EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Project Cars / Build Threads (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/project-cars-build-threads-344/)
-   -   doncarbone's '03 OZ Rally -> '06 Ralliart engine swap (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/project-cars-build-threads/651433-doncarbones-03-oz-rally-06-ralliart-engine-swap.html)

doncarbone Oct 4, 2013 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by aggieEVO (Post 10977573)
I was a little skeptical when I was reading this, but it's turned out really nice. Good work.

Thanks man. To be honest in the beginning I had my doubts as well. The car I started with had a lot of kilometers (almost 300,000) on it and there was no telling the used motor i purchased was going to run...but in the end it turned out great, I'm really happy with how the car handles. It's a night and day difference from what it was. Can't wait for boost.

Bhsj13 Oct 4, 2013 04:03 PM

I think you are doing good. I know road race motorsports sells a turbo kit for your engine.
you should check it out.

doncarbone Oct 4, 2013 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Bhsj13 (Post 10978494)
I think you are doing good. I know road race motorsports sells a turbo kit for your engine.
you should check it out.

thank you. not going with the RRM turbo kit for this build actually, going the custom route. i was advised to go with a slightly bigger turbocharager for my motor as some believe the 16G that RRM uses is a bit on the small size, not to mention their need for a 5th fuel injector which is a little quirky.

the build, although not 100% confirmed, will look something like this:

- garrett gt3076r turbo (ceramic housing, vclamp)
- tial wastegate
- tial bov
- custom (local) manifold, downpipe, intercooler piping fabrication (JBDR)
- vibrant performance intercooler purchased
- 440cc wrx injectors *
- walbro 255lph purchased *
- tune by hackish

motor mods:

- cosworth head studs purchased
- cosworth main crankshaft bearings purchased
- wisesco forged pistons (87.5mm oversized)
- manley I beam 7-bolt rods purchased
- built head stage (will be custom)

EDIT: * added some items to the list

manolo2011 Oct 31, 2013 09:23 PM

i haven been more impressed in my life than today... well done sir... greaet job... just wow

doncarbone Nov 1, 2013 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by manolo2011 (Post 11007450)
i haven been more impressed in my life than today... well done sir... greaet job... just wow

haha wow thanks man appreciate the kind words

doncarbone Dec 3, 2013 08:46 PM

should i make a new thread for the turbo project or just keep going on this one. im going to take this 4G69 pretty far...prob won't set any records but it'll be a fast fwd car

doncarbone Dec 7, 2013 01:06 PM

I'm going to just keep adding to this thread for the turbo build and possible AWD down the way.

UPDATE, December 7, 2013: I've taken my car off the road for the winter and i'll be wasting no time getting all the parts i'll need for this turbo so this time around i have a longer summer of driving. With the motor swap last year, we were tieing up loose ends into July/August which gave me only 2 or so months of good driving. The biggest setback was ordering OE parts and our general oversights where we anticipated being able to use 4G94/oz rally parts, but instead discovered we'd need the 4G69/ralliart equivalent. Labour-wise the project didn't take long at all, it was just a lot of waiting for parts to ship and a few slip-ups by some retailers who sent me the wrong parts (*cough* *cough* Clutchmasters).

My goal for this project is to have the motor rebuilt and the turbo system completely installed by April, 2014. This gives me about 4 to 4.5 months. It might be a bit ambitious but in all likelihood i'll be finished well before the relative completion time of the motor swap project last year.

Here's a compiled list of all the parts going into the engine rebuild:

Manley I-beam turbo-tuff 4G63 conrods purchased
Cosworth 4G63 head studs purchased
RPW HKS stage 2 camshaft
RPW cam gear
Wiseco custom forged pistons 8.8:1 compression
Cosworth main bearings & rod bearings
RRM performance head gasket
Supertech or Ferrea heavier/stronger valve springs (might need to go custom)

The cylinder head I've decided will be rebuilt by an experienced local machinist. I feel it's too pricey with where I live to send out my stock head to RRM and have to pay the import fees as the parts cross the border. I racked up some heavy import charges last time around with all the parts I bought from the US. I'm going to try to keep those down this year. I've found a few small performance parts retailers in Canada that specialize in certain areas. They are difficult to find, though, and most of them have a poor online presence compared to the American ones.

