Notices

AWD vs. FWD - Newbie Question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2015, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Who knew? My 11 was made in Japan. No offense to Americans (or Canadians for that matter) but the foreign cars made here never seems as good as though made in their homeland.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by CottageLifer
Who knew? My 11 was made in Japan. No offense to Americans (or Canadians for that matter) but the foreign cars made here never seems as good as though made in their homeland.
Oh?
Guess you forgot about those Yugos...

Last edited by mRVRsport; Jun 28, 2015 at 08:25 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

AFAIk Yugos were never made on this side of the pond. Ditto for Tatras, Ladas etc. And you haven' t lived until you've driven a Trabant.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mRVRsport
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!
Now that's a major embarrassment if I ever seen one.

Honda CR-V 2014 4WD failure - YouTube

So, all Honda did was slap an AWD badge on their fwd models and up charged the customers a few $$$$ for the sticker?

** Stands for Crapy Reardrive Vehicle

A little redemption for Honda... in their Acura line at least.
So, if you're willing to shell out a minimum of $50K.. You'll get a decent AWD capable SUV?

Old Jul 4, 2015, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
sucks how Mitsubishi is all but forgotten in AWD tests and SUV comparisons ... pretty much any car reviews. used to get the Evo vs STI shootouts, and thats about it.

their marketing is horrible ... like Subarus used to be. they need to turn that around to start selling cars in North America again. Subaru did, and now they're making record profits.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Landshark
sucks how Mitsubishi is all but forgotten in AWD tests and SUV comparisons ... pretty much any car reviews. used to get the Evo vs STI shootouts, and thats about it.

their marketing is horrible ... like Subarus used to be. they need to turn that around to start selling cars in North America again. Subaru did, and now they're making record profits.
No kidding!
Once Mitsu decided to just keep their potent Turbo motors ONLY in their EVOs, it's all down hill from there...
What happened to the Turbo Eclipse(/Talons AWDs?) and 3000GTs??

Hell, I dear say when/IF Mitsu Top Execs get off their walkers and put some Zoom Zoom back into their other vehicles like they once had in the 90's, they won't need all that much marketing.

- Can you imagine what a sleeper an SUV Mitsu would have if they stuff that 3000GT twin-turbo V6 AWD system into the Outlander!? Or, Better yet... I believe we have plenty of room under our hood too!

Last edited by mRVRsport; Jul 4, 2015 at 08:10 PM.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

No kidding!
Once Mitsu decided to just keep their potent Turbo motors ONLY in their EVOs, it's all down hill from there...
What happened to the Turbo Eclipse(/Talons AWDs?) and 3000GTs??

Hell, I dear say when/IF Mitsu Top Execs get off their walkers and put some Zoom Zoom back into their other vehicles like they once had in the 90's, they won't need all that much marketing.

- Can you imagine what a sleeper an SUV Mitsu would have if they stuff that 3000GT twin-turbo V6 AWD system into the Outlander!? Or, Better yet... I believe we have plenty of room under our hood too!

Bring back the AWD turbo Eclipse! I like my Evo, but I'd prefer a 2 door sports car with that power train. The Eclipse turned into a "girl's sports car" in the end. The OS could compete with the Forester XT and other hopped up SUV's. Then, a good midsize sedan that's not bland as hell (Galant).
Old Jul 4, 2015, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

^
Now that I have a baby I really like 4 doors AND a tailgate.
What I Don't understand is... With all the SUV craze even traditional performance marquees are jumping in (ie: BMW X5M, Porshce Macan S), why couldn't Mitsu do it with their Outlander? Just massage it with the twin-turbo V6 & their S-AWC and step up to the plate!

Gees even Jeep's planning on whipping out a Grand Cherokee Hellcat. What gives?
Surely Mitsu can do a EVO SUV!

I guarantee Mitsu would get so much free press & exposure on such a vehicle they wouldn't have to worry about racking their brains on spiffy marketing.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

"small minds dig small furrows" as Gramps used to say! Honestly - no excuse for better performance. I read a BMW X5 vs Kia review today. Kia got the nod - dollar for dollar. The Kia is no where near as nice as the Outlander.

And what about a diesel? After my experience in southern Europe (Monte Carlo, Italy) with a diesel Peugot, I'm in!
Old Jul 5, 2015, 05:01 AM
Evolved Member

Subaru is doing everything right - you lure them in young with a WRX, maybe upgrade to an STI, then as people get married and have kids, sell them the Forester or Outback.

there aren't any 16 year old kids putting Mirage posters on their wall. when the Evo dies, Mitsu has nothing exciting in their line up. i really like the OS, but it doesn't exactly get the adrenaline pumping.

