Notices

6 speaker system?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2014, 02:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6 speaker system?

Not to repeat another thread (Im pretty sure I saw this mentioned somewhere else.) but why is it that mitsu say the os comes with a speaker system when there are only 4 speakers? When you remove the tweeter housing you find nothing? there are no tweeters. Just seems like false advertising to me. While on the topic of sound. I would like to upgrade my audio some (speakers , amp and sub) but would like to keep the stock controls. Anyone go this route and have any suggestions?
Old Apr 21, 2014, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by brianbrase
Not to repeat another thread (Im pretty sure I saw this mentioned somewhere else.) but why is it that mitsu say the os comes with a speaker system when there are only 4 speakers? When you remove the tweeter housing you find nothing? there are no tweeters. Just seems like false advertising to me. While on the topic of sound. I would like to upgrade my audio some (speakers , amp and sub) but would like to keep the stock controls. Anyone go this route and have any suggestions?
Mitsu is counting the rear door speakers twice.. because they are coaxial 6.5"
Old Apr 21, 2014, 01:38 PM

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ou...b-install.html
i did some work on mine if you want to keep your stock look icluding the head unit its alot better, you dont have to worry about lossing the link system and stearing controls. i have a 2000w amp with two 12" subs i have also upgraded the front speakers with component alpine that way i got good use of the tweeter ports you will need to mod it to make the tweeters fit, on top of that you will need to buy speaker adopters for the doors as you will not be able to add anything but stock speakers i ordered them from china 8$ a pair a fair price with free shipping.
i will update the post i have build on cargo cover to mount my amp and fits clean pluss added room.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by half3vil
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ou...b-install.html
i did some work on mine if you want to keep your stock look icluding the head unit its alot better, you dont have to worry about lossing the link system and stearing controls. i have a 2000w amp with two 12" subs i have also upgraded the front speakers with component alpine that way i got good use of the tweeter ports you will need to mod it to make the tweeters fit, on top of that you will need to buy speaker adopters for the doors as you will not be able to add anything but stock speakers i ordered them from china 8$ a pair a fair price with free shipping.
i will update the post i have build on cargo cover to mount my amp and fits clean pluss added room.

That would be super helpful. thank you
Old Apr 24, 2014, 05:40 PM
mgb
Evolving Member

Those little tweeters things in the front are fake? Haha that's so pathetic
Old May 4, 2014, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by brianbrase
Are you serious about the tweeters? that's unbelievable.
Old May 4, 2014, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by motolola
Are you serious about the tweeters? that's unbelievable.
Originally Posted by mgb
Those little tweeters things in the front are fake? Haha that's so pathetic
mine too.. i check the housing and theres nothing inside..just a lame holes tweeter look a like.
Old May 4, 2014, 12:08 PM

I'm kind of glad they put tweeter mounts there for every model. Makes it easy to upgrade. Deceptive advertising though.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 12:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just installed my sub woofer (Gladen SQL 15") into my car with a cheap amp from overstock . com which apparently has 2,000rms watts which we all know is not true for only $200, but it still makes my woofer move enough. Sadly though I do not have it linked to my car, just running on a separate aux cable, any tips or help on how to connect to the head unit would be appreciated.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 10:08 AM

are you planing on keeping the head unit stock if so all you have to do is buy a Lineout Converter for the head unit. they are about 20$ at walmart stereo section. i used the scosche brand that connects to the battery to give you a remote wire to start you amp.
heres a link to what youll need>>>> http://www.scosche.com/loc90-line-output-converter
Old Aug 17, 2014, 12:39 PM

I'm running two JL 10s off the factory HU like half3vil said you'll need a LOC what I did was tap into the speaker wires directly behind the unit as well as the acc wire for the radio so when the radio shuts off so does my amp.. Actually looking at some new door speakers right now to replace the factory...still haven't settled on if I want a double din screen or single din aftermarket receiver ...

Last edited by Blackdub; Aug 17, 2014 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Misspelling
Old Aug 18, 2014, 11:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by half3vil
are you planing on keeping the head unit stock if so all you have to do is buy a Lineout Converter for the head unit. they are about 20$ at walmart stereo section. i used the scosche brand that connects to the battery to give you a remote wire to start you amp.
heres a link to what youll need>>>> http://www.scosche.com/loc90-line-output-converter
thank you!
Old Feb 28, 2015, 10:08 AM

After 2 weeks of owning our OS and new car excitement starting to wane down and reality set in, finding the "140 watt 6 speaker stereo system" waaaaaay far from acceptable (unless all you listen to is AM talk radio, no offense to anyone who do), initially thinking I just needed to find the right setting combination or that magic button (or maybe a defective radio?). The stock system on our 99 Montero sounded a lot better. Heck, one of the cars I had in the early 80's a raggedy dodge colt with a pioneer KP500 (remember those? with the big fat round tuner on the face) with 4 6.5" pioneer coaxials sounded waaaay better.

Don't really want to go as far as (and spend more $$) on a new head unit but wanted to ask if anyone has just done a speaker upgrade (no amps or subs) by simply replacing the stock speakers - how did that turn out? Hoping there is some credibility on the advertised "140 watts" that if real would be sufficient for our listening preference and is enough to drive the upgraded speakers and have some decent sound.

Lets get this straight, not regretting the buy - just complaining about the radio.

Last edited by achtung98m; Feb 28, 2015 at 10:13 AM. Reason: correct spelling
Old Feb 28, 2015, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by achtung98m
After 2 weeks of owning our OS and new car excitement starting to wane down and reality set in, finding the "140 watt 6 speaker stereo system" waaaaaay far from acceptable (unless all you listen to is AM talk radio, no offense to anyone who do), initially thinking I just needed to find the right setting combination or that magic button (or maybe a defective radio?). The stock system on our 99 Montero sounded a lot better. Heck, one of the cars I had in the early 80's a raggedy dodge colt with a pioneer KP500 (remember those? with the big fat round tuner on the face) with 4 6.5" pioneer coaxials sounded waaaay better.

Don't really want to go as far as (and spend more $$) on a new head unit but wanted to ask if anyone has just done a speaker upgrade (no amps or subs) by simply replacing the stock speakers - how did that turn out? Hoping there is some credibility on the advertised "140 watts" that if real would be sufficient for our listening preference and is enough to drive the upgraded speakers and have some decent sound.

Lets get this straight, not regretting the buy - just complaining about the radio.

ha ha ha.
Complaining about the stock radio, aye.
Looking for some "credibility to the advertised 140 watts" you say..
(Oh it's credible from a marketing standpoint.)

But, you don't want to spend "$$" on new head unit.
> Right there I should stop & correct you... You'll need to spend more like $$$.$$ to get more out of your stock radio.

First of all, you do realize that's 140Watts TOTAL (Maximum RMS power) from the anemic headunit.

>> Take 140W divide by 6 speakers and you get a poultry 23.3Watts to each driver and that's the max. power.
So, usually you'll take 50% out of max. to figure the Nominal power. Which gives you a whopping 11.6 Watts (at best) of juice to run your hi-fi dynamic azz rumbling bass "enhanced stereo system"

Sorry to stomp on your audio dreams. But those are the cold hard facts.

Last edited by mRVRsport; Feb 28, 2015 at 02:24 PM.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 09:32 AM

i was thinking the same thing, would you recommend an amp? I don't know anything really about stereos lol

Quick Reply: 6 speaker system?