Notices

2013 Hitch install w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2013, 05:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
after i put my hitch on i read my owners manual and it said that this vehical should NOT be used for towing due to braking. Glad i read it after i mounted it, i pull my custom trailer and ruckus around on it no problem. the curt class 3 hitch is rated for much more than the outlander could ever pull. i love mine, glad to see you had sucess with the 2013 mounting up as well!
Old May 14, 2013, 06:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My two cents are that this is a "stupid american" disclaimer, the foreign RVR's don't come with the same disclaimer. I wouldn't tow a 30' boat with it but it seems plenty stout enough to drag anything that looks appropriately sized next to it, behind it.
Old May 14, 2013, 08:03 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Burtonrider1002
Not even close to true :

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 information can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act

My dealer also offers installs on them.
I tried using the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act on my Toyota when they wouldn't replace my transmission under warranty because I had "oversized" wheels even though I kept the overall diameter the same. It actually stated in Toyota's limited warranty that any change to the vehicle that's in anyway shape or form connected to the powertrain voids your warranty. I'm not sure what it specifically states in Mitsu's warranty, but if it says anything like that you're screwed.
Old May 14, 2013, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by speddmn
My two cents are that this is a "stupid american" disclaimer, the foreign RVR's don't come with the same disclaimer. I wouldn't tow a 30' boat with it but it seems plenty stout enough to drag anything that looks appropriately sized next to it, behind it.
Agreed.
But, it's probably a stupid american driver who originally did something dumb with their Mitsu by towing an object too heavy and caused him/her-self harm or damage to property and then instigated a lawsuit with the company... that lead to this lame verbage in the owner's manual.
Old May 22, 2013, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Just placed my order - Curt 13079 Class 3 Hitch, can't wait to get it!
Old May 23, 2013, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

UPDATE!
Dear lord that was Ultra FAST!

Placed order at around 3:20pm May 22, 2013. (with Estimated Delivery May 29-June 3rd...)

However, I got home today and it was already there on my porch!
Old May 23, 2013, 06:55 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
amazon?
Old May 23, 2013, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

^
Correct.
Old May 23, 2013, 11:12 PM
EvoM Moderator

Every once in a while Amazon is creepy fast. I ordered something at 3 am one and had it delivered before 5pm. And I didn't pay for any expedited shipping or anything.
Old May 23, 2013, 11:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^all depends on where it gets shipped from.
I work for uhaul and do trailers all the damn time. Weve installed hitches on fiats so they can tow our 4x8 trailers. Big thing on the vehicles who say not for towing...if the trailer and cargo weigh the same as what you can throw n the car, its going to be fine.

Now that you guys have hitches tho, you still need wiring in order to tow trailers, which is also rather easy. Most vehicles about 20 minutes depending on whether plug and play or tap into existing wires
Old May 24, 2013, 07:46 AM
EvoM Moderator

Originally Posted by shrtstuff89
^all depends on where it gets shipped from.
I work for uhaul and do trailers all the damn time. Weve installed hitches on fiats so they can tow our 4x8 trailers. Big thing on the vehicles who say not for towing...if the trailer and cargo weigh the same as what you can throw n the car, its going to be fine.

Now that you guys have hitches tho, you still need wiring in order to tow trailers, which is also rather easy. Most vehicles about 20 minutes depending on whether plug and play or tap into existing wires
Amazon distribution warehouse in N/W Indiana, and I'm in Chicago

I have a wiring kit, and after reading the install instructions the Outlander Sport is incredibly easy. No drilling, no bumper removal, nothing. The most difficult part would be the one or two screws to remove the drivers side tail light.
Old May 24, 2013, 08:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Burtonrider1002
I have a wiring kit, and after reading the install instructions the Outlander Sport is incredibly easy. No drilling, no bumper removal, nothing.
I noticed in the instructions when I did mine that it said to remove the tow point bracket.,,,,,, Hmmm,, I didn't have one to begin with. Wonder if it got missed at assembly?

I'll be looking into the harness for towing for sure. Let us know where you get yours from, $ and what not.
I'd like to get a "small" trailer for the mower and simple items from the home improvement stores that I don't want "IN" the vehicle.

Off topic I know, but I was also thinking about fab'n up a roof rack similar to what the Nissan X-terra or pathfinders look like. A nice flat multi-use tray up top would look cool for a trail worthy theme.
Old May 24, 2013, 08:41 AM
EvoM Moderator

Curt Wiring Harness Curt Wiring Harness

I paid $42 for mine last summer.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

CURT 13079 Hitch Class III : Outlander Sport (ASX / RVR)

Finally I can check off this thread! (of To-Do's)
woohoo!**

Thank you guys for the inspiration!

NOTE:
I'm not exactly sure what this is - "box" - on the driver side rear bumper >

But, it made it difficult to reach around to install the mounting bolts for that side.
Luckily I have small forearms like a T-Rex and was able to squeeze up and around this "box" to get the job done.

**I know, I know... Took me long enough, didn't it.

More Info >>>
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ou...l#post11416244

Last edited by mRVRsport; Mar 22, 2015 at 07:40 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 10:19 PM
Account Disabled

Do you think I'll be okay without using the spacer plates?

Quick Reply: 2013 Hitch install w/ pics