Notices

[Official] Hitch Accessories

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2015, 04:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Not really a hitch accessory addition, but my local dealer still keeps in touch with me about Outlander, OS and EVO stuff. He's a car guy like myself, but long story short, They were trying to hook up anyone with the need for a hitch with me knowing I had installed one and still had it. So I get this call to speak with this guy about doing the hitch install (and sale) . I told them no big deal, $80, I'll even put it in if he can come by. Takes maybe 10-15 minutes. They tell him $100 installed (for my benefit) and he says yeah great deal.

Today he calls about getting it done and asks if it has the connector for his trailer. Said he needs to have the plug in for it or it won't work. I said, "you'll need to get the harness, or a universal one that fits the plug for your trailer. The hitch doesn't come with one." This guy says that won't work, he needs the plug with the hitch. lol, again I try explaining that the plug is a separate piece, hitches don't just come with them. So he says he'll have to pass since he needs one with a plug. lol.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Burtonrider1002
Rear end defense is about 50% of the reason I love have a hitch.

indeed.
Best defense these days against drivers who feel public roads belongs to them.

Originally Posted by Krakker
Not really a hitch accessory addition, but my local dealer still keeps in touch with me about Outlander, OS and EVO stuff. He's a car guy like myself, but long story short, They were trying to hook up anyone with the need for a hitch with me knowing I had installed one and still had it. So I get this call to speak with this guy about doing the hitch install (and sale) . I told them no big deal, $80, I'll even put it in if he can come by. Takes maybe 10-15 minutes. They tell him $100 installed (for my benefit) and he says yeah great deal.

Today he calls about getting it done and asks if it has the connector for his trailer. Said he needs to have the plug in for it or it won't work. I said, "you'll need to get the harness, or a universal one that fits the plug for your trailer. The hitch doesn't come with one." This guy says that won't work, he needs the plug with the hitch. lol, again I try explaining that the plug is a separate piece, hitches don't just come with them. So he says he'll have to pass since he needs one with a plug. lol.

$100 (or even better at $80**) + free installation on a Curt Class III hitch, come on...

That kid sounds like he's been smokin' something a bit too long.
Glad to know he'll have to go spend mo'money to get his hitch jollies on.
& he'll have to find someone else to pay to wire his harness up, most likely.

I'm getting the vibe > that he felt he was still "dealing with the dealership" when chatting with you.
(Asking for a deal is one thing, but playing dumb and stating "I Need something, additionally" that didn't come with the original package is just being rude.)

At least he didn't waste anymore of your time.

Hope he find this thread, when he trys to find hitch install or hitch wiring plug.

#Cheapskate
#NeedHitchPlug
#WiringHarnessWon'tWork

** Hell, I don't know about you, but if the chap goes by the hourly rate the service techs would charge to install it (or anything for that matter) at the dealership ($125/hr)... or if you go by an average $85/hr "courtesy fee", then he's practically making a profit by getting it from you and having it installed. He could have used the money saved and got his wire harness and still came out ahead.
What was he thinking?

Last edited by mRVRsport; Mar 23, 2015 at 12:47 AM.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 07:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mRVRsport
Hope he find this thread, when he trys to find hitch install or hitch wiring plug.

Yeah. lol.
Let him find out how much a hitch costs and then find out that he's still got to buy the wiring harness and pay someone else to install it and wire it up.
Don't bother calling me back..... And I don't think he's smart enough to find this forum. Not if he can't figure out how to install your own hitch after getting a sweet deal. Oh Well.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah. lol.
Let him find out how much a hitch costs and then find out that he's still got to buy the wiring harness and pay someone else to install it and wire it up.
Don't bother calling me back..... And I don't think he's smart enough to find this forum. Not if he can't figure out how to install your own hitch after getting a sweet deal. Oh Well.

Oh, he'll find it now.
I just tagged & tripled hyperlinked this thread to All the other Outlander Sport hitch threads.

Old Mar 23, 2015, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Hitch *****, steps for rear protection. Are they really safe to use?

Deleted.

Last edited by AWCAWD; Mar 25, 2015 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Off topic conversation
Old Mar 23, 2015, 09:42 AM
Evolving Member

My favorite hitch accessories are the upright blender mount and the potty seat.

In that order.:::: I love margaritas and burrito's grilled by aluminum foil and heated on the intake manifold. Off Roading is the mother of all inventive ways to eat and drink in the wilderness.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AWCAWD
I do not question the benefits of a hitch should anyone need to tow or carry bicycles frequently.
I would argue, however, against the use of permanently attached hitch *****, hitch steps (or even bull bars in the front) as protection devices against parking incidents. Many people mentioned in this forum that "inexperienced" (you may substitute any of the more frequently used adjective here) drivers touching the rear bumpers can (and did already) do damage (e.g. scratching paint or displace clips). Such drivers should apparently be more vigilant - as they see these scary protection accessories - or else. I have a couple of problem with this:

1. There is absolutely no guarantee that the driver, who have such a "protection device" installed is less likely to back into the front bumper of the car behind causing substantial damage in that parking car (we all should assume reciprocity, right?). Given that backing up provides less visibility than moving forward it would actually more likely happen. Why cars installed predominantly with back up cameras and rear parking sensors as opposed front cameras and front sensors only?

