Notices

Upgrading Cloth to Leather?

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2015, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Upgrading Cloth to Leather?

Anyone ever upgrade their cloth interior to leather? I looked into it via Canadaseatskins.com and it is shockingly cheap. I was thinking a nice black leather with carbon or dark grey insert; grey stitching.
Old May 11, 2015, 04:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is that a local shop up there in Canada or they sell skins that need installed? most of our local upholstery shops a pricey. cost me $50 to have a rear seat done on my gixxer .
Old May 11, 2015, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

They are a Katzkins rep I think. $50 labour is nothing in my books.
Old May 11, 2015, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by CottageLifer
Anyone ever upgrade their cloth interior to leather? I looked into it via Canadaseatskins.com and it is shockingly cheap. I was thinking a nice black leather with carbon or dark grey insert; grey stitching.
Leather seating surfaces look nice and luxurious. They are perfect for the living room couch and armchair, where the temperature is constant. I am not sure about cars, where extreme cold/hot could quickly turn your initial enthusiasm down. I would urge you to explore first whether you will be able to live with the disadvantages of leather surfaces in the harsh Canadian winters. Even with the seat heaters on there is at least a minute or rather two before the surface temperature becomes bearable.
I have the same argument for the summer. I lived in Phoenix, Arizona for six years and there you may sustain first degree burns (if you are wearing shorts) before the seat is cooled down to an acceptable temperature.
Again, they could project luxury but I do not find them practical for extreme climates. I would avoid them but it is just my personal experience/suggestion.
Old May 11, 2015, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

I've had leather for the last 20 years. The RVR is the first one with cloth since the 1996 Caravan. Love the leather.
Old May 12, 2015, 05:31 AM

Ive had leather in my 71 skylark without heated seats and leather in my impala with heated seats. We have little extreme temps here in ohio. I loved the comfort and look of leather. Def gets cold in winter without warmers, But i plan to have remote start have the seat and heater on in the winter. If I lived in more extreme like the hot desert states I would avoid leather. ohio doesnt get to hot tho
Old May 12, 2015, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Ohio doesn't get hot? I used to work in Findlay and the heat and humidity was brutal when I was there. But I'd still do leather.
Old May 12, 2015, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by CottageLifer
Ohio doesn't get hot? I used to work in Findlay and the heat and humidity was brutal when I was there. But I'd still do leather.
Humidity can make it pretty miserable here but we usually stay high 80s low 90s July and Aug. That's nothing compared to some of the southern states. I have the heated seats and not sure how these operate within the cloth. If it would be difficult to work around when reupholstering