Notices

Sound Deadening

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2015, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Sound Deadening

I had an incident few weeks ago. The front passenger side window of my RVR was smashed with a 6 pound rock (by some prank kids) in the parking lot of (ironically) the St. Joseph's Cathedral (one of the major landmarks of Montreal). I scheduled a visit to my dealership and I explicitly warned them ahead of time (they charged me for the glass in advance) that I want the vapor barrier to be restored too and I would make sure if it is done.
Of course when the job was about to be done (30 mins before the service department was to be closed for the day) I was told (with a smiling face of the service manager) that they would need to order a vapor barrier and was supposed to be come back again (or better yet, leave the car for overnight). We are talking about a plastic sheet with black glue on it ($20 item, I warned them to order it for me, and I was willing to pay for it in advance). Long story short, I fired them on the spot for lack of professionalism and ignorance. I only told them to put the door cover back. They even wanted to charge me foe two hours of labor. When I told the that the TSB only calls for one hour of labor they were totally surprised and charged for only one hour (i wanted zero labor originally as they ignored my warning but finally paid one hour). Immediately I ordered materials that are even better to serve as vapor barrier (also as sound deadening material from Ebay, $25).
I managed to install this material for three of the four doors yet (my order was not enough for all four doors).
If you want to know how to do it,here is a video ( it is worth the few bucks/loonies and an hour of time):
Conclusions:
1. Do not expect much from the dealership;
2. For few bucks you may transfer your car to be as quite as the 2016 models.

Last edited by AWCAWD; Nov 9, 2015 at 06:10 AM.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Too bad there is not some sort of spray foam one could apply.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CottageLifer
Too bad there is not some sort of spray foam one could apply.
Yes, it would be nice. However, it would also be difficult to control the thickness in places where movement is needed (e.g. window mechanism). I will do the wheel arches, the hood, and the firewall but will skip the floor (it would just be way too much trouble). Even with the doors the effect is noticeable (e.g. one can barely here the door locks working when standing by the car).
Old Nov 9, 2015, 06:12 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks - I might have to take on this project during the winter. The usual suspects for the deadening material? (Aliexpress, DHGate etc.) or local?
Old Nov 9, 2015, 06:20 AM
Evolved Member

tutorial for tweeter installation

If you do not have the RF sound system here is the tutorial (from the same source as above) for the tweeter installation:
If you have access to ETACS programming, you may have to select "premium sound system" to power the harness (already installed).
Old Nov 9, 2015, 06:23 AM
Evolved Member

Any recommendations for a tweeter?
Old Nov 9, 2015, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CottageLifer
Thanks - I might have to take on this project during the winter. The usual suspects for the deadening material? (Aliexpress, DHGate etc.) or local?
This is what I bought:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/39-x-10-Car-...xUvIhs&vxp=mtr
If you buy multiple items the seller does not cut it (you will receive one sheet).
It is freshly made and a bit smelly (rubber smell) when arrives, so open the bag and leave it in the garage for a week or so until the vulcanization finishes and the smell goes away.