2. These devices are present on vehicles at all speed. In case of a high speed accident they hinder the natural protection offered by the bumpers of both cars involved and may cause more harm to the passengers and the cars themselves. Let us not forget that the hitch is attached to the chassis by 4-6 bolts only. Crash tests assume that the passive protection of any car can fully engage and does not get bypassed.

3. During loading and unloading the trunk one can accidentally kick the metal pieces causing pain in the limbs. This is even more likely to happen to an unsuspecting family member (child, spouse) or a helping friend. The owner himself will be aware of this danger and most likely would avoid it. Put aside danger during loading/unloading it is not even practical as one has to step aside to push/pull items around.

Sometimes regulation is needed and provides more prevention. I would personally favor the restriction of the use of hitch ***** to the duration of the towing only. Once the trailer is unhooked the ball should also be removed. Some of you will not like this but I think that leaving such device permanently attached is not a responsible action. Bumpers are designed to flex against low speed touches (1-2mph) by another bumper but completely defenceless against "spears". Imagine, where parking space is more precious (e.g in Paris, France) it is inevitable that bumpers are bumped into during parking maneuvers. This is just part of every day life there.
If someone really wants to give extra protection to the bumpers these below are perfectly fine and safe for both parties involved :
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ou...r-diapers.html

Valid points, no doubt.

And, I do care about other's well being and safety.
BUT, not to the point of placing their life above my family.. If they do stupid things and endanger mine, then all damages they incurred is on them.

Here's my counter arguments:
In fact, you are correct that the possibility of our 'defense' items "may cause more" damage to other vehicle/property/person, if we were to back into them.
>> HOWEVER, that's only when we're backing up... which most likely will be at parking lot speeds, I don't foresee anyone backing up at 30/45/55 or even 70MPH!

So, any possible damage to said other property/person would be similar to being bumped by bumper, no more serious than that. (In fact, I say the hitch "protrusion" is an added safety feature because anybody who may be 'touched' by said item would likely be out of the way by then, then to be run over completely by the full weight of the vehicle.)

And, just so you know, there is NO passive sensors in the back/rear of our vehicles. As evidence here >

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ou...mrvrsport.html

ZERO airbag deployment, meaning absolutely none of our airbags activated EVEN After being rammed at 70MPH. Note- We were at a complete stop due to ahead traffic, by the way. So, we took the full force of the collision by that crazy driver.

So, the hitch does not hinder our vehicles safety devices/design.

True.
As I would want - to have such devices on at "all speeds" 24/7.
And, that's because the hitch is only held on by 4 load-bearing bolts (plus 2 small alignment bolts), so in an event of a severe collision, those screws would likely shear off taking/absorbing some of the initial forces that would have transferred directly into the vehicle structure. Thus, giving us a better margin of safety than without it!

Just like putting up warning signs > "wet floor" plaquers, "beware of dog" signage, or reflective-markers on cyclists helmets/runner's jackets, etc. Once done >

It's up to others to be aware there are things to avoid - to Not walk-into/crash against.
Just saying.

Last edited by mRVRsport; Mar 23, 2015 at 10:24 AM.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

My favorite hitch accessories are the upright blender mount and the potty seat.

In that order.:::: I love margaritas and burrito's grilled by aluminum foil and heated on the intake manifold. Off Roading is the mother of all inventive ways to eat and drink in the wilderness.
You got pic?

Well.. that wasn't high on my list of got-to-haves, BUT I suppose if the zombies come aKnockin' into the neighborhoods, I'd take one in a second!

I'd like to get (or Build) myself one of these - to carry a few jerry cans & an extra spare! >

.. now if I can only learn to weld ..

Last edited by mRVRsport; Mar 23, 2015 at 11:10 AM.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Deleted.

Last edited by AWCAWD; Mar 25, 2015 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Off topic conversation
Old Mar 23, 2015, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

If this were true nobody would use the knife to slice the bread. A piece of dull stick would do the job. The same force is distributed over a much larger area when the bumpers touch, so the damage is minimal, if any, while in case of a hitch ball the same force is only distributed on a tiny surface only. That causes more intrusion to the other bumper.

Well, that lady driver (And many other drivers like her, still to this day) doesn't seem to pay too much attention, no matter if there is a "larger area of a bumper" is presented to them or my small hitch ball...

So, actually I'm being quite kind by increasing my "protrusion" to a wider area with the hitch-step attachment.

plus, I'm going to add pretty reflective tape to its edges to make it all the more visible.

I have no problem with a hitch. I have problem with the permanently attached hitch ball and hitch step.

That I understand.
I truly do.

And, I wish I have access to data that I can show you regarding just how many large trucks & SUVs are on the roads here in Dallas, with their large steel bumpers that tends to "ride your tail" on highways.
If you witness it yourself, then you'll know why I'm a bit sensitive on the matter.
And, why I really don't care if their bumper gets marred by coming into contact with my hitch accessary.

This attitude would justify to mass produce stickers with signs like this: "Hey, be careful as I am constantly texting while driving". Once attached the burden to avoid accidents would be on everybody else but the driver, who carries such a sign. Luckily regulation helps the masses.

Well, actually it satisfies the US Government AND corporate attorneys..

I've personally seen such said "stickers" on the side of tabacco products that warns folks - you get cancer if you use this item.
Serious, no joke.

So, yeah the burden of having such product(s) out in the masses has been removed from the "individual" entity and placed on everybody else.

PS:
I do appreciate our dialog.
It allows us to openly discuss both sides of the matter.

Last edited by mRVRsport; Mar 23, 2015 at 02:29 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Deleted.

Last edited by AWCAWD; Mar 25, 2015 at 06:44 AM. Reason: Off topic
Old Mar 23, 2015, 09:58 PM
Evolving Member

All of the blender attachments have been home made. lol
All you need tho is a standard plug inverter.

As for learning how to weld, it's not that hard really. I've got a Lincoln Weldpak 3600.
It's a 110 volt welder that if used right and make multiple passes and still do the job of a 220 welder. Mine can actually be converted, but I've got it setup on a dolly to be pretty mobile. Most of them come with setting recommendations for metal thickness and wire feed. Sometimes it's just a matter of trial and error. I've done a ton of work on my Jeep using flux core wire since I've been outside in the wind where the gas would not work well. Can't imagine how much money I've saved by buying my own welder.

On my rigs, I've only left certain attachment in the hitch while I needed them. On a side note: I'm NOT against leaving a step on the back or to help protect against parking lot dingo's.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

A good point and a valid argument but for the sake of moving forward in educating people is not a good example.

Well, I'm not sure what's the difference between "warning" vs "educating" folks of dangers. It's just semantics.

I'm just trying to educate those kinds of drivers NOT to tailgate at highway speeds..
Don't need to wait for government politicians or regulators to pass a law to make it so.
I like to be proactive.

Last edited by mRVRsport; Mar 24, 2015 at 08:48 AM.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Deleted.

Last edited by AWCAWD; Mar 25, 2015 at 06:44 AM. Reason: Off-topic
Old Mar 24, 2015, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

The difference is conviction. Warning should be taken whether you are convinced or not, regardless whether you agree with the content or not. If you are educated you believe the added benefits you learned and you will not need a police officer near you to reinforce the warning. Simple.
An otherwise sporty or spirited driver becomes obedient and meek when a police cruiser is around. That is fear (from getting a ticket) not conviction. A convinced driver would say: "I have to drive with the flow of traffic and should not perform sudden lane changes or accelerations because it may cause danger. I do not need a police officer near me to act like this. My time is not more precious than anybody else's I have to share the road with."
This is an example why spirited driving has no place in public roads. If we were all convinced that it has we would not act when a police car is around. Spirited driving is aggressive driving we like it or not.

Firstly, I never doubted you obey the laws.
Same goes for myself and my loved ones; in fact - I have family in the Police force.
So, imagine my desire to radio in each and every time when witnessing a careless driver out on the roads/freeways...

The fact that other driver(s) chooses to drive Over the speed limit AND tailgate another someone who's following the law (driving at or below the posted speed limit) is just a matter of them not having enough conviction to not do so?

Fantastic..
I was just thinking - to myself, 'gee that driver must not have enough conviction to be NOT be watching what's happening ahead of them when they crash into us' - when my wife and I were lying on the emergency room CAT scan machines.

I don't need to educate those types of drivers, nor to warn them to pay attention when they get behind a 4,000lb SUV/truck/car weapon.
Politicians, Regulators, or Police presence will not change their minds when they've already decided to put themselves in danger. They obviously don't value their own lives, what makes you think they give 50 cents for yours or mine??

Now, you are warning people around you that you have a device (the hitch ball) that can do harm to their cars if they do not pay extra attention (if they do not moderate their spirited driving). You are using fear as a tool to keep people away. Fear is not associated with conviction. Someone needs to be educated that tailgating (or even equipping your car with dangerous accessories) is not right. While I understand your frustration against certain "uneducated" drivers in your area, aggression and revenge is not the solution. You more likely hurt someone else, who never did any harm to you than getting a revenge on those, who did.

I think you're looking at this wrong...
Here's a more appropriate example (no revenge implied) :
1. As a caring and respectful rancher/neighbor(driver) - take your pick -, and if I have a basic fence, like so >

And, someone decides to knock it down, gets in your space.
So, you go okay - no problem. Then erect something like so >

However, someone is still not getting it.. still getting way up in your property, then you put something like this up >

^
That's not about revenge. Or, about me being mean.
(Similarly in this regard, no one would be harmed neither IF they pay attention to where they're going and not run into such "items".)

I'm just trying to prevent another occurrence by possibly another idiot driver from rear ending us on the expressways.

Last edited by mRVRsport; Mar 24, 2015 at 02:11 PM.

Quick Reply: [Official] Hitch Accessories