Notices

for those with a Rockford Fosgate system ...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2015, 05:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
for those with a Rockford Fosgate system ...

be thankful!

i just bought an Infiniti G37 with the Bose "Studio On Wheels" package - what a piece of crap-sounding system. "Bose - no highs, no lows".
the iPod control is awesome, however, but the audio quality sounds like *** ... in a car that likely stickered over $50k.

not a whole lot you can do to it aside from tearing it all out (i really don't feel like doing that), but i'm going to add a sealed powered sub and replace the fronts with Infinity Kappas.

drove my Evo and the wife's OS the other day and was immediately reminded how much better the RF system sound quality is.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 05:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nah ours sucks too. Would've been better off spending that amount on an aftermarket system. Dealer options in terms of audio are typically garbage. I only have mine in there still cause it came with mine (free, bought the car used) and I still got other performance upgrades before I start worrying about the audio.

Sorry to hear about the Bose system tho.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 06:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Landshark
be thankful!

i just bought an Infiniti G37 with the Bose "Studio On Wheels" package - what a piece of crap-sounding system. "Bose - no highs, no lows".
the iPod control is awesome, however, but the audio quality sounds like *** ... in a car that likely stickered over $50k.

not a whole lot you can do to it aside from tearing it all out (i really don't feel like doing that), but i'm going to add a sealed powered sub and replace the fronts with Infinity Kappas.

drove my Evo and the wife's OS the other day and was immediately reminded how much better the RF system sound quality is.
That IS Funny!
So that's what they are... There's two very large 8" Bose drivers in the doors. I always thought they were impressive "subs", but I guess they are just midrange speakers

(I'll post some pics of them later tonight.)
Old Aug 27, 2015, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Gh3ttoRoM3o
Nah ours sucks too. Would've been better off spending that amount on an aftermarket system. Dealer options in terms of audio are typically garbage. I only have mine in there still cause it came with mine (free, bought the car used) and I still got other performance upgrades before I start worrying about the audio.

Sorry to hear about the Bose system tho.
yes, you can always get better spending the same on aftermarket, but the RF is a good sounding factory system . Evo already had it when i bought it, and got it for the wife's OS because i didn't feel like messing with it.

Originally Posted by mRVRsport
That IS Funny!
So that's what they are... There's two very large 8" Bose drivers in the doors. I always thought they were impressive "subs", but I guess they are just midrange speakers

(I'll post some pics of them later tonight.)
i don't have the 8" in the doors - i have the coupe. it has 6.5's in the doors and 6x9 "subwoofers" in the rear deck. i managed to get a decent sound by using my ipod EQ and tweaking the headunit bass and treble. the powered sealed sub should help a LOT. debating on disconnecting the rear 6x9's, or replacing them with Infinity Kappa 2ohm 6x9's.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 05:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The RF system is on pair! You bump it up to 6 on bass and slide a CD in and you are vibrating not only the mirrors but you butt too all the way up in the front of the cab. I have had multiple people ask me what kind of aftermarket speakers I have in the O.S., nope its factory lol! The mids and Highs are nice too, the RF 10" sub is great, it anyone wanted a bit more juice all you would have to do it swap out amps to a higher out put and maybe some external controls, but it is just fine IMPO.

Last edited by TEXAS TRAVISTY; Aug 28, 2015 at 11:19 AM.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love the stereo. It's perfect for the lil extra bump I want and I like that it's factory and I didn't have to take the car apart lol
Old Aug 28, 2015, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TEXAS TRAVISTY
The RF system is on pair! You bump it up to 6 on bass and slide a CD in and you are vibrating not only the mirrors but you butt too all the way up in the front of the cab. I have had multiple people ask me what kind of aftermarket speakers I have in the O.S., nope its factory lol! The mids and Highs are nice too, the RF 10" sub is great, it anyone wanted a bit more juice all you would have to do it swap out amps to a higher out put and maybe some external controls, but it is just fine IMPO.
(I can't remember exactly where I read this...)
But, I recall it said something about our stock RF subwoofer having a sensor(accelerometer) built into the voice-coil to monitor cone excursion, as a signal loop back to the OEM amp. That's how it controls/prevents distortions at high volumes.

Not sure you'll be able to retain that functionality, if you swap out the factory amp with an aftermarket.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

i installed my powered Kicker sealed sub today, and its a big improvement. i'd still like to replace the fronts, but thats enough tearing the car apart for now.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

i don't have the 8" in the doors - i have the coupe. it has 6.5's in the doors and 6x9 "subwoofers" in the rear deck. i managed to get a decent sound by using my ipod EQ and tweaking the headunit bass and treble. the powered sealed sub should help a LOT. debating on disconnecting the rear 6x9's, or replacing them with Infinity Kappa 2ohm 6x9's.
Well, no worries..
Here's what the Bose "mid" driver looks like under the grill AND all that factory "bose-glued"-on mesh covering. (Plus, OEM Bose Amp/Comp)
[from an infiniti G37]

Last edited by mRVRsport; Aug 28, 2015 at 10:59 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 04:30 AM
Evolved Member

Well, no worries..
Here's what the Bose "mid" driver looks like under the grill AND all that factory "bose-glued"-on mesh covering. (Plus, OEM Bose Amp/Comp)
[from an infiniti G37]
those really are shallow!

so you have a G37? if so, did you ever replace the factory Bose with other 2ohm speakers like Infinity Kappas?
Old Aug 29, 2015, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

^
Yeah, I know.
It's quite surprising to see just how shallow it really is in person.
Must say BOSE got their engineering down to an art. And, I truly respect the research&development Amar Bose puts into their audio driver designs, at his company.
I'm just Not a fan of their construction techniques..

I had a G37 for about 6 months.

(no, I didn't do anything to that audio system.)
Old Aug 29, 2015, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Must say BOSE got their marketing down to an art.

fixed that.

not a fan of Bose, except for maybe some 901's.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

fixed that.

not a fan of Bose, except for maybe some 901's.
Ha ha..

No seriously. Even if you crack open those 901 and see what they did with what's really there, you have to admit that their electrical engineering was solid.

Actually if you look back to what Amar Bose did as a 20-ish year old kid/student back in his early MIT days (for the military), you'd be stunned by what he was able to accomplish.
That's no marketing BS with that.

Yeah, I agree some of his company's early acoutimass products were hokey (and their Wave Cannon), but they really did have good engineering research behind them to back it up.