Notices

2013 Hitch install w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2013, 06:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2013 Hitch install w/ pics

Gotta have something to put the bikes on, and I hate roof racks. (have you seen that insurance commercial???)
I picked up a CURT, class 3 hitch from an ebay vendor on a sale $100 shipped, but they are usually $129-39 on the bay and from Amazon.
this hitch comes boxed very well and has a top notch made in the USA finish. Welds are very nice also.
My dealer is wanting me to do some info and tech tips for his service dept. so I figured I'd add some tech here too and contribute.
This hitch is very simple to do and should take only 20min with little or no help. If doing by your self, just hold up one end of the hitch with a jack stand. other wise, if you can get your kick a&$ wife or Jeep girl daughter to help you, it's a snap.
Here are some pics of the hitch, I'll update with the install pics in a bit.
Attached Thumbnails 2013 Hitch install w/ pics-wp_001216.jpg   2013 Hitch install w/ pics-wp_001219.jpg   2013 Hitch install w/ pics-wp_001214.jpg   2013 Hitch install w/ pics-wp_001212.jpg  
Old May 11, 2013, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Now I definitely need to get one!
Which ebay seller if I may ask..
Old May 11, 2013, 09:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That looks good.... Waiting for some pics.....
Old May 11, 2013, 03:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mRVRsport
Now I definitely need to get one!
Which ebay seller if I may ask..
trends_auto is the seller I got it from. they are currently $123.06. Damn good price with free shipping.
On Amazon, they are $109-111 with free shipping right now.
Really good buy for a hitch this nice.

Last edited by Krakker; May 11, 2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old May 11, 2013, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

Hitch installed. This was a piece of cake to do with a helper. the instructions are really good and explain everything you'll need to do and give you a list of tools.
I used what seemed best for me which was a flex head ratchet, 8" extension and a 17mm & 19mm short sockets. The flex head ratchet works best to give you more range of motion when tightening the nuts. You can move the muffler a bit and it's not a big deal, the hangers allow it to move around a bit.
There are 2 sleeved holes in the frame on each side. You put the long bolts through the spacer, (that holds the carriage bolts so you don't need to use a wrench on the back side) which is a nice idea, and even a decent sized hand like mine, I can reach around the "black box" on the drivers side. The hitch is held by the 4 side load bolts and 2 that go strait up into the frame via welded nuts.
It's pretty easy after you put the bolts into the spacer, the bolts sit inside the sleeves flush with the frame. once you get the hitch into place, it's easy to push the bolts through the hitch sides and then it's a matter of installing the nuts and getting things tight.
Now go out and "Get hitched". lol
The hitch looks super sleek and only potrudes a slight bit. You can see from the photo's it looks like it's meant to be there.
Attached Thumbnails 2013 Hitch install w/ pics-wp_001233.jpg   2013 Hitch install w/ pics-wp_001234.jpg   2013 Hitch install w/ pics-wp_001235.jpg   2013 Hitch install w/ pics-wp_001236.jpg   2013 Hitch install w/ pics-wp_001237.jpg  

Last edited by Krakker; May 11, 2013 at 08:35 PM.
Old May 11, 2013, 10:48 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I have the Curt Class III on my 2011, fit's perfect as well to the the old style bumper as well.

I tow my waverunner without any problems as well.
Old May 11, 2013, 11:33 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does this decrease your departure angle?
Old May 12, 2013, 12:09 AM
EvoM Moderator

The Outlander Sport has like a 6 inch overhang behind the rear wheels, you can practically back up a vertical wall

But really, no, not in the slightest. The overhang really is so short that if you come off something that you can't clear, even with the hitch, you shouldn't have been on there to begin with.
Old May 12, 2013, 12:57 AM

is there a tow limit? i sold my f150 not too long ago and now dont have a way to drag my bike to the track this seems like a good way to save a little money instead of buying another truck...
Old May 12, 2013, 07:48 AM
Evolving Member

There are tow limits rated for the hitch that are described in the listings, but I don't think the OS is suited for pulling anything more than a wave runner, motorcycle, or small John Boat. If you don't mind another 3.5" below the bumper you'll be just fine for pretty much everything out there. IF you do NEED a greater departure angle, I'll have this for sale as soon as it's back from the exhaust shop. Only 6 blocks on the OD since a COMPLETE stroked, 1ton build.
Attached Thumbnails 2013 Hitch install w/ pics-dsc01683.jpg  
Old May 12, 2013, 09:43 AM
EvoM Moderator

Originally Posted by 675carlos
is there a tow limit? i sold my f150 not too long ago and now dont have a way to drag my bike to the track this seems like a good way to save a little money instead of buying another truck...
The owners manual specifically states "Do Not Tow" so... I wouldn't pull much more than a waver runner or a single bike on a small trailer. MAYBE two bikes if the trailer is light.

Real world info though, I can hardly tell the ski is back there. It pulls it just fine. I make sure to be extra gentle on the trans though.
Old May 12, 2013, 11:14 AM

Yea I think if tow my triumph on one of those single bike trailer systems.
Old May 13, 2013, 07:07 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I heard Mitsubishi service centers are really **** about the warranty. They could void your warranty just by having a hitch installed, because even if you don't tow with it, it's like premeditated towing, lol.
Old May 13, 2013, 08:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Wesley Eng
I heard Mitsubishi service centers are really **** about the warranty. They could void your warranty just by having a hitch installed, because even if you don't tow with it, it's like premeditated towing, lol.
That's funny, mine seemed really interested in the hitch and asked if I'd share my knowledge on it after it was done.
I told them it was a selling point since we like taking the bikes with us to a trail, etc, or the luggage rack for the back. We're not "towing" with it, but you gotta have a hitch for the rack and bike carrier. They were more than happy to put it up on a lift and let me see where the mounting points were. I Bing'd the hitch while there and they said if they make one, get one.
Old May 14, 2013, 12:13 AM
EvoM Moderator

Originally Posted by Wesley Eng
Not even close to true :

Originally Posted by Aftermarket parts or modifications
This aspect of warranty coverage has a great deal of gray area. Although many dealers would have you think otherwise, simply having an aftermarket part or modifying your vehicle cannot void your warranty.

"Some dealerships may say 'just because you have a [cold air] intake or something' that the whole vehicle warranty is voided," explains Loren Wong, Edmunds associate business analyst and a former warranty administrator for BMW and Acura. "That's not true."

The saving grace for consumers is the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975. The act states that a dealer must prove that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before it can deny warranty coverage.
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 information can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act

Originally Posted by Krakker
That's funny, mine seemed really interested in the hitch and asked if I'd share my knowledge on it after it was done.
I told them it was a selling point since we like taking the bikes with us to a trail, etc, or the luggage rack for the back. We're not "towing" with it, but you gotta have a hitch for the rack and bike carrier. They were more than happy to put it up on a lift and let me see where the mounting points were. I Bing'd the hitch while there and they said if they make one, get one.
My dealer also offers installs on them.

Quick Reply: 2013 Hitch install w/ pics