Notices

Oil Change Time Frame?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2015, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Oil Change Time Frame?

I am so confused about when I should be getting my oil changed. Here are the times I have been told:

7 months 7,000 miles (salesman and maintenance minder)

3 months 3,700 miles (owners manual)

4 months 4,000 miles (service adviser)

I got an email from the dealership saying it's been 4 months since I bought it, it was time to come in for an oil change. I have 3,650 miles, so I figured I'd go thinking about what the the owners manual says. Now, my maintenance minder says 9 months 11,000 miles! Is there anyway to reprogram this to a more reasonable interval? This is for a 2015 OS.

Last edited by norrabasil; Dec 2, 2015 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Edited to add car info
Old Dec 2, 2015, 02:42 PM

I changed mine at 3k and then again when the car alerted me to and from now on I'll do it when the car says it's due. But I drive a lot. My 2015 I bought in August and it already has 9200 miles on it !!
Old Dec 2, 2015, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Miles over time, any time. Well, unless it sits forever. WHat degrades oil is combustion gases and they cause acidification (amongst other things) that determine your oil change interval. I do not drive the RVR a lot but drive it a couple times a week. Will likely drive more in summer though. And I'm going on mileage rather than months.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 03:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
check your manual since the car is new lol. now since its new and about at 3k take i would def take it to the dealer, first oil change should be free(good for warranty purposes and that youre in the system) and also get a CVI(computerized vehicle inspection). and from there change at the recommded intervals within the manual. my 13 manual states every 7500k, 7500 1500 22500 etc. i change mine every 5k using full synthetic royal purple though i would never myself go over 5k

Last edited by Nast_Nas; Dec 2, 2015 at 03:07 PM. Reason: new
Old Dec 2, 2015, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

Do whatever the manual says or less to keep your warranty valid. Changing oil too often is a WOM.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 03:59 PM

I do an oil change and tire rotation every 5k miles.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by BMX RACR
I do an oil change and tire rotation every 5k miles.
same, with synthetic. got 1st free at dealer, next ones will be me (unless they send me some coupons i cant refuse, then i'll send my wife to the dealer).
Old Dec 2, 2015, 08:47 PM

All of my oil changes are free through the dealership I bought it from. They also fixed a recall today that I had no idea was even issued.

This is the same car that I bought in August and was in the shop for 4 days, a week after I bought it because I had a bad valve in my CVT. (I had posted asking for help with a shudder). 7k just sounds way too long for my comfort. I think 5k might be a good compromise.

Thanks all!
Old Dec 3, 2015, 05:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
depends on the oil, I use full synthetic that is rated up 12k miles, I typically change it at about 9k mile and the last time I did the oils still looked great, I could have given it a few thousand more miles, so this round I am going to see what 10k looks like, you should also look at getting a magnetic drain plug they are cheap and if there is any metal shavings in the oil it will catch it. It is more of a preventative measure, but it is good to know if there is any real to be concerned.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Datum: Before I sold my POS Caravan I started extending the oil change interval to 10,000 KMs. Even with some top up due to engine leaks the oil looked like tar by the end of the mileage. This was regular dino oil.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by norrabasil
I am so confused about when I should be getting my oil changed. Here are the times I have been told:

7 months 7,000 miles (salesman and maintenance minder)

3 months 3,700 miles (owners manual)

4 months 4,000 miles (service adviser)

I got an email from the dealership saying it's been 4 months since I bought it, it was time to come in for an oil change. I have 3,650 miles, so I figured I'd go thinking about what the the owners manual says. Now, my maintenance minder says 9 months 11,000 miles! Is there anyway to reprogram this to a more reasonable interval? This is for a 2015 OS.
No wonder that you are confused. I was in the same situation three years ago, when my car was new. The answer is more complex than you think. There are two aspects that one should take into account: properly maintaining your car and satisfying the conditions (for not jeopardizing) of your generous powertrain warranty. For the first one people already provided feedback in this thread. As far as the warranty is concerned here is my personal experience.
I wrote to Mitsubishi Canada expressing my concern that the information I gathered are conflicting (just like yours). For us Canadians there is another debate, whether the cold climate constitutes for the "severe" maintenance schedule over the "regular" one by default.
The answer I received was that Mitsubishi Canada does not regulate the schedule, it is the local dealer, who decides (based on location primarily I suspect) how often or after how many kms (miles) you have to go in for oil change. My dealer specified here in Montreal 5 months or 8000 km (5000 miles, whichever comes first) oil change cycle (it is NAS 20 in the ETACS, see below other options for North America). The problem is that you may change dealerships and you may even go to a different state/province where the regulation is different. I know people in the US often refer to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. This does not apply to Canada (as I am told, but I cannot prove either way). Nonetheless, I have the letter from Mitsubishi Canada as a proof of my concern and stating their standing.
You may inquire a similar clarification if you feel it necessary (piece of mind).

