Notices

AWD vs. FWD - Newbie Question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2015, 08:57 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mRVRsport
Having one of the highest ground clearance (8.5") of All the small CUVs is another big Plus for our Outlander Sports!
That actually played a significant roll in me choosing the OS. The 8.5 inches of ground clearance were definitely a huge benefit of the OD
Old Jun 18, 2015, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No doubt!
Getting stuck in snow is bad enough, but if you're stuck out in -20 degrees and having to navigate in snow&ICE on highways and overpasses with just FWD... it's no bueno!

PS:
Why AWD in Houston, you ask...
Because they get crazy heavy rain storms and muddy runoffs in streets sometimes.

Having one of the highest ground clearance (8.5") of All the small CUVs is another big Plus for our Outlander Sports!
Ahhhh touché. Don't know why I didn't think of that, especially since the Texas floods have been all over the news lately. I remember being stuck in a blizzard on the highway a few years back. Was in my first car (2001 Maxima) and a 45 minute drive turned into about 10 HOURS!!

Soooo.... AWD it is! I'll post some pics once I find the right one, thanks to everyone for the advice!!
Old Jun 18, 2015, 11:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by ZombieBatman
Ahhhh touché. Don't know why I didn't think of that, especially since the Texas floods have been all over the news lately. I remember being stuck in a blizzard on the highway a few years back. Was in my first car (2001 Maxima) and a 45 minute drive turned into about 10 HOURS!!

Soooo.... AWD it is! I'll post some pics once I find the right one, thanks to everyone for the advice!!

I know exactly what that was like! (We had a 4 hour roadtrip that turned into 8 hrs! And it was insane! The snow literally came down "sideways" I couldn't see more than a few feet in front of us on the highway. And you can't make out the edges/sides of the expressway.)
On the way back from OK to TX, we counted more than 300+ vehicles just wrecked & abandoned on I35 heading home just one day later. That's before we even came close to crossing the border, it was like a freaking war zone. We just stopped counting after that.

Also, you should be able to find AWDs relatively easy up around your parts than compared to down south, But try to find one that's '13 or newer. So, that you get the most out of the remaining warranty.

And, whatever you find get it inspected by a trusted mechanic. Especially for salt damage/rusts underneath.
Keep an eye out on any flood damaged vehicles. (That I'm sure some used car dealers will try to pawn off, that's been trucked up to the North from down south, recently...)

Last edited by mRVRsport; Jun 18, 2015 at 11:49 PM.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 06:48 AM

I know exactly what that was like! (We had a 4 hour roadtrip that turned into 8 hrs! And it was insane! The snow literally came down "sideways" I couldn't see more than a few feet in front of us on the highway. And you can't make out the edges/sides of the expressway.)
On the way back from OK to TX, we counted more than 300+ vehicles just wrecked & abandoned on I35 heading home just one day later. That's before we even came close to crossing the border, it was like a freaking war zone. We just stopped counting after that.

Also, you should be able to find AWDs relatively easy up around your parts than compared to down south, But try to find one that's '13 or newer. So, that you get the most out of the remaining warranty.

And, whatever you find get it inspected by a trusted mechanic. Especially for salt damage/rusts underneath.
Keep an eye out on any flood damaged vehicles. (That I'm sure some used car dealers will try to pawn off, that's been trucked up to the North from down south, recently...)
That's what I've been trying to explain to my GF. You get what you pay for. We might pay a bit more up front for the '13 but could very well end up paying even more, in the long run, for something that doesn't have much left on the warranty.

And thanks for the tip about the water damaged cars. Will definitely be having it looked at by mechanic, no doubt about it!
Old Jun 20, 2015, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ZombieBatman
That's what I've been trying to explain to my GF. You get what you pay for. We might pay a bit more up front for the '13 but could very well end up paying even more, in the long run, for something that doesn't have much left on the warranty.

And thanks for the tip about the water damaged cars. Will definitely be having it looked at by mechanic, no doubt about it!

Just a quick NOTE >
Mitsu have some crazy incentives and offers Brand New 2015 O.Sports with AWD for about the same price as some Used, so you should keep an eye out for such offers.

Just a quick search on cars.com - found 221 New O.sports with AWD** around the 11692 ZIP area... base ES starts at $18,329.

& Used '13 AWD start around $16,995 with low 25,198 miles...