Mitsu needs:

Mirage, for the budget-minded

cheap base Eclipse - small and light (not like the previous fat-*** one) - draw in the young adults

AWD turbo Eclipse - would corner the market here - BRZ/FRS/Miata/etc don't have enough power or AWD

Lancer/OS/Outlander/larger 4-door sedan

AWD turbo versions of Lancer/OS/Outlander/larger 4-door sedan

4 engines - 1.2L, 2.0L, 2.4L, 2.0L turbo - maybe even scrap the NA 2.0L to keep it simple.

get profits and customer base up, then maybe drop the new 3000GT "supercar".

sorry, this got way off-topic.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Subaru is doing everything right - you lure them in young with a WRX, maybe upgrade to an STI, then as people get married and have kids, sell them the Forester or Outback.

there aren't any 16 year old kids putting Mirage posters on their wall. when the Evo dies, Mitsu has nothing exciting in their line up. i really like the OS, but it doesn't exactly get the adrenaline pumping.

Mitsu needs:

Mirage, for the budget-minded ???

cheap base Eclipse - small and light (not like the previous fat-*** one) - draw in the young adults

AWD turbo Eclipse - would corner the market here - BRZ/FRS/Miata/etc don't have enough power or AWD

Lancer/OS/Outlander/larger 4-door sedan

AWD turbo versions of Lancer/OS/Outlander/larger 4-door sedan

4 engines - 1.2L, 2.0L, 2.4L, 2.0L turbo - maybe even scrap the NA 2.0L to keep it simple.

get profits and customer base up, then maybe drop the new 3000GT "supercar".

sorry, this got way off-topic.
You're staying on topic!
Right on target > this is all about Mitsubishi.

In fact, they should just get rid of the Mirage - Name & Model altogether.
Have you see it? It's so embarrassingly Ugly.
If you're going to make a subcompact class vehicle these days, they must UP that exterior appearance to the level of a MINI Cooper, Smart4-2 or better - just to compete. AND, then.. better have a some decent trim level to hold the customers.
Trying to lure folks in with cheap price, high MPG but poor go-go performance is not going to move those cars off the dealer lot.
(Do you remember a car called Geo Metro? The Mirage looks like its exact redheaded clone.)

I agree with you on all your suggestions about the other options, but I think Mitsu should rethink some of the names.. Don't just re-use those Old names - Lancers & 3000GTs.

Perhaps instead:
just start with sedan line called Evo's.
Then their performance line Evo mR
Their Top End EVO GTX

Last edited by mRVRsport; Jul 5, 2015 at 07:18 AM.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Speaking of that - Subura is sort of copying what GM (with different Brands) did... >
Get 'em young and "the working class" with the Chevys, then if they want performance push them up to a Vette. And, once they get old move them into a Cadillac.

But, I think BMW got it right from the get go >
Lure them ALL in with 3-series, start with a solid base car (with RWD & AWD) AND allow for massive trim options all the way up to the mighty M3. Without having to go to a different Brand - like GM(as mentioned above), Toyota/Lexus, Honda/Acura etc etc.

Then "rinse and repeat" as their customers get older with the 5-series and 7-series.
Now BMW is doing the exact same thing with their X-series SUVs and 1-Series. They all have a solid base model and each can level-UP all the way up to the 'M' trim.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

You're staying on topic!
Right on target > this is all about Mitsubishi.
not really - this thread started as a discussion about AWD.

In fact, they should just get rid of the Mirage - Name & Model altogether.
Have you see it? It's so embarrassingly Ugly.
If you're going to make a subcompact class vehicle these days, they must UP that exterior appearance to the level of a MINI Cooper, Smart4-2 or better - just to compete. AND, then.. better have a some decent trim level to hold the customers.
Trying to lure folks in with cheap price, high MPG but poor go-go performance is not going to move those cars off the dealer lot.
i do agree - i wouldn't want one, but there are a ton of them on the road around here, OS's and Lancers, too. i do live very close to the only Mitsu dealer south of Pittsburgh, though ...

my aunt was looking for a used Prius because her new job is a long commute - i suggested a new Mirage, because pretty much same gas mileage and sweet *warranty*.

I agree with you on all your suggestions about the other options, but I think Mitsu should rethink some of the names.. Don't just re-use those Old names - Lancers & 3000GTs.
Lancer is pretty well established. most won't even remember the 3000GT , but a new name wouldn't hurt.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Mud fest or mud test. Can a FWD version pass this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBTBhrJWMMw