Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

IX RS Build

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2008, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is insane 400whp at 21psi I made that at 28psi.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 07:22 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by crcain
Photo looks awesome.

What is the latest problem? What was the resolution of the pushing coolant problems? Sucks that these build threads keep the interesting stuff quiet.

Why is it again you are running the stock exhaust manifold currently?

Brian is still on the stock 9Turbo, he's going with the FP Red and the big EPM Manifold when he gets through base tuning. Looks like they are working through the bugs/issues, but we know that AWD will get them resolved. The Coolant issue was related I believe to the electric waterpump. Such a thorough build like this requires some test and Tune fo sho.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Since it was asked again and I want to make sure that it is clear......the coolant issue was NOT the engine or head.

Mike found a problem in the wiring harness that was not allowing the electric pump to run when the car was running. So with the car off the pump would run and all seemed fine, as soon as the car was running the pump would not cycle coolant causing the car to overheat.

Nothing is being hidden in this build or the troubles that have/will be encountered. The problem a few days ago was a diagnosis was offered (about the cylinder head) that wasn't proven to be factual and that information was then edited out of this thread by my request, since it was not proven yet. As I had hoped, it turned out it was incorrect and it was a simple wiring problem.

Also, Mike did address this and say what the problem was on page 26, some of you must have missed it.

Thanks and I sure am glad to see the car running now and the overheating problem solved! Great job to all involved.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 09:29 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As Dave said above.. We missed the issue with the waterpump turning off while car was on.. It appeared to be cycling water and may have initially when we started the car but at some point it started not turning on while the car was running.. you cant hear or feel the pump running while the car is on but with the meter on it we figured out the issue of it turning off.. The Motor is solid obviously if it made 400hp @ 21psi with only 1-2 pulls..

The new issue is the clutch.. Before we go and destroy a 4500.00 clutch we are going to pull it apart and inspect it as we didnt do the install and want to be 100% sure we dont hurt something by rushing to tune it all out..

Mike
Old Dec 3, 2008, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
car sounds like a beast in that video...can't wait to see at 30 psi...bad*ss....
Old Dec 3, 2008, 11:40 AM
Account Disabled

i dono if its been said before but what gas is in the car right now? E-85?
Old Dec 3, 2008, 11:45 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Shacochis06
i dono if its been said before but what gas is in the car right now? E-85?
E-85 is what the car will be on no matter the turbo setup..
Old Dec 3, 2008, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
All questions have been answered correctly and yes it was the electric water pump. All things made it look as if it was the head, but it wasn't With the vibration of the car it looked as if water was cycling and with the key just turned on it cycled. Kind of tricky New issue seems to be in the clutch area. The car has lots of power for only 20 psi. I am certain there are good things to come. I couldn't ask for a better group of people for support. Buschur, AWDMOTORSPORTS, Crispeed tuning, etc

I will be converting back to a full size battery also.

Spark Tech- Ignition is working perfect and looks great.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Oh yeah, this is on the stock turbo(no ported hotside) and E85. Those 400 whp runs were with minimal tuning. First pass was 394 I believe. The set up is already starting to impress and we are just getting started. Just gotta kick out the gremlins who have made it there home for the past 4 dormant months LOL...
Old Dec 3, 2008, 01:42 PM
Account Disabled

why are you going back to a full sized battery?
Old Dec 3, 2008, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

Brian your car has a nasty sounding growl... I cant wait to see what she can do...
Old Dec 4, 2008, 05:03 AM

Can't wait to some more pulls once the clutch is sorted.

A friend of mine had a similar problem like yours with the pump, except it was with his fans. The fans would not run with the engine running but would run when it wasnt. Not 100% sure what it was but he and yourself seemed to have got it sorted i do believe it was in the wireing. (it was an altezza with a 2JZ or 1JZ not sure, Big turbo, and MicroTech)

Anyways hungry for somemore video i wanna hear and see the car tear up some wicked times.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jayIII
Can't wait to some more pulls once the clutch is sorted.

A friend of mine had a similar problem like yours with the pump, except it was with his fans. The fans would not run with the engine running but would run when it wasnt. Not 100% sure what it was but he and yourself seemed to have got it sorted i do believe it was in the wireing. (it was an altezza with a 2JZ or 1JZ not sure, Big turbo, and MicroTech)

Anyways hungry for somemore video i wanna hear and see the car tear up some wicked times.
Yeah thats all sorted out. A bit tricky, but the crew found it. If the fan runs non stop the car never even gets warm LOL... The AEM is now running everything courtesy of Crispeed.

Update: We will resume testing end of next week. I will be loading the car up tomorrow to take it to the Wynn's/Jestr event on Sunday. It will be on display only. Sorry But we have discovered new things of importance and this build needs to be perfect. When the Trans/tc comes out early next week the acd will also be removed as will the sway bars. I will also be doing a removable steering wheel. I want to run a full size battery for the electronics and need to offset the additional weight. Mike and the AWD crew have lots of work and he has been nice enough to donate his time, but I need to let him do his thing before the event, etc. We hope to be back on the dyno next Friday night. I say that loosely LOL... I look forward to seeing everyone on Sunday. Stop by and say hello......
Old Dec 4, 2008, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

You have a lot of patience! Good idea. I am not very patient. If I have the main parts I need, and maybe some small thing to finish, I will be calling welders at midnight to get finished with some backyard fab'ing or whatever is needed

I had a front diff let go during tuning at 8pm on Saturday, by Sunday at 1pm I had a half clip of an Evo from the junkyard dumped into my yard, and by 4pm the transfer case from the clip was in my car! The junkyard would not piece out the transfer case from the clip so I bought the whole damn thing as it was the only t-case on the island I could find! Almost made all my money back from selling parts off the clip though
Old Dec 4, 2008, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by crcain
You have a lot of patience! Good idea. I am not very patient. If I have the main parts I need, and maybe some small thing to finish, I will be calling welders at midnight to get finished with some backyard fab'ing or whatever is needed

I had a front diff let go during tuning at 8pm on Saturday, by Sunday at 1pm I had a half clip of an Evo from the junkyard dumped into my yard, and by 4pm the transfer case from the clip was in my car! The junkyard would not piece out the transfer case from the clip so I bought the whole damn thing as it was the only t-case on the island I could find! Almost made all my money back from selling parts off the clip though
Yeah, I actually have very little patience:0 But I need to respect Mike's business. He has done alot for me and has set too much time aside as it is. I figure good things come to those who wait We are methodically preparing this car to beat all records, so I need to try to be patient. As time passes we continually find things that need to be addressed.

Quick Reply: IX RS Build