Notices

AVIC-Z140BH / No RDS or RDS-TMS

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2013 | 08:35 PM

AVIC-Z140BH / No RDS or RDS-TMS

Hi Guys,

I ended up getting the AVIC-Z140BH because I read great reviews about it however I must say that are 2 things that don't work that really buy my mind and I was hoping you guys can help me fix.

1) Bluetooth Steering Wheel Controls don't work. The guy I took this too, try to program the PTT, On-Hook, Off-Hook with no luck. He was only able to set up Attenuation on the Off-Hook? What the heck? Should I try to program this myself?

2) I have the Traffic Tuner connected as per the instructions however I get no RDS (Radio Data System) information nor I get any Traffic Management Channels. I tried to connect to the TMC and I get an error message that there are no TMC available at this moment.

I am in Canada, and here we don't have HD Radio. I did try to set up the Radio in Analog to see if I would get any RDS information and still nothing.

Any other ideas? Could it be that the module is broken?

Any help will be appreciated!
Old Jul 12, 2013 | 10:33 PM
EvoM Moderator

Ok, well I had no idea what you were talking about, so I searched and figured I'd post this for anyone else who is lost.

The AVIC thing is a Pioneer touch screen headset: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...on/AVIC-Z140BH

1) In order for the steering wheel controls to work I believe you'll need an adapter, which has been posted around here before (I think I even asked about it once).

2) That sounds like a question for Pioneer.

EDIT: I found this: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ou...-question.html

That might help resolve your steering wheel control issues.
Old Jul 13, 2013 | 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

right on Burton.
As always, a man of infinite knowledge.

Thanks for looking up the info!
Old Jul 13, 2013 | 10:34 AM
Evolving Member

He amazes me with the resources he has. Even more help than I can provide with even having this particular head unit installed last week. I can only tell you that it is possible as my entire steering wheel controls are integrated with the head unit as if it was OEM. So I know it is definitely possible with your headunit. The HD Radio, will only work if your local radio stations transmit for HD radio compatible units. Surprisingly, they truly are crystal clear.

The traffic tuner is also priceless especially living in a huge city I do(the largest city in the US geographical wise.) The lines against the highway on the navigation unit flash in green/yellow/red depending on the average speed the traffic is flowing compared to the posted speed limit.

When you get the Bluetooth to work, you will see that it is even better than the OEM setup in talking and hearing through the system. The feature of seeing your entire phonebook on your head unit is also a very nice touch. I'm sorry I can't be of more help, other than saying it IS possible to have all the features work. Good luck!
Old Jul 13, 2013 | 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by LUNARFX
He amazes me with the resources he has. Even more help than I can provide with even having this particular head unit installed last week. I can only tell you that it is possible as my entire steering wheel controls are integrated with the head unit as if it was OEM. So I know it is definitely possible with your headunit. The HD Radio, will only work if your local radio stations transmit for HD radio compatible units. Surprisingly, they truly are crystal clear.

The traffic tuner is also priceless especially living in a huge city I do(the largest city in the US geographical wise.) The lines against the highway on the navigation unit flash in green/yellow/red depending on the average speed the traffic is flowing compared to the posted speed limit.

When you get the Bluetooth to work, you will see that it is even better than the OEM setup in talking and hearing through the system. The feature of seeing your entire phonebook on your head unit is also a very nice touch. I'm sorry I can't be of more help, other than saying it IS possible to have all the features work. Good luck!
I contacted Pioneer Canada and apparently the built-in tuner is fairly dumb. It will only do RDS if you have HD Radio otherwise it will not do RDS. The same applies to the traffic tuner, useless here in Winnipeg (Canada) we don't have HD Radio. The guy said I should have gotten an X940BT.

Having said this that battle is done. I go to ND and MN couple of times a year so I will have to enjoy them then or sell this unit and get a X940BT.

As far as the Bluetooth go I have the Metra ASWC-1, which one do you have? Did you have to program the adapter manually?
I am able to get volume up/down, source and seek up/down.
Old Jul 13, 2013 | 05:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dieguito07
I contacted Pioneer Canada and apparently the built-in tuner is fairly dumb. It will only do RDS if you have HD Radio otherwise it will not do RDS. The same applies to the traffic tuner, useless here in Winnipeg (Canada) we don't have HD Radio. The guy said I should have gotten an X940BT.

Having said this that battle is done. I go to ND and MN couple of times a year so I will have to enjoy them then or sell this unit and get a X940BT.

As far as the Bluetooth go I have the Metra ASWC-1, which one do you have? Did you have to program the adapter manually?
I am able to get volume up/down, source and seek up/down.
That's no bueno. Wish you could enjoy the features, but I believe the other model recommended has a smaller screen size.

After talking to my friend, he did say he had to program it manually. The only thing he said he couldn't do is when you press the "V" button, the one next to the volume button, it doesn't toggle the station down but defaults to the XM radio station 002. He was pretty frustrated when I even mentioned it(he's autistic) because he is a perfectionist.