Here are the service reminder schedules for North America that can be programmed in the ETACS. You must have one of those set by your dealer in your car and that one must be your required oil change periods to comply with the warranty.

NAS 10: 6 months, 12000 km (7500 miles)
NAS 11: 3 months, 6000 km (3750 miles)
NAS 20: 5 months, 8000 km (5000 miles)
NAS 21: 4 months, 6000 km (3750 miles)

You can check, modify, or turn off the service reminder with a following simple procedure (make sure the hand brake is released and the engine is not running):
1. push the "info" button until you get to the wrench symbol.
2. push and hold the info button for at least one second each for 4 (four times) with gaps of 1/2 a second approximately,
3. While the wrench is flashing press quickly three times the info button (do not hold it this time),
4. One of the codes above should show up (if you are in North America; EU10, EU11, AUS, JPN10, JPN11, OPTION, and OFF are the other possibilities)
5. You may scroll through these options by pushing the info button (again short pushes, do not hold it) and select your option.
6. Push and hold to store your selection into the ETACS.

Last edited by AWCAWD; Dec 3, 2015 at 10:55 AM. Reason: update: how to program your service reminder
Old Dec 3, 2015, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by AWCAWD
No wonder that you are confused. I was in the same situation three years ago, when my car was new. The answer is more complex than you think. There are two aspects that one should take into account: properly maintaining your car and satisfying the conditions (for not jeopardizing) of your generous powertrain warranty. For the first one people already provided feedback in this thread. As far as the warranty is concerned here is my personal experience.
I wrote to Mitsubishi Canada expressing my concern that the information I gathered are conflicting (just like yours). For us Canadians there is another debate, whether the cold climate constitutes for the "severe" maintenance schedule over the "regular" one by default.
The answer I received was that Mitsubishi Canada does not regulate the schedule, it is the local dealer, who decides (based on location primarily I suspect) how often or after how many kms (miles) you have to go in for oil change. My dealer specified here in Montreal 5 months or 8000 km (5000 miles, whichever comes first) oil change cycle (it is NAS 20 in the ETACS, see below other options for North America). The problem is that you may change dealerships and you may even go to a different state/province where the regulation is different. I know people in the US often refer to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. This does not apply to Canada (as I am told, but I cannot prove either way). Nonetheless, I have the letter from Mitsubishi Canada as a proof of my concern and stating their standing.
You may inquire a similar clarification if you feel it necessary (piece of mind).

Here are the service reminder schedules for North America that can be programmed in the ETACS. You must have one of those set by your dealer in your car and that one must be your required oil change periods to comply with the warranty.

NAS 10: 6 months, 12000 km (7500 miles)
NAS 11: 3 months, 6000 km (3750 miles)
NAS 20: 5 months, 8000 km (5000 miles)
NAS 21: 4 months, 6000 km (3750 miles)

You can check, modify, or turn off the service reminder with a following simple procedure (make sure the hand brake is released and the engine is not running):
1. push the "info" button until you get to the wrench symbol.
2. push and hold the info button for at least one second each for 4 (four times) with gaps of 1/2 a second approximately,
3. While the wrench is flashing press quickly three times the info button (do not hold it this time),
4. One of the codes above should show up (if you are in North America; EU10, EU11, AUS, JPN10, JPN11, OPTION, and OFF are the other possibilities)
5. You may scroll through these options by pushing the info button (again short pushes, do not hold it) and select your option.
6. Push and hold to store your selection into the ETACS.
What Mitsubishi told you, (the dealership sets the intervals) struck me. Now I'm wondering if spacing out the oil changes might be due to the dealership giving "free oil changes for life". You think it's such a great deal, but in reality, maybe it's not so much.

I did look up how to change the maintenance minder yesterday and I have played with it twice now. 2 of the 4 NAS choices come up with blanks. I saved it one time like that, thinking maybe it needed to be saved to kick in. No such luck - it screamed at me that I need an oil change. lol So, the only choices I have are the dealers 7/7000 and 5/3900. Strange combo, but I left it on that one. Ideally though, I would really like it on NAS 21, but it's just not there to choose.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

No Mag-Moss Act in Canada but provincial consumer acts and federal Consumer Protection Act do the same thing. BTW, MM really just allows you to use non-Mits products and not invalidate warranty.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
i think 5k on synthetic might be overkill, but thats what i do, considering it sees mostly stop-start city driving. for my wife's OS, thats once a year. 20 minutes and some dirty hands once a year = peace of mind for me.

just use common sense.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, city driving is a killer.

Quick Reply: Oil Change Time Frame?