Notices

AWD vs. FWD - Newbie Question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2015, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by CottageLifer
Up until the latest firmware update, all 13-15 Nissan Pathfinders would only stay in 4WD to about 20 MPH or a minute. LOTS of chatter on the forums about that for sure! BTW, Nissan uses the same Jatco CVTs as found in our RVR/Oses yet Nissan's CVTs are problematic.
While they are also JATCO CVTs I believe they are not the same model.
Mitsubishi OS/RVR and Outlander has the JF011E model and within the Nissan family many models are used:
Juke/Cube/Note: JF015E
Rogue/Altima: JF016E/JF017E
Pathfinder/Maxima: JF018E
Murano: JF010E, as far as I know.

I have also heard that the AWD lock system in the Nissan models turns off above certain speed. Here is the link that backs up CottageLifer's comment ( see #3 and #4 posts):
http://www.pathfindertalk.com/forum/...-4wd-lock.html
Old Jun 25, 2015, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by AWCAWD
The selectable AWD/4WD and the 8.5" ground clearance is a huge benefit in the Canadian winters and anywhere with substantial snowfall. If not the look than the inferior AWD system and the trade of ground clearance for a larger passenger space/flat floor in the CRV steared me away from Honda.

Honda's response to the above test unfortunately does not stand the real world testing as the following article and video shows:
http://totalcar.hu/tesztek/2013/02/1...uv_terepteszt/
Use Google Chrome and translate the article. Scroll down an find the video (17 mins long). If you are only interested in the performance of the CRV, watch only between 7:15 and 8:30. For each of the tested vehicle the first run is in automatic mode, while the second is with traction control off and locking the differentials (if available). In case of the Outlander (that wins this test) the first run is in 4WD auto and the second in 4WD lock.

Just watched the video..
Honda CR-V 2.0L AWD
SO Sad..
Couldn't even make it up pass the mole hill.! Gets stuck on the little crest and couldn't even back itself off. Even with help.
Had to get it towed.

I would hate to be that driver of the CR-V in the middle of deep winter and nobody around to help pull you down (or up) that tiny hill.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Now I know why my neighbour gets stuck every winter. I am kinda shocked that Honda did/allows this.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mRVRsport
Just watched the video..
Honda CR-V 2.0L AWD
SO Sad..
Couldn't even make it up pass the mole hill.! Gets stuck on the little crest and couldn't even back itself off. Even with help.
Had to get it towed.

I would hate to be that driver of the CR-V in the middle of deep winter and nobody around to help pull you down (or up) that tiny hill.
My wife's CR-V is pretty pathetic in the snow
Old Jun 25, 2015, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Now I know why my neighbour gets stuck every winter. I am kinda shocked that Honda did/allows this.
Originally Posted by kanundra
My wife's CR-V is pretty pathetic in the snow

Guess that's why you don't see Honda's in Rally/Off-Road racing all that much, if any.

If there's ever a some mud & snow on the streets or just a steep rabbit hill in their path, they might as well turn around and go home.

I'm surprised with such Limp abilities like that, you still see so many Hondas around here in Texas. Guess it's just because most of our land is so flat.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Just watched the video..
Honda CR-V 2.0L AWD
SO Sad..
Had to get it towed.

I forgot to emphasize that all cars in the test (except the Suzuki, which was supplied by a private person) were equipped with dealer-installed winter tires.
It is pathetic how strongly the automotive journalists defend the CRV. For example here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s-Nn9PbofY
Go to 6:35 in the video and read the associated comments.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AWCAWD
While they are also JATCO CVTs I believe they are not the same model.
Mitsubishi OS/RVR and Outlander has the JF011E model and within the Nissan family many models are used:
Juke/Cube/Note: JF015E
Rogue/Altima: JF016E/JF017E
Pathfinder/Maxima: JF018E
Murano: JF010E, as far as I know.

I have also heard that the AWD lock system in the Nissan models turns off above certain speed. Here is the link that backs up CottageLifer's comment ( see #3 and #4 posts):
http://www.pathfindertalk.com/forum/...-4wd-lock.html
Wonder what they did in those 16E/17E units?
They are peppy/responsive when we test drove them.

(And, "appeared" to be quieter than ours. Could just be more sound insulation, but still.)

Last edited by mRVRsport; Jun 25, 2015 at 12:50 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

For this model year Nissan changed the programming in the CVTs to its D-Step shifting. Supposedly makes it more like a conventional tranny. Why I do not know!
Old Jun 25, 2015, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

For this model year Nissan changed the programming in the CVTs to its D-Step shifting. Supposedly makes it more like a conventional tranny. Why I do not know!
I am almost certain that it happened in response to consumer demand. People want to hear the rpm rising and then suddenly dropping as opposed to the sound of an electric motor.
In my view it defeats the purpose of a CVT (I go even further, strictly speaking it should no longer be called CVT as the ratios are not CONTINUOUSLY changing but rather somewhat stepwise.).
Old Jun 25, 2015, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, I know. Makes me crazy. Perhaps I am the crazy one - I *like* the CVT. Gimme a Tesla any day over big iron (unless it is a 57 Vette)
Old Jun 28, 2015, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

Here's some more real-world AWD testing (older video but still funny), just for grins >

Old Jun 28, 2015, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Here's some more real-world AWD testing (older video but still funny), just for grins >

Subaru AWD Uphill Comparison Test - YouTube
saw a similar video and Volvo didnt fare any better. who's going to test the OS?
Old Jun 28, 2015, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Landshark
saw a similar video and Volvo didnt fare any better. who's going to test the OS?

Not sure..

But, here's the massive video collection of every youtube vids of our OS/RVR/ASX there is, done by our member Wes >

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ou...o-reviews.html
Old Jun 28, 2015, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Watched a couple. Real snow tires anyone?? Also, one vid claimed the cars were made in Illinois. Really??
Old Jun 28, 2015, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Watched a couple. Real snow tires anyone?? Also, one vid claimed the cars were made in Illinois. Really??
The Outlander Sports are now assembled in Illinois, yes. Here's what I have yet to remove from my car lol

Quick Reply: AWD vs. FWD - Newbie Question