EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   ECU Flash (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ecu-flash-179/)
-   -   Patch how-to: manifold air temperature logging (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ecu-flash/341606-patch-how-manifold-air-temperature-logging.html)

Jack_of_Trades Nov 12, 2008 05:36 AM

well...the sooner the bettwer for me. I'd like to start data testing my stock fmic vs. the greddy fmic before winter hits us with full force if I could. Did throttle body injection cars have the mat's?

gear head Nov 12, 2008 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by mrfred (Post 6339168)
I'm wondering if its worth my time to write a standalone patch because tephra will be including a MAT logging algorithm in his speed density patch.

Sweet, thats even better!

It would be kinda nice if there was a seperate patch if people didn't want to use the speed density.

MR Turco Nov 12, 2008 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Jack_of_Trades (Post 6339926)
Did throttle body injection cars have the mat's?

throttle body injection? Is this 1 injector in the TB like a late model carburetor?

Jack_of_Trades Nov 12, 2008 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by MR Turco (Post 6340148)
throttle body injection? Is this 1 injector in the TB like a late model carburetor?

Yeah, single or dual injextors in the throttle body assembly. GM used it a lot up until the mid 90's.

MR Turco Nov 12, 2008 09:36 AM

gotcha, you trying to see if the Alchy jets are going to screw up your reading (or the sensor)?

tephra Nov 12, 2008 02:48 PM

Well I got my IAT/CAT/MAT sensor going in next week, so after that I will be experimenting with it.

Jack_of_Trades Nov 12, 2008 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by MR Turco (Post 6340672)
gotcha, you trying to see if the Alchy jets are going to screw up your reading (or the sensor)?

My sensor is in the UICP about 4" behind my alky nozzles. The original intent was to monitor my intercooling efficiency but I may install it in the IM later on whenever the speed density stuff is all tested and tweaked.

scheides Nov 17, 2008 10:46 AM

I had the head off this weekend so tapped that extra bung on the intake manifold for 3/8 NTP while it was out. Let me tell you it was not fun finding the stuff to do it!

I ended up going with a 17/32 drill bit (was looking for 19/32) that was $21 at ACE and got the 3/8 NTP tap at Fleet Farm (they had one at ace, but I had already bought it) for about $7. Then, just a regular 3/8 plug from the plumbing section and I was in good shape!

Also, ordered my GM IAT sensor today from BMotorsports.com, $21+ shipping.....they have lots of different plug options too, very informative site!

mrfred Nov 17, 2008 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by scheides (Post 6359449)
I had the head off this weekend so tapped that extra bung on the intake manifold for 3/8 NTP while it was out. Let me tell you it was not fun finding the stuff to do it!

I ended up going with a 17/32 drill bit (was looking for 19/32) that was $21 at ACE and got the 3/8 NTP tap at Fleet Farm (they had one at ace, but I had already bought it) for about $7. Then, just a regular 3/8 plug from the plumbing section and I was in good shape!

Also, ordered my GM IAT sensor today from BMotorsports.com, $21+ shipping.....they have lots of different plug options too, very informative site!

As soon as I work out better names for the idle maps that gunzo found, I'll work on this.

tephra Nov 17, 2008 10:36 PM

Got my MAT sensor tapped in today.

Hopefully I will have time for wiring on the weekend.

Then I will write the patch into my TephraMod stuff.

MrFred - can you disable the fuel temp test with a Periphery bit? Thats my prefered option, disable it then redo the scaling and stuff in my code...

mrfred Nov 18, 2008 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by tephra (Post 6362310)
Got my MAT sensor tapped in today.

Hopefully I will have time for wiring on the weekend.

Then I will write the patch into my TephraMod stuff.

MrFred - can you disable the fuel temp test with a Periphery bit? Thats my prefered option, disable it then redo the scaling and stuff in my code...

I'll check it out.

Kracka Nov 18, 2008 07:19 PM

Can't wait to get this working on my car!

tephra Nov 19, 2008 02:51 AM

MrFred regarding the wiring for the IAT - is it better to wire to signal ground OR engine block.

Obviously this should make *too* much difference - however the ECU wiring guide says to use the "common" sensor ground.

Thoughts?

mrfred Nov 19, 2008 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by tephra (Post 6367046)
MrFred regarding the wiring for the IAT - is it better to wire to signal ground OR engine block.

Obviously this should make *too* much difference - however the ECU wiring guide says to use the "common" sensor ground.

Thoughts?

Ground location is not critical for a thermisistor type sensor because the minimum resistance of the sensor (~50 ohms) is still much higher than any resistance induced by a non-optimal ground location. The resistance of the sensor in normal temperature ranges is between ~500 ohms (150F/65C) and ~50000 ohms (-20F/-28C). I grounded mine to the IM which is a pretty decent location because there is a ground strap that goes between the IM and a ground point on the firewall.

joedr Nov 23, 2008 09:21 AM

Wired mine up today and it is working fine!

I will post findings on the BR Race Core very soon.... well... as soon as I get to the dyno. jeje!