Notices

30k service...some questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2016, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
30k service...some questions

I recently had my 30k type C service done along with my low RPM stuttering recall.

Before I got my RVR back I received the dreaded "we have some recommendations for you" call.

Basically I was told that I should get a Brake Fluid flush and Transmission fluid flush as these are getting dirty.

Since I was already doing my type C service ($280.00 CDN) I told them to hold off until next time. If I went ahead with the other 2 options I would have been in excess of $550.00.

I'm just wondering if these type of "flushes" are normal at 30k? Does everyone do these? Are they recommended?

Any past experience would help.

Thanks
Old Mar 28, 2016, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by rotterdam
I recently had my 30k type C service done along with my low RPM stuttering recall.

Before I got my RVR back I received the dreaded "we have some recommendations for you" call.

Basically I was told that I should get a Brake Fluid flush and Transmission fluid flush as these are getting dirty.

Since I was already doing my type C service ($280.00 CDN) I told them to hold off until next time. If I went ahead with the other 2 options I would have been in excess of $550.00.

I'm just wondering if these type of "flushes" are normal at 30k? Does everyone do these? Are they recommended?

Any past experience would help.

Thanks
I did not get such recommendations. For our friends in the US let us clarify that this was 30,000 km service (19,000 miles), was it?
Unfortunately Mitsubishi Canada transfers the right to the dealers to set what jobs are need to be done. We have discussed this issue extensively before in another thread.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by rotterdam
my money says no one ever even looked that those fluids to see if they were dirty or not - these are standard maintenance recommendations.

you should do brake fluid every two years or so - its hygroscopic and absorbs water.

trans fluid seems a little early, but this is my first CVT, so ....
differential fluid and transfer case fluid should also be done at some point, but those are easier than oil changes, so DIY if possible.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 08:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'd say that's way too early for the tranny fluid. I have the manual tranny on my RVR so I don't know much about the Mitsu CVT fluid longevity, but I have a 2003 Nissan Murano as my 2nd car that my wife uses. The Nissan CVT fluid is rated to 150,000kms. A lot of guys were actually having tranny issues after changing the factory fluid on the Murano forum many years ago, so I decided never to change it, 13 years same fluid and my CVT is perfectly smooth and my CVT fluid is still that clearish/green color. I'll honestly never change it on that car.

I did find this pic for reference.
Attached Thumbnails 30k service...some questions-cvt_vials.jpg  
Old Apr 1, 2016, 10:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I skipped the 30k, just had it done at 40k instead. With moving and buying a house and such, maintenance was the last on my list surprisingly, lol.

The dealership I took mine to checked the trans fluid, said it was fine. They said they normally don't do a trans flush on the OS's until around 70-80k miles.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
30k service

I live in northern virginia which already puts me in the severe use category for vehicle maintenance. Its been a year since i got my 2015 rvr and im already closing in on 25k
i plan on flushing my tranny at 30k (atleast because mines a manual and i want to keep everything up to date with what the user manual says) and i believe im flushing my brake fluid too. id have to double check with the manual.

usually i dont listen to what the dealers say, ill go by my own visual inspection or by exactly what the manual says. Its listed clearly towards the back of the big book