked at the Sport with the AWC in it (GT model I think it's called) and I also looked at the Normal Outlander GT.

I bought the Outlander GT. The Sport just didn't have the power I was hoping for, and the 3rd row seating of the Outlander was a plus for me as well.

Don't get me wrong, they are both on par with each other as far as interior/looks/handling, but the 4B11 was just gutless. Once I drove the regular Outlander, I was sold. Ofcourse I didn't even pay 30K for mine including fees either.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

It does feel gutless when bone stock, but once you get a proper tune on this car for about 180 crank HP dialed in with basic bolt ons, use lighter wheels, and remove the spare/tools, it's a completely new car. Now granted it's not ever going to be as fast as my Evo, but it shaved off over a second from the 0-60 times at around 8.0 seconds and only a tick off the Lancer GTS performance now. I'm working on a few more tweaks and taking it down to STM's dyno for some final numbers that should satisfy most drivers, details to come.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 04:20 PM

^If you are going to put that kinda money into it, and void the warranty by doing it, then once you factor in the cost of everything, you could have just bought a regular Outlander GT.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 12:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by HMatt
^If you are going to put that kinda money into it, and void the warranty by doing it, then once you factor in the cost of everything, you could have just bought a regular Outlander GT.
I would agree for the most part, but you won't get the 29-31 highway MPG. As for voiding the warranty, sure if you have a bad Mitsu dealer they will void you for a K&N drop in airfilter but they usually aren't that bad. The 4wd SE is around 24k and basic mods and tune are only another 1k tops minus the wheels/tires. The Outlander GT is great but it also costs 5k more up front. It would be nice if they came out with a turbo engined model but it would have to come in under 30k.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 09:20 AM

^ I thought about buying the sport then trying to fit an evo turbo onto it. I just didn't want to deal with having 2 money pits! haha!

But I get your point about the cost. The gas mileage... I get 26-27 on the highway and about 23-24 in all around driving in the Outlander GT. So not THAT big of a difference, but mileage is mileage. I'm going to tune it as soon as I get a tactrix 2.0 and see if I can squeeze a little more out of it.

Bottom line though, I wanted the regular outlander GT more than I wanted the Sport, and to me, it was worth the extra 5K to me. The way I figure it, if you plan on keeping a vehicle for at LEAST 5 years anyway, then an extra 5K for something better is worth it.

What I REALLY wanted was a ralliart sprotback. The wife killed that dream though because "it's so ugly".

**grumble grumble**
Old Oct 21, 2011, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Ah yes, the other half usually wins.

The Outlander GT is a nice vehicle and I think some tweaks on it will make it even better. The fact that it is already 0-60 in the low 7 second range even in 4wd mode is quite good.

I haven't been sold on the looks of the Ralliart Sportback either, but I was also considering it as a 2nd vehicle because it had the turbo engine setup.

I think you made a wise choice, usually it's best to buy as much performance up front in the car of your choice, then you stress less components when you do improvements. If they put the 230 hp V6 in the Outlander Sport or had a turbo ralliart engine available it would be a rocketship.

Last edited by Hiboost; Oct 21, 2011 at 09:41 AM.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 07:27 AM
Evolving Member

Hi boost!

I LOVE your pics of your Outlander Sport with the BBS! While I will keep my BBS on my MR, I am thinking of switching the tires on our Outlander to a 225/45/18 (on the stock Outlander Sport SE/Ralliart rims).

How was the ride and handling impacted? Does it affect your speedometer?
Old Nov 29, 2011, 07:14 PM

would be awesome to drop a evo x mr powertrain in it
My sentiments exactly!

@Hiboost, what bolt ons do you have? 180HP out of the Outie Sport would be nice! The paddle shifters definitely help things but another 30+ HP wouldn't be a bad thing. I'm just curious what it would take to put the MR driveline in one of these babies! That would definitely put the Sport in Sport Utility! I don't think the CVT will handle much in the way of HP, the TC-SST would be the way to go.

Quick Reply: Looking into the Outlander Sport