Notices

Time for a Change

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2016, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Time for a Change

An oil change that is! Except I don't know what oil (synth vs. dino) I have now and whether I should go dino or synthetic. I run out of months before I run out of miles if that matters. Help!
Old Jan 6, 2016, 10:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
what weight oil does the 2011 require ? if it's 0W20 then its always synthetic . If it's anything else then its really up to you and if your changing every 3000 miles I'd say use conventional oil . Also synthetic oil seems to leak easier then conventional oils . More so on older engines .
Old Jan 7, 2016, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2011 RVR GT and it came with Synthetic. I would stay with Synthetic if it came to it, some engines don't take the change very well. not to mention using synthetic mean you have a longer service cycle then using conventional oil. If you are in a cold climate like me synthetic is better on the engine in the old weather as it isn't effected as much by the cold temperature on a cold start. i have 2 cars both with synthetic and non of them have ever leaked oil, if you maintain the vehicle properly you will never leak.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
i was surprised to find the OS takes synthetic when we bought it - that is usually only required by turbo/performance engines, neither of which the OS is.

probably to justify the long warranty.

i use synthetic anyway, to get some extra time between changes. i don't usually use the manufacturer's schedule (what is the OS schedule - 7500 miles?) i usually do 4000-5000.

some people go insane with oil analysis, comparing and arguing over different brands, changing every 2000 miles, etc., but if you just change it regularly with a decent brand (not Dollar Store oil) at a reasonable mileage/time, you'll be fine.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Change

I just got my first oil change since buying my '11 OS. I opted for regular oil and now my car FREAKS out between 3000 and 3500 RPM no matter what gear. I'm thinking I should change it back to Synthetic, though I'm unsure what it had in it when I bought it... Any thoughts?
Old Jan 7, 2016, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Macks
I just got my first oil change since buying my '11 OS. I opted for regular oil and now my car FREAKS out between 3000 and 3500 RPM no matter what gear. I'm thinking I should change it back to Synthetic, though I'm unsure what it had in it when I bought it... Any thoughts?
Here you go >
(Scroll down to "oil" in the post#1)
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ou...t-asx-rvr.html

Also, if you're getting shift problems then it's probably your CVT. How many miles on ODO?

May be time to get a trans oil refresh. I know there are a few threads on this topic - Do a search for CVT schedule / problems.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

My manual says 0-20 which is synth. I will double check with the dealer but probably go that route.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Dealer recommends synth (of course) Cost is about $65 US for a change and filter. For fun I priced the DIY cost - about half for the parts (assuming one has the drain pan, wrench etc.)
Old Jan 8, 2016, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by CottageLifer
Dealer recommends synth (of course) Cost is about $65 US for a change and filter. For fun I priced the DIY cost - about half for the parts (assuming one has the drain pan, wrench etc.)
parts are a one time cost. optional items include a cheap tarp and box of rubber gloves from Harbor Freight (less mess).
Old Jan 8, 2016, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by CottageLifer
Doing it yourself is much more satisfying, especially on something this easy. Get to few simply tools and parts is worth it. Plus the vehicle is high enough to not even need a floor jack to reach the filter and drain plug.