Notices

New Member, thinking about getting an OS

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2015, 07:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Member, thinking about getting an OS

I've been lurking the forum for a few days now because I'm trying to gather info on the OS. I'm thinking about getting a 2015 ES 2.4 FWD. My two main concerns with this vehicle are the claims of anemic power and the cargo space.

Many have said the 2.0 is really weak, so for those of you that have the 2.4 how is it? I don't expect to be blown away, but i don't wanna have trouble going up a freeway ramp either. Also, do you find the cargo space sufficient? Sorry for the long winded post, just doing my homework because I really like a lot of things about this vehicle. Ground clearance, nice standard features, styling, nice wheels, great warranty, etc.

Thanks.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Fedguy86
I've been lurking the forum for a few days now because I'm trying to gather info on the OS. I'm thinking about getting a 2015 ES 2.4 FWD. My two main concerns with this vehicle are the claims of anemic power and the cargo space.

Many have said the 2.0 is really weak, so for those of you that have the 2.4 how is it? I don't expect to be blown away, but i don't wanna have trouble going up a freeway ramp either. Also, do you find the cargo space sufficient? Sorry for the long winded post, just doing my homework because I really like a lot of things about this vehicle. Ground clearance, nice standard features, styling, nice wheels, great warranty, etc.

Thanks.
Welcome to the forum.
Glad you decided to speak up.

Well, I'll let others who actually own the 2.4L speak about the power.

But, regarding cargo space (since it's all the same for every year model) Here's what you can carry, ACTUAL examples :

1. With both back seats folded down -

LINK >https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ou...t-asx-rvr.html

2. rear seats up (just the standard cargo area)

LINK >
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ou...ew-member.html

3. Here's how many tires you can carry -

4. Not enough interior space, you say... Then install a Curt Class III Hitch and add one of these -

LINK > https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ou...ssories-2.html

5. Still not enough carrying space? Well get this -

6. No? Still not enough... Tough customer aye? Haul one on these then -
url

LINK (Post#26) >
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ou...r-sport-2.html

PS: I will say this about power..
IF you are getting the FWD only version, then keep in mind you are about 400lb LIGHTER than the AWD model... So, the vehicle will feel a bit more snappy. (That's in the 2.0L too)
Just FYI

Last edited by mRVRsport; Jul 29, 2015 at 09:02 AM.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 08:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
the 2.4 is perfect.

test drive them both so you can make the best decision.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 08:59 AM

Thanks for the info. It helps seeing real world pictures. I planned on test driving both, but coming from a V6 I'm sure I'll want the 2.4. The space looks good enough for what I'll use it for, plus i like the idea of utilizing the roof rack and/or hitch rack.

I've never driven a CVT before so i was also wondering how the OS's feels and performs.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the info. It helps seeing real world pictures. I planned on test driving both, but coming from a V6 I'm sure I'll want the 2.4. The space looks good enough for what I'll use it for, plus i like the idea of utilizing the roof rack and/or hitch rack.

I've never driven a CVT before so i was also wondering how the OS's feels and performs.

You bet, glad to help.

Since you're coming from the Jeep Wrangler crowd, it'll definitely feel different!

But, if you're looking to get better gas mileage.. You'll notice an extreme improvement from what you came from, Immediately.
(going from ~16mpgs to 26+ MPGs on regular gas. )
Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by mRVRsport
You bet, glad to help.

Since you're coming from the Jeep Wrangler crowd, it'll definitely feel different!

But, if you're looking to get better gas mileage.. You'll notice an extreme improvement from what you came from, Immediately.
(going from ~16mpgs to 26+ MPGs on regular gas. )
Absolutely. There are a lot of things i like about my Wrangler, but fuel economy isn't one of them. I'm lucky to get 19 highway. Plus i need something with 4 doors and the 4 door wrangler isn't very comfortable on the road, plus they're pricey.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Absolutely. There are a lot of things i like about my Wrangler, but fuel economy isn't one of them. I'm lucky to get 19 highway. Plus i need something with 4 doors and the 4 door wrangler isn't very comfortable on the road, plus they're pricey.
Not sure what other brands of CUVs/SUVs you've looked at...

And, I'm Not saying you should consider the other competitors... cough*mazda*cough. But, since you're in the market for a 4door CUVs - (since we've talked about/mentioned them) >

CX-3
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ou...da-cx-3-a.html

or

CX-5 (2.5L)
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ou...-less-mpg.html

Comfort in our O.Sports is definitely a Plus.
We (3 adults + 1 baby) road trip to Oklahoma (~4 hours to & 4 hours back) enough to know.

Last edited by mRVRsport; Jul 29, 2015 at 11:46 AM.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Test the 2 and 2.4 for sure. I have the 2.0l AWD and it does just fine on acceleration and easily cruises at 70 mph. The 2.4 will for sure have more get up and go.

Like mentioned, I would check out the Mazda and the Subaru Forester. Maybe the VW Tiguan.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 12:09 PM

Well I've researched pretty much every vehicle in this segment. There are pros and cons to all of them. Most of those are out of my price range though. I'm not a fan of many of the new crossover designs, I like more SUV looking vehicles as opposed to some of the new ones that look like a sedan or a soccer mom van. They've gotten too slopey and angular in the battle for mpg supremacy IMO. Plus the dealerships near me have really good deals on the OS, much lower than any other SUVs.

I'm also looking at the Jeep Patriot, another vehicle that the critics were harsh on but owners love them. They are also heavily discounted.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 12:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My brother just purchased the jeep patriot 4x4 the same time i purchased my OS.

Difference is the transmission- Jeep doesn't use the CVT. and the interior is not as nice.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Well I've researched pretty much every vehicle in this segment. There are pros and cons to all of them. Most of those are out of my price range though. I'm not a fan of many of the new crossover designs, I like more SUV looking vehicles as opposed to some of the new ones that look like a sedan or a soccer mom van. They've gotten too slopey and angular in the battle for mpg supremacy IMO. Plus the dealerships near me have really good deals on the OS, much lower than any other SUVs.

I'm also looking at the Jeep Patriot, another vehicle that the critics were harsh on but owners love them. They are also heavily discounted.
Originally Posted by jono119

Difference is the transmission- Jeep doesn't use the CVT. and the interior is not as nice.

That was Fast!
I was just about to say someone on here mentioned they have a Jeep Patriot (or a Compass, one of those).

Glad Jono chimed in so quick
Saves me the time to search for that post.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

Nothing beats a good discount..

Other than a Long factory warranty!
10 years on Engine and Transmission (& 5 years on everything else, minus perishables of course) with our OS.
so, keep that in mind when comparing the Patriot.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 12:36 PM

Warranty definitely plays a big part for me. I believe Jeep still has lifetime powertrain but Mitsu wins on everything else. The Patriot actually does have a CVT as well, but most don't like it and say that the 6 speed is much better when paired to the 2.4L.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by jono119

Yea, the Patriot interior is very spartan. It looks almost identical to my 2007 Wrangler. Honestly, u can't get much more spartan than my Jeep, hard plastic everywhere, so as long as there's some soft touch materials I'll be happy.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Warranty definitely plays a big part for me. I believe Jeep still has lifetime powertrain but Mitsu wins on everything else. The Patriot actually does have a CVT as well, but most don't like it and say that the 6 speed is much better when paired to the 2.4L.

Oh! Is that so?
I didn't realize Jeep had such a lifetime coverage..

It's such a shame that Mitsu completely dropped the traditional trans option..
I think a 6-speed automatic with our 2.0L would have been great, especially when it comes to towing (AND Modding ).

Quick Reply: New Member, thinking about getting an OS