Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

IX RS Build

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2009, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mike - didn't you say that the Haltech allows you to monitor much more items than an AEM?
Old Aug 26, 2009, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports
Dont get me wrong here.. AEM has its place and does work.. Alot of cars have gone fast with it.. Depending on the setup i dont mind doing AEM for customers.. Im not saying to abandon it.. It has its place.. Its easy to tune..

Mike
Thanks for the reply Mike. Of course I realize crispeed is a terrific tuner and likes Haltech. And I can tell AEM is not the best option out there. But are those the only ECU's out there? Don't your customers need/want knock control?

Also, from my limited experience with AEM, I don't think it gained such popularity because it is easy to tune.. on the contrary... you don't tune the fuel table by VE with AEM which makes it harder to tune. It has clunky software which makes things harder. Basically the worse the ECU the harder it is to tune I'd have thought. People ran AEM because that is what tuners knew and it just caught on.

Anyway, I'd just like to see a big shop like you choose an ECU to promote based solely on what is the absolute best ECU on the market and not what happens to be what your tuner is the most comfortable with. I know reliability and a long history with a company is super important, but... I just think the Haltech lacking knock control is a pretty big deal.

Autronic, Vipec, Hydra and PowerFC all have pretty sophisticated knock control right now. Haltech doesn't. What does Haltech have over something like Vipec or Hydra?
Old Aug 26, 2009, 07:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by crcain
Thanks for the reply Mike. Of course I realize crispeed is a terrific tuner and likes Haltech. And I can tell AEM is not the best option out there. But are those the only ECU's out there? Don't your customers need/want knock control?

Also, from my limited experience with AEM, I don't think it gained such popularity because it is easy to tune.. on the contrary... you don't tune the fuel table by VE with AEM which makes it harder to tune. It has clunky software which makes things harder. Basically the worse the ECU the harder it is to tune I'd have thought. People ran AEM because that is what tuners knew and it just caught on.

Anyway, I'd just like to see a big shop like you choose an ECU to promote based solely on what is the absolute best ECU on the market and not what happens to be what your tuner is the most comfortable with. I know reliability and a long history with a company is super important, but... I just think the Haltech lacking knock control is a pretty big deal.

Autronic, Vipec, Hydra and PowerFC all have pretty sophisticated knock control right now. Haltech doesn't. What does Haltech have over something like Vipec or Hydra?

This why i said we choose what is best for our customer.. Brian needs a haltech.. hes going 8 injectors and we dont do staged injectors on AEM.. Certain customer i wouldnt even allow to run haltech. so trust me.. I custom tailor the car for each customers needs..

I realize you would like to see things... I like what my tuner does with every car he tunes.. So i must do whats right for our business.. I am not going to put my shop name on VIPEK or HYDRA if my tuners doesnt like those ecu's.. Im not going to brag and boast about Crispeed cause i do it enough already but he is the REAL DEAL.. He isnt an internet tuner.. He has more years of experience tuning than 99% of the people on this forum... He tunes with what he calls " common sense ". not with what the knock sensor tells him he should do or what the pretty 3d graphics say it should like..

If you want to discuss the ecu's any further please create another thread or PM me.. I dont want to sidetrack brians thread anymore..

MIke
Old Aug 26, 2009, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

I was just throwing it out there about the evo that runs 7's.. I realize you can run 7's with a VPC & GCC...

The best ecu for our customers is the ECU our tuner beleives in and has helped develop for 18 years.. Our tuner Crispeed doesnt just tune Haltech.. They call him when there are things they want worked out and tested..

I can run any ecu i want including Motec.. I beleive in Crispeed and he beleives in Haltech.. That makes it the best solution for US and our customers.. AEM is known for MANY MANY issues i wont even get into.. SPend some time on supra forums with the guys making 1500-2000k HP and see what they say about expereinces with AEM.. I dont need my customers having those bad experiences.. I just sent back a failed ECU to AEM which they said was " OK " when they tested it.. Funny thing is the car wouldnt prime the Fuel pump or start the car .. we unplugged it , sent it in and received back " Unfixed ".. plugged it into the car and cranked.. Once again proving they dont want to admit when the ecu has issues..

Was recently said by someone at AEM whos name i wont mention.. Dont quote me cause i forgot exact words .. " We never thought the aem would be used as it is today.. it was designed to pnp for near stock cars, not what people are doing with it today "..

The reason I beleive 99% of the evos on standalones are using AEM.. Because its EASY to tune.. Again i dont tune i am going off what i have been told by many AEM tuners.. Haltech will slowly make its way into the Evo market, trust me.. The new platinum series is much more user friendly than in the past and superior to AEM..

