EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   FYI California Crackdown on Modified Cars (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/153895-fyi-california-crackdown-modified-cars.html)

Mercenary3 Aug 15, 2005 03:10 PM

Come to detroit. We have no pollution inspection, and the cops applaud cool modified cars. Street racing is another story, but you could drive an 8 second full drag car with a chute and wheelie bars as a daily driver here if you wanted to. I guess thats the motor city for ya...

Eckstant Aug 15, 2005 03:41 PM

That's why I will never live in Cali.

metaphysical Aug 15, 2005 07:18 PM

The idea is to spend 5 million and get 10 million in returns to spend on that other "stuff."

Az3ar Aug 15, 2005 08:34 PM

The problem is that I lived and been to many places in the US and all I found is:

NoVA (Washington DC Area)
SF bay area
LA Area

Everything else was pure garbage starting from Miami ending with Chicago. I would simply not live there and will never ever think about it. I own my business and I can't even see it surviving in some small city with cows on my left and right side.

I have no choice but to live in these areas to make money and live happy. Now racing on the streets is becoming super stupid, as the streets are just not fun to race on. Once you hit the track couple times you will know what I mean.

Blue Evo 8 Aug 15, 2005 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by bdking57
I will take california over virginia anyday.. for all those people who are *****ing about the "crack down"..gimme a break, if its a crack down its only cause they let everything go now. Exceeding 80mph in virginia is a FELONY! yep.. im a two time felon in virginia... speed traps all over the place and radar detectors are illegal. My first speeding ticket in virginia was just under $1000.. the second one cost me $500 both were on major interstates on long drives with no other cars in sight.

I've driven with my radar detector on my old SRT4 at night on VA roads though...
I havent run into any cops though...

rezo Aug 16, 2005 01:50 AM

Old news to me... I got pulled over by a drag-net detective early last year in my old car (turboed integ, its for sale btw if anyone is in the market lol). it sucked because he actually knew what everything was under the hood :/ and he was teaching 2 other cops what was legal and what wasn't lol

but i mean, cmon... they have to have better things to do than give a ticket for a "loud exhaust" (i didnt do anything that modified the exhaust sound and it passed btw) and a vent to air blowoff valve (didnt even know those were illegal at the time) to someone who definitely does not fit the part of a dangerous criminal (4.2gpa & i was wearing my varsity jacket at the time...)

but i digress... unless you go to big organized street races you wont feel the heat of dragnet until they start becoming successful (at the time i was pulled over, street racing was down 90% in san diego)... then they will get bored and do stupid stuff like what happened to me :/ enjoy, caliFORnIa

rezo Aug 16, 2005 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by twinevo
this is what my friends in cali call the DWA law...Driving While Asian

i thought the official name was DWO? (driving while oriental) lol...

but from my experiences, i havent seen any discrimination against asian people with the modified car law... if you have a huge wing and loud exhaust, cops will pull you over without even peeking at whos driving

TwoMix9900 Aug 16, 2005 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by Ÿêõ
Police in Sacramento, California announced last Wednesday that they would use $5 million in federal money to begin cracking down on auto enthusiasts who modify their vehicles. The money will be used to form an undercover "Drag-Net" unit to stop motorists who appear to be driving modified cars.

The concept, which originated in San Diego in 2001, has been spreading throughout the state and generated significant revenue for the California Highway Patrol and local departments. In Santa Fe Springs, for example, twelve officers on Drag-Net duty issued 300 citations and impounded 50 vehicles in just one weekend. Several cities have drag-racing ordinances that allow police to auction off seized cars and keep the profits.

Under Drag-Net, San Diego officers come to train other departments how to look out for what they believe to be tell-tale signs of illegal modification such as window tinting, large spoilers, extra gauges or racing stickers. Police say this gives them probable cause to stop and inspect a vehicle and its engine compartment.

In practice, "excessive exaust noise" tickets are the most common violation. California law does not require police to measure sound levels objectively. Instead, according to the California Highway Patrol, the "citation is based on officer's judgment."

Drivers of stock vehicles that come from the factory with some of the characteristics of modified cars have experienced harassment under this provision. One such motorist complained on an enthusiast website that the Calfiornia Highway Patrol was using these programs to make "driving while Asian" a crime, pointing out that the department's own website has several pages dedicated to Asian involvement in street racing and "vehicle modification."

Those receiving a vehicle modification "fix-it" ticket must visit a California Bureau of Automobile Repair office and pay a $35 fee to have their car inspected. If the car fails, a judge can impose another fine of up to $2000 for failing to meet California emissions requirements.

life goes on; if you dont like it, get the hell out of cali b/c gov. doesnt give a rat's ass if you complain about ricing out your car & getting caught & fined for it

EVIL VIII Aug 16, 2005 03:08 AM

I've vented about this too...in Arizona, more children drown in pools and more drug related crimes take place than street racing...most people actually do go to public racing events. But neither of these problems are being solved because the local "authorities" feel its more important to stop those who drive modified cars...its stupid. Kinda rediculous to even own a performance car anymore. Can't race it legally cause all the manufacturer's void your warranty...can't even drive my damn car to work without being harrassed by the local red and blues, but the a$$-hat going through his mid-life crisis in his Ford Excursion Desiel yacking on his wireless phone weaving from lane to lane with the 45 inch tires and truck-a-saurus lift kit trailering his quads flies past the same cops and they look the over way...

alicea8541 Aug 17, 2005 06:31 PM

I like to visit Cali but definitely would not live there. So many damn rules and everything is so expensive. I'm surprised they allow gas powered cars these days.

Boeturbolancer Aug 17, 2005 08:12 PM

I got pulled over by the nazi's... the guy was cool. Got me for no front license plate. I've got a 1G pile :lol:

Anyway... saw the frontmount. Popped the hood, got the VTA, asked a bunch of questions, got on the ground... spotted the HFC cat. Was about to hit me on my exhaust tone... when i asked him to check the decibel level. He stated he couldn't but didn't have to. I said i know you don't have to but you gotta agree it's super quiet compared to most honda's. He laughed.

Asked about the HFC... told him its a magnaflow cali-legal and my old cat was bad. He asked how i knew. Failed the smog... it's on record. Got outa that... talked about front mount and hard piping. Told him that nothing there does anything illegal as there is an intercooler on the side normally. I just made the setup more efficient. He agreed. {OMG}

The VTA... well that he was about to get me on... then he said just recirc it so that i don't get harrassed later?? What... letting me off on that. Talked about the rest of the car and noticed 192k on the odometer... their all original miles... stock original motor. He laughed in disbelief. It's true! Ended up giving me the fix it ticket for the no license plate...

Oh well... went down on my lunch... got it signed off... took it back off! Got really lucky but then again i've got an OBD-1 car that isn't as strictly regulated... kept things so it still passes the smog test... and he totally missed the catchcan. Guess i'm more lucky to have picked that car to play with over others.

Boeturbolancer Aug 17, 2005 08:14 PM

Thinking about that really makes me happy i didn't get the evo... but then again... i want it still!! :lol:

mooreboost Aug 17, 2005 08:17 PM

Ive been pulled over twice in my catless Evo without a hitch.

Living in FL pays off when it comes to this.