Notices

Audio help please

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audio help please

Hi guys I had my OS for about 3 months and the audio sounds terrible. I wanted to replace the system and wanted some advice. What size are the speakers and what size is the main screen? Here is a photo of my unit.

I was thinking about the Kenwood DDX373BT? HERE. What do you guys think? Should I spend more to get something a little better? Basically I want to use my system to mirror my phone while i use google maps or play videos. Also any speakers where i can just drop in without doing custom work to make them fit or are they speakers good enough to keep with a new system? I also have my steering wheel console control. Thanks again for the advice.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 11:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
The speakers are 6.5. You would need a dash kit for any rsdio you install in there. It still used the factory double din housing. Look up metra. That radio will not mirror your phone. If that's what you're looking for look into the android/Apple car play double din/, those wil mirror your phone. You will also need the harness which metra sells as well. And if you want to keep your factory steering controls you need the metra axxcess Aswc-1

http://www.metraonline.com/vfgapi/vehicle/207245?

No 6.5 speaker will just drop in, crutch field has the necessary brackets and harnesses to fit so you won't have to mess with the factory speaker wires
Old Jul 3, 2016, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Nast_Nas
The speakers are 6.5. You would need a dash kit for any rsdio you install in there. It still used the factory double din housing. Look up metra. That radio will not mirror your phone. If that's what you're looking for look into the android/Apple car play double din/, those wil mirror your phone. You will also need the harness which metra sells as well. And if you want to keep your factory steering controls you need the metra axxcess Aswc-1

http://www.metraonline.com/vfgapi/vehicle/207245?

No 6.5 speaker will just drop in, crutch field has the necessary brackets and harnesses to fit so you won't have to mess with the factory speaker wires
Thanks for the tips, are there videos for installing the front and back speakers? also can i mix match the front and back speakers? I'm trying to buy everything from amazon but can not find any speaker wiring harness for the front and back speakers.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 04:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by fujirio
I was thinking about the Kenwood DDX373BT? HERE. What do you guys think? Should I spend more to get something a little better? Basically I want to use my system to mirror my phone while i use google maps or play videos.

that unit will only play music from an Android phone, not mirror it.
you want an Android Auto-compatible receiver for mirroring and using navigation.
The following users liked this post:
fujirio (Jul 5, 2016)
Old Jul 4, 2016, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Landshark
that unit will only play music from an Android phone, not mirror it.
you want an Android Auto-compatible receiver for mirroring and using navigation.
Thanks, I figured those units would cost some $$ so i just went with PioneerAVH-X4800BS. Hopefully pairing it up with some Infinity Here and some Sony's will give me better sound then the stock. Every day I listen to music in my car is just so bland. I also bought the MicroBypass, Metra Axxess ASWC-1 Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface, Metra 95-7015CHG, and the PAC SWI-RC Steering Wheel Control Interface. Am i forgetting any thing else? Is it worth it to get sound padding behind the speakers? will this make a difference in sound? I have bestbuy install all this on friday.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 04:22 AM
Evolved Member

you could have just started with the head unit - that is the culprit for most bad factory audio.

you can go crazy with Dynamat, amplifiers, audio processors - its really up to your ears ... and wallet.
fujirio (Jul 5, 2016)
Old Jul 5, 2016, 04:39 AM
Evolving Member

The metra axxess steering wheel interface is what you want. You also bought the lax steering wheel interface. They are the same thing. You only need one interface not 2. I would return the pac. Did you also get the radio wiring harness? I see you did not list that
fujirio (Jul 5, 2016)
Old Jul 5, 2016, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
If you are pulling the panels I would Dynamat (or equivalent) the heck out of it.
fujirio (Jul 5, 2016)
Old Jul 5, 2016, 07:58 AM

The metra axxess steering wheel interface is what you want. You also bought the lax steering wheel interface. They are the same thing. You only need one interface not 2. I would return the pac. Did you also get the radio wiring harness? I see you did not list that

I could not locate that on amazon, do you think best buy would have it since they are going to install it on my car? My appointment is on Friday. Also thanks for pointing out the steering wheel interface, I know nothing about audio so that saves me some cash.

Last edited by fujirio; Jul 5, 2016 at 08:04 AM.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Landshark
you could have just started with the head unit - that is the culprit for most bad factory audio.

you can go crazy with Dynamat, amplifiers, audio processors - its really up to your ears ... and wallet.

do you know what speakers are currently in the stocked outlander? If they are great i will just send back the speakers I bought.

Last edited by fujirio; Jul 5, 2016 at 08:05 AM.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 08:25 AM
Evolving Member

besy buy will not mostly like have the wiring harness in stock, you have to ask because if you set an appointment and they dont have it theyre going to have to order it and wait for it to come it. the harness you need is 70-7005 it was in the link i gave you "it say mitsubishi harness on it"
fujirio (Jul 5, 2016)
Old Jul 5, 2016, 08:26 AM
Evolving Member

the stock speakers are "ok" but aftermarket is good as well. installing the aftermarket headunit will change the sound/quality of the stocks. so just keeo the stocks for now and once you put the radio in and still dont like it then order speakers. oh i see your brought speakers lol missed that. just keep them or install radio first and then go from there
fujirio (Jul 5, 2016)
Old Jul 5, 2016, 10:14 AM

besy buy will not mostly like have the wiring harness in stock, you have to ask because if you set an appointment and they dont have it theyre going to have to order it and wait for it to come it. the harness you need is 70-7005 it was in the link i gave you "it say mitsubishi harness on it"
I'll give them a call, also crutchfield said I need Metra 71-035LC Speaker Wiring Harnesses
is this true? I can not locate the item any where besides crutchfield.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 10:39 AM

Thanks, I ordered the Metra 70-7005 from amazon. Great find, I called best buy and they said they do not have the part so I am super excited that you reminded me about it. Thank you so much

also the Metra 95-7015CHG would not work with my car so I had to order the Metra 95-7018Chg from crutchfield.

Last edited by fujirio; Jul 5, 2016 at 11:02 AM.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fujirio
do you know what speakers are currently in the stocked outlander? If they are great i will just send back the speakers I bought.
no, but they may be OK with a new headunit.

if not, most people just replace the fronts - not much need to replace all - unless you often have audiophiles in the backseat.