** That's just insane!
We couldn't find more than 6 AWDs on any dealer lot around Dallas/Ft.Worth area when we were looking, even if we wanted to pay extra for them. They would have needed to special order them for us from the factory...

Last edited by mRVRsport; Jun 20, 2015 at 06:21 AM.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Just a quick NOTE >
Mitsu have some crazy incentives and offers Brand New 2015 O.Sports with AWD for about the same price as some Used, so you should keep an eye out for such offers.

after shopping other small SUV's, we were shocked at the value of the OS.

did not like the look of the Ford Escape and Nissan Juke, but checked them out anyway. expecting them to have the nicest interiors, it turned out neither of us liked them. Escape looked like a DJ mixing booth inside - too much going on. Juke interior was just odd and seemed like a waste of space. both too pricey once you add options ..

Forester was too big and seemed cheap inside (and again, too pricey for what you get, although resale value is very good). she just plain didn't like the Crosstrek for whatever reason.

you just can't beat the OS .... WARRANTY!, awesome SW-HID lights, nice backup cam, great factory soundsystem, AWD modes, paddleshifters, 18" wheels, FAST key, auto wipers and headlights, auto climate, panoramic roof, etc. for under $25k.

comparably-equipped Forester would be over $30k, without many of those features, and with a lesser warranty.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Landshark
after shopping other small SUV's, we were shocked at the value of the OS.

did not like the look of the Ford Escape and Nissan Juke, but checked them out anyway. expecting them to have the nicest interiors, it turned out neither of us liked them. Escape looked like a DJ mixing booth inside - too much going on. Juke interior was just odd and seemed like a waste of space. both too pricey once you add options ..

Forester was too big and seemed cheap inside (and again, too pricey for what you get, although resale value is very good). she just plain didn't like the Crosstrek for whatever reason.

you just can't beat the OS .... WARRANTY!, awesome SW-HID lights, nice backup cam, great factory soundsystem, AWD modes, paddleshifters, 18" wheels, FAST key, auto wipers and headlights, auto climate, panoramic roof, etc. for under $25k.

comparably-equipped Forester would be over $30k, without many of those features, and with a lesser warranty.
Back when we were looking.. you couldn't get a Juke with HIDs even if you wanted to pay for them. (However, just the other day I saw a Juke with what looked like HID projectors in the bug-eye lens, so I don't know if they are stock or aftermarkets.)

And, Toyota RAV4, Honda CR-V, Mazda CX-5, Nissan Rogue are all either way overpriced (for AWD & HID healights) or just lack the features completely.

The Korean brand of the KIA/Hyundai variety didn't far any better.

Forget about any of the Euro brands - Audi, BMW, Land Rover, Mercedes, Volkswagen (even in the Pre-owned segment)

Last edited by mRVRsport; Jun 20, 2015 at 05:52 PM.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
And, Toyota RAV4
too $ for what you get

Honda CR-V
supposedly the AWD is a joke. like, doesn't even work.
http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/looks-...rk-1649969431#

Mazda CX-5
i'll never buy a car that looks like its smiling at me. didn't want for some other reason, too - can't remember.

Nissan Rogue
too $ for what you get, too big (one was parked next to a new Murano, and they were the same size). i don't understand Nissan - either make the Rogue smaller, or the Murano bigger.

The Korean brand of the KIA/Hyundai variety didn't far any better.
just "meh". not a value any more. for $1000 more, i'd get the RAV-4 and still have some resale value after a few years.

Forget about any of the Euro brands - Audi, BMW, Land Rover, Mercedes, Volkswagen (even in the Pre-owned segment)
Old Jun 21, 2015, 07:44 AM
Evolving Member

ZombieBatman , I have both AWD and FWD '14 OS's and yes there is a difference in quickness.....a lot , but here in New York we shouldn't have even thought about the FWD .
Old Jun 21, 2015, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Landshark

Honda CR-V**
supposedly the AWD is a joke. like, doesn't even work.
http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/looks-like-the-2015-honda-cr-vs-awd-system-doesnt-work-1649969431#

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!
Now that's a major embarrassment if I ever seen one.

So, all Honda did was slap an AWD badge on their fwd models and up charged the customers a few $$$$ for the sticker?

** Stands for Crapy Reardrive Vehicle
Old Jun 25, 2015, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
The selectable AWD/4WD and the 8.5" ground clearance is a huge benefit in the Canadian winters and anywhere with substantial snowfall. If not the look than the inferior AWD system and the trade of ground clearance for a larger passenger space/flat floor in the CRV steared me away from Honda.
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!
Now that's a major embarrassment if I ever seen one.

