Notices

AWD vs. FWD - Newbie Question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2015, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking AWD vs. FWD - Newbie Question

Hi guys - looking to join the OS club and wanted to ask a question about AWD vs. FWD. I'm in the Northeast and like the idea of AWD for the snow and taking it off road from time to time. But I'd also consider the FWD because I've heard it's a little quicker without the added weight of AWD.

So, what do you guys think?

How does the FWD handle snow?

Is it really quicker than the AWD? Is it that noticeable?

Thanks in advance!

PS: I'm looking to buy CPO 2011-2013.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Best advice is to go test drive both versions, for yourself.

But, here's some cliffnotes:

FWD Only:
1. Lighter weight by ~400lb.
2. Larger gas tank : 16.2gallons vs 15.8gal in the AWD.
3. abit quicker off the line. (just because it's lighter)

AWD:
1. AWD! [with benefit of switching (on the fly) between FWD, AWD Auto or AWD Lock]
2. Better traction & handling in inclement weather!

Oh and BTW to answer your question about "handle snow...", here you go (at least for the AWD) >

Original LINK >> https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ou...ow-donuts.html

Last edited by mRVRsport; Jun 15, 2015 at 08:45 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 09:07 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
AWD. Because reasons.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

There is NO WAY that I would ever buy a non-AWD/4WD vehicle again, and more so living where there are mountains and snowstorms. Maybe if I lived in Texas I'd do FWD. One of the big reasons I bought the RVR AWC was to have a safe, great handling car for my daughter to drive in the winter. Or at least that is what I told my wife.

BTW, non all AWD systems are the same. But that is likely another thread.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by ZombieBatman

Is it really quicker than the AWD? Is it that noticeable?
if you're even asking about the quickness, this isn't the car for you.

i never drove the 2.0L, but the 2.4L acceleration is "adequate".

more important than FWD or AWD in the snow are whether you're running decent snow tires or not (preferably on as narrow a wheel/tire that will fit) . i live in an area with a fair amount of hills - AWD helps going up them (not so much going down, though). FWD would be fine in the snow, but AWD makes for a "not so nervous" driving experience in the white stuff.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

+1 on the good snow tires. BTW, the price does not always relate to snow tire performance.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 09:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i wish the dealership had an AWD when i got mine...
Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

The only reason I can think of for getting an FWD is to get a 5 speed manual transmission. Like a Subaru - which offers it in its AWD. Now that would be sweet/fun!
Old Jun 16, 2015, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by mRVRsport
Best advice is to go test drive both versions, for yourself.

But, here's some cliffnotes:

FWD Only:
1. Lighter weight by ~400lb.
2. Larger gas tank : 16.2gallons vs 15.8gal in the AWD.
3. abit quicker off the line. (just because it's lighter)

AWD:
1. AWD! [with benefit of switching (on the fly) between FWD, AWD Auto or AWD Lock]
2. Better traction & handling in inclement weather!

Oh and BTW to answer your question about "handle snow...", here you go (at least for the AWD) >

Original LINK >> https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ou...ow-donuts.html

Outlander Sport AWD Snow Donuts - YouTube
@mRVRsport thanks for your insight!

I'm definitely gonna try to get into both versions to feel them out for myself but it's looking like AWD is the way to go.

And as far as the video goes...

There is NO WAY that I would ever buy a non-AWD/4WD vehicle again, and more so living where there are mountains and snowstorms. Maybe if I lived in Texas I'd do FWD. One of the big reasons I bought the RVR AWC was to have a safe, great handling car for my daughter to drive in the winter. Or at least that is what I told my wife.
@CottageLifer Yea, that's what I'm thinking. With the amount of snow we've been getting, better to have the AWD for when I need it. Plus, I've seen some of the pics of what you can do with it off road.

if you're even asking about the quickness, this isn't the car for you.

i never drove the 2.0L, but the 2.4L acceleration is "adequate".

more important than FWD or AWD in the snow are whether you're running decent snow tires or not (preferably on as narrow a wheel/tire that will fit) . i live in an area with a fair amount of hills - AWD helps going up them (not so much going down, though). FWD would be fine in the snow, but AWD makes for a "not so nervous" driving experience in the white stuff.
@Landshark I guess I was more so wondering if the AWD felt sluggish compared to the lighter FWD or if it was just a marginal difference. I knew I wasn't gonna get a bullet off the line when I started looking at the OS.

Thanks again, guys and I'll keep a good set of snow tires in mind!
Old Jun 16, 2015, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

One thing I like about the RVR/OS is the clearance. Way better than my son's Subaru.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by ZombieBatman
@Landshark I guess I was more so wondering if the AWD felt sluggish compared to the lighter FWD or if it was just a marginal difference. I knew I wasn't gonna get a bullet off the line when I started looking at the OS.
we were coming from a Forester XT (turbo), so i didn't even consider the 2.0L. it may be fine for most peeps, but i didn't want to drop down too much from what we were used to. only test drove the 2.4L AWD, and it compared to the 2015 Forester as far as "quickness".

i can't imagine the FWD/AWD difference would be that much, but maybe on the 2.0L it is.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Landshark
we were coming from a Forester XT (turbo), so i didn't even consider the 2.0L. it may be fine for most peeps, but i didn't want to drop down too much from what we were used to. only test drove the 2.4L AWD, and it compared to the 2015 Forester as far as "quickness".

i can't imagine the FWD/AWD difference would be that much, but maybe on the 2.0L it is.
Cool, thanks, I'll definitely keep that in mind. Hopefully, when the time comes, I can find the perfect model! Closing on a house at the end of July so I can't pull the trigger until that's done but all of this info really helps. Thanks again!
Old Jun 16, 2015, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by jono119
i wish the dealership had an AWD when i got mine...
Any reason in particular? I see you're in Houston, so I assume you wouldn't need it for the winter.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

Here are some 0-60 times. FWIW. http://autofiles.com/0-60-times/mits...tlander-sport/ My "butt dyno" says it is slower than that, but not bad after the first 20-30 kph. Would be interesting to see what the middle acceleration curves look like.

I only hope the 2017 version mates a nice 6 speed manual to the turbo diesel. Mine will be up on Autotrader in less than the 0-60 time if that happens.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by CottageLifer
Here are some 0-60 times. FWIW. http://autofiles.com/0-60-times/mits...tlander-sport/ My "butt dyno" says it is slower than that, but not bad after the first 20-30 kph. Would be interesting to see what the middle acceleration curves look like.

I only hope the 2017 version mates a nice 6 speed manual to the turbo diesel. Mine will be up on Autotrader in less than the 0-60 time if that happens.
Thanks for this... nice to see the difference in hard data.

Quick Reply: AWD vs. FWD - Newbie Question