Notices

Antenna - how make prevent from being stolen

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2015, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Antenna - how make prevent from being stolen

Saw another OS owner at the office parking lot, he takes his antenna off every time he parks his car, he said it he had his antenna stolen when the car was barely a week old. I think it would be serious PITA for me to do that every time I park my car!!!!! But on the other hand I don't want to affect the reception I have on my already "awesome 140 watt 6 speaker audio system!"

Wonder if super glue or Loctite would do the trick, it would be hard to twist the antenna off by hand, doubt a lot of punks walk around with pliers in their pockets.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by achtung98m
Saw another OS owner at the office parking lot, he takes his antenna off every time he parks his car, he said it he had his antenna stolen when the car was barely a week old. I think it would be serious PITA for me to do that every time I park my car!!!!! But on the other hand I don't want to affect the reception I have on my already "awesome 140 watt 6 speaker audio system!"

Wonder if super glue or Loctite would do the trick, it would be hard to twist the antenna off by hand, doubt a lot of punks walk around with pliers in their pockets.

Please don't do that.
The receivers in these modern headunits are sensitive enough to pick up most stations without a long metal whip like back in the day. That's why you see most cars with these stubby tips now.
Also, the extended (long) cable from the headunit to the rear roof mount acts sort of like an antenna in itself.

You can test this by removing your whip and you'll still be able to get radio stations.

If you're that worried, I suggest you remove your antenna and find yourself one of these that'll cover the screw hole.

It's just a regular plastic push-rivet.

Actually some punk vandals tried to steal my stereo way back when. My car was parked right in front of my house too. It was in the middle of the night, and I heard my alarm go off.
Which woke me up and I turned on the bedroom light almost immediately (and heard vehicle peel off... Thought that's very odd timing.) Obviously that scared the little ***** because when i went out to see why my alarm tripped, my driver side window was smashed in and in the passenager seat there was a set of pliers and a screw driver.

The trim piece was already removed from around the headunit. So, they came ready and willing..
It happened within seconds.

Last edited by mRVRsport; Mar 3, 2015 at 12:07 PM.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 04:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mRVRsport

Actually some punk vandals tried to steal my stereo way back when. My car was parked right in front of my house too. It was in the middle of the night, and I heard my alarm go off.
Which woke me up and I turned on the bedroom light almost immediately (and heard vehicle peel off... Thought that's very odd timing.) Obviously that scared the little ***** because when i went out to see why my alarm tripped, my driver side window was smashed in and in the passenager seat there was a set of pliers and a screw driver.

The trim piece was already removed from around the headunit. So, they came ready and willing..
It happened within seconds.
Do these radios have a theft system. The infinity systems had a code that you had to call Mitsu and get. Was a PITA because when you changed the battery or something the radio would reset and you'd have to look for the code, and then dig in your memory bank on how to put the code in.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 05:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
who steals antennas is there a big after market for stock radio antennas these days?