Notices

Storing My RVR for the Summer

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2015, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Storing My RVR for the Summer

So I plan to store the RVR for a couple months (max) this summer. It'll sit in a nice garage, out of the elements. Its had a recent (under 200 kms) oil change and I'll probably add some Sta-bil to a full tank and pump up the tires. Should I disconnect the battery? I am hesitant to do this due all the airbag etc. lights. I doubt there is much of anything to drain the battery. PLus there is a slight chance I could start her up a month into storage and take it for a good run.

What am I missing?
Old Jun 2, 2015, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
^
You should get a quality battery tender/charger/conditioner and have it trickle charge your battery while in storage.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 05:36 PM
EvoM Moderator

Originally Posted by mRVRsport
^
You should get a quality battery tender/charger/conditioner and have it trickle charge your battery while in storage.
This
Old Jun 2, 2015, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

I'm not keen on leaving a trickle charger on an unattended battery. I know guys do all the time but... Any way, my boat will sit from April to late June and its battery is fine. What would drain the battery if it sits (self-discharge notwithstanding) I did notice that my wife's Pathfinder has a "long term storage" plug in the relay box. Will have to figure that out.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 10:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CottageLifer
I'm not keen on leaving a trickle charger on an unattended battery. I know guys do all the time but... Any way, my boat will sit from April to late June and its battery is fine. What would drain the battery if it sits (self-discharge notwithstanding) I did notice that my wife's Pathfinder has a "long term storage" plug in the relay box. Will have to figure that out.

That's why I specifically said to buy a Quality charger that's not going to overcharge your battery or cause a fire and burn your whole storage down.

PS: boat/marine batteries are different that car batteries, they're deep cycle.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 04:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by CottageLifer
I'm not keen on leaving a trickle charger on an unattended battery. I know guys do all the time but...
i also don't like leaving one on unattended. get a Battery Tender (mine is about 15 years old, still going strong) - they have a permanent connector you can wire to the battery, and just plug it in for a little bit every week or two.

What would drain the battery if it sits (self-discharge notwithstanding)
in previous cars, it was the alarm system.

Last edited by Landshark; Jun 3, 2015 at 04:51 AM.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 04:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also, a boat has practically nothing putting a drain on it, only a radio if you have one installed. A car has the radio/clock, ECU and possibly other things.
As stated above, get a good battery tender. If you're that worried about it, put it on a programmable timer to only turn on for a few hours once a week or once every two weeks. That'll still be enough to keep the battery up.
I suggest not locking it. If the battery would go dead I'm not sure how well it would work getting into the car if you have the keyless system and since the locks are electronic I believe (no actual mechanical linkage).
Old Jun 3, 2015, 05:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Redstang69
Also, a boat has practically nothing putting a drain on it, only a radio if you have one installed. A car has the radio/clock, ECU and possibly other things.
As stated above, get a good battery tender. If you're that worried about it, put it on a programmable timer to only turn on for a few hours once a week or once every two weeks. That'll still be enough to keep the battery up.
I suggest not locking it. If the battery would go dead I'm not sure how well it would work getting into the car if you have the keyless system and since the locks are electronic I believe (no actual mechanical linkage).

Don't worry too much about that issue.
Since even with a SMARTKey, there's a traditional key hidden in the remote for just this kind of situations. You can still physical unlock the door with it.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

If anyone is interested, it does turn out you CANNOT leave an RVR for two months and expect the battery to have juice to start it. If there is a next time I will just disconnect the battery.