Going forward, this is my current parts list for the turbo system:

GTX2867R with 0.86 AR exhaust, 3" inlet, 2" outlet
Custom fabricated manifold and down-pipe (steel tubes, equal length/cross-overs with external wastegate)
Vibrant Performance Intercooler purchased
TiAL mvs wastegate
TiAL Q bov
RPW fuel rail
Omni Power 3-bar MAP sensor
440cc WRX injectors or 650cc WRX DeatschWerks
Walbro 255lph fuel pump purchased

I've mentioned on this thread using the Garrett GT3076R. I've opted to use the GTX2867R instead as it will spool a bit faster and isn't quite as overkill given my goal of 350whp to the front-wheels (the 3076R is rated for as high as 600hp or something). Later if I pursue a 4G69 AWD swap, I'll just up the boost a bit on the GTX28 - still lots of potential for more horsepower!

Hackish will be tuning this system remotely once everything is installed. Initially we'll see what 10psi does. I'm not too concerned about the motor. People on here like mitsuorder have already proven the 4G69's worth, but with only two wheels on the front, I'm a bit concerned about the handling.

I'll try to keep this updated as I go. I'm setting budgets for myself each month to make sure I can get all the parts on time.

dcdirtrider Dec 10, 2013 08:57 AM

Interesting choice of starting vehicle. Strokes for different folks, looks good though!

doncarbone Dec 10, 2013 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by dcdirtrider (Post 11047844)
Interesting choice of starting vehicle. Strokes for different folks, looks good though!

was my sister's car my parents bought for her. she ended up moving away for university so we were left the car. i bought it back and decided to rebuild it... if i could do it over i might have picked up a ralliart in the beginning probably.. but the swap was fun and i learned a lot. turned out good in the end!

doncarbone Dec 10, 2013 11:14 AM

4 Attachment(s)
UPDATE, December 10, 2013: so today i purchased this..............

Attachment 332875

Attachment 332876

Attachment 332877

2006 Outlander LS 5spd AWD w/ 22,000km. having it delivered end of the month/early Jan. we'll take from it everything we need to do an awd swap then send it back again to the auto recycler

new pic sent over of engine compartment:

Attachment 332878

doncarbone Dec 10, 2013 08:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
in the meantime while i sort out getting this junkpile to the shop from a good 500km away, i'll continue getting all the engine internals and turbo parts for the turbo project which will follow the awd conversion.

the goal is to have everything done in april/early may (this includes the turbo) so i can drive the car lots in the summer/fall. will be a busy winter of hard work to make sure this happens but i'm determined.

these arrived this week which gave me an inspiration buff to keep working hard and save more money

Attachment 332871

manley turbo tuff i-beam rods, standard size. they are pretty heavy, but strong as hell. probably the nicest conrods i've seen personally

Attachment 332872

cosworth head studs

bakuro117 Dec 10, 2013 08:30 PM

Good luck on that AWD swap. I was hoping to pickup where diavlo left off on that project some day. It will be a while before I get there though. Cant wait to see what you pull off!

doncarbone Dec 10, 2013 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by bakuro117 (Post 11048552)
Good luck on that AWD swap. I was hoping to pickup where diavlo left off on that project some day. It will be a while before I get there though. Cant wait to see what you pull off!

ya Diavlo did some very thorough research and made it sound easy. it's too bad his car was stolen. we won't know until i'm deep into this project whether that rear crossmember/rear diff setup is going to be a nightmare or not. has anyone else completed this swap that we know of?

in canada the 5spd awd outlander isn't too hard to find actually. there are quite a few outlanders on the road. i see them every day. two auto recyclers in my province that i've dealt with before had this particular vehicle - i just went with the one with less kilometers...but those aftermarket tail-lights make me a bit nervous...... :crap:

CrAnSwIcK Dec 10, 2013 08:51 PM

I would have also liked to do that swap, but I don't really have the facility yet...until I build a big ass shed (money) to keep the mower and junk. I also would need to still have my lancer ES, as a daily, but I needed the money after buying the mazda 5 (payments) and I just bought a 25ft sail boat, lol...which is why I had to sell the ES. Vicious cycle.

Unforseen repairs are one thing, but that's based on part delivery, local, in-stock, shipped, imported etc, plus time in for the work, but I can't just have her down for an undetermined amount of time to pull something like this off..So I'm really stoked someone is going to give it a go. You could even make copies of any custom parts you make, and even if they are weld-on, take measurements and pictures, do a write-up for placement, and sell "partial" conversion kits. How many 5speed 4cyl outlanders were made? you could possibly makesome money back on your efforts, if the price was reasonable. I can pull part numbers, but that will be OEM priced...salvage is the way to go...it won't be as simple as a 1g or 2g AWD swap, but if you take fabrication out of the equation, it becomes much more viable for some people.

can't wait man.

Bhsj13 Dec 12, 2013 11:58 AM

Will be following this more. You have done a great job so far. Keep it up! I believe the GTX28 will suit your needs as it will spool nicely enough for street driving. Keep updates coming.