Honda CR-V 2014 4WD failure - YouTube

So, all Honda did was slap an AWD badge on their fwd models and up charged the customers a few $$$$ for the sticker?

** Stands for Crapy Reardrive Vehicle
Honda's response to the above test unfortunately does not stand the real world testing as the following article and video shows:
http://totalcar.hu/tesztek/2013/02/1...uv_terepteszt/
Use Google Chrome and translate the article. Scroll down an find the video (17 mins long). If you are only interested in the performance of the CRV, watch only between 7:15 and 8:30. For each of the tested vehicle the first run is in automatic mode, while the second is with traction control off and locking the differentials (if available). In case of the Outlander (that wins this test) the first run is in 4WD auto and the second in 4WD lock.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Up until the latest firmware update, all 13-15 Nissan Pathfinders would only stay in 4WD to about 20 MPH or a minute. LOTS of chatter on the forums about that for sure! BTW, Nissan uses the same Jatco CVTs as found in our RVR/Oses yet Nissan's CVTs are problematic.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CottageLifer
Up until the latest firmware update, all 13-15 Nissan Pathfinders would only stay in 4WD to about 20 MPH or a minute. LOTS of chatter on the forums about that for sure! BTW, Nissan uses the same Jatco CVTs as found in our RVR/Oses yet Nissan's CVTs are problematic.
Is that so..???
That's very weird.

So, (since I never owned a Nissan) Do their AWD systems have selectability? Of any kind, like ours - FWD/AUTO/LOCK??

I knew Nissan's CVTs were made by the same third-party company Jatco that provides Mitsu's...
So, what kind of CVT problems are the Nissan's experiencing??

And, from what little personal test-drive experience I had with Nissans, I felt their CVTs were "better"/less noisy and quicker/stronger pull (from off the line) than ours. At least in their 2013s at the time. (Nissan Rogue, Juke, & Altima)
Old Jun 25, 2015, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Pathfinder has 2WD/Auto/4WD. But as I said, the 4WD was previously not a LOCKED version at all! I was, to put it mildly, POed when I discovered that - during a blizzard going up to the ski hill. Latest firmware fixed it, apparently. And that I think is the diff - Mits likely programs its own FWE and probably tests the heck out of it, unlike Nissan. I will say the PF is very snappy, but reliability is definitely in question. And you don't want to know how much it costs to replace a CVT.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CottageLifer
Pathfinder has 2WD/Auto/4WD. But as I said, the 4WD was previously not a LOCKED version at all! I was, to put it mildly, POed when I discovered that - during a blizzard going up to the ski hill. Latest firmware fixed it, apparently. And that I think is the diff - Mits likely programs its own FWE and probably tests the heck out of it, unlike Nissan. I will say the PF is very snappy, but reliability is definitely in question. And you don't want to know how much it costs to replace a CVT.
I see..
Interesting.
Glad a software patch can fix such a problem.

Well, the Mitsu's AWD platform in our O.Sports/ASXs/RVRs (and in the Outlander) are directly from the original EVO IV's if I recall correctly. So, Mitsu had Plenty of "testing" with them already. The CVT is the only real new component they had to tweak/figure out.

Oh, yeah I KNOW exactly how much CVTs can cost!
We were strongly considering a MINI Cooper S/Countryman (back when we shopping)... That's until I happen to see some online forums that talked about their Horrid transmission problems and how they/dealerships couldn't repair the issues and only offered to Replace. Which costs upwards of $6,000-8,000 depending on age.
(For models only 3-5 years old too. Just old enough to be out of 3yr warranty... But, even then if you were still under warranty they would give you so much grief over warranty repairs/coverages it's not worth the trouble. For a vehicle that's Barely 2 years old.)
And, you have NO WAY of getting your hands on new units yourself. MINI don't sale their trans. or auto parts to secondary mechanics. You're only able to get whole unit(s) from them directly/stealerships. (or Risk pulling another unit from the salvage yard that's junked or in no better shape than the one you're swopping.)

So, I've permanently banned MINIs from our list. (And, that's even when I'm a diehard BMW guy.)

Last edited by mRVRsport; Jun 25, 2015 at 11:14 AM.

Quick Reply: AWD vs. FWD - Newbie Question