Dont get me wrong here.. AEM has its place and does work.. Alot of cars have gone fast with it.. Depending on the setup i dont mind doing AEM for customers.. Im not saying to abandon it.. It has its place.. Its easy to tune..

Mike
I would like to think mike that AEM is semi easy to tune but very time consuming to setup from the beginning. Now when you have worked with it for a long time and have tons of actual base maps its not bad. If you want something really easy to tune go pick up an autronic lol.

Do you sell haltech? whats the cost on each unit?

I Hope that it makes brian go faster.

Last edited by project_skyline; Aug 26, 2009 at 08:09 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 08:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by project_skyline
I would like to think mike that AEM is semi easy to tune but very time consuming to setup from the beginning. Now when you have worked with it for a long time and have tons of actual base maps its not bad. If you want something really easy to tune go pick up an autronic lol.

Do you sell haltech? whats the cost on each unit?

I Hope that it makes brian go faster.
Yes we are a haltech dealer and its much less expensive than everyone thinks..

the platinum 1000 pnp for evo 8 is 1295.00 shipped

the platinum 2000 pnp for Mivec evo 9 is 1620.00 shipped

the new software is much easier to use than in the past...

MIke
Old Aug 26, 2009, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

He tunes with what he calls " common sense ". not with what the knock sensor tells him he should do or what the pretty 3d graphics say it should like..
I don't even know where to start with that comment. *sigh*

Best to just stop going back and forth.

Bottom line, there is a lot of ECU's on the market. They all make the same power. Some are easier to tune, more reliable, safer, etc... Haltech I'm sure is good, and I don't blame you for sticking with what your tuner likes. Is there something better? I guess we don't know.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 11:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Nothing really to debate here. Its just what we have chosen to use. There are always 10 different ways to get something done... The Haltech has proven itself over and over. My AEM has peformed very well too. Time to try different things. My cams have worked perfect too, but time to try something new there too...

Is there something better? I guess we don't know.

You always like to start debates. If your curious how the Haltech, AEM, AUTRONIC, etc compare. Do a test! We aren't doing it on my budget. I've had the honor to watch Crispeed tune on several occassions and he catches sheet before problems ever become problems. He's that good and I stand by him. And we arent installing Haltech because thats what the tuner wants, I just want more flexibility than the AEM and asked Mike for it. He's a dealer for Haltech so that is the obvious choice for me... Not to mention if my preferred tuner is comfortable with Haltech why would I ask him to tune using Vipek. Doesn't make any sense.

Last edited by Most-Wanted; Aug 26, 2009 at 11:42 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 04:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Most-Wanted
You always like to start debates.
I didn't think asking why Haltech is a good choice was such a can of worms!

Originally Posted by Most-Wanted
He's a dealer for Haltech so that is the obvious choice for me... Not to mention if my preferred tuner is comfortable with Haltech why would I ask him to tune using Vipec. Doesn't make any sense.
I wasn't suggesting you need to run Vipec, but I was curious why Haltech is a good choice. So far the only answer is that the tuner likes it. Which is a choice I totally respect, but I'm also curious of the technical merits.

At the same time I suppose I was suggesting that a not so amazing AEM computer gained wide popularity for Evos in the states because tuners didn't want to try what they weren't comfortable. Which I guess was the controversial part but it's just an opinion.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 04:54 AM
Account Disabled

Most people like to tune on what they know how to tune on. Vipec is quite new and not to many ppl know how to operate everything on it just yet. As far as AEM and Haltech the difference isn't massive just difference features different tuning options etc.... both proven to work well and way better then stock ecu.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 08:37 AM
Former Sponsor

I didn't think asking why Haltech is a good choice was such a can of worms!

I wasn't suggesting you need to run Vipec, but I was curious why Haltech is a good choice. So far the only answer is that the tuner likes it. Which is a choice I totally respect, but I'm also curious of the technical merits.

At the same time I suppose I was suggesting that a not so amazing AEM computer gained wide popularity for Evos in the states because tuners didn't want to try what they weren't comfortable. Which I guess was the controversial part but it's just an opinion.
Ok maybe you missed a few things i mentioned that i find superior on Haltech..

The idle control on large injectors

The Startup is faster vs. aem

Cruising is much cleaner with less hiccups

Since i dont tune i can only mention things i notice... Here is a few things i am told makes it superior..

32 x 32 mapping

3d boost comp

Boost comp by RPM

7 bar map Support

Staged injector control

I am sure i could turn crispeed onto this thread and he could post for an hour as i here him all day rant about things he hates about 1 unit and loves about haltech.. I hope this satisfies your inquisitive nature Crcain.. We not only use Haltech on Certain cars because my tuner is comfortable with it.. we use it because certain features our race cars needs the AEM sucks for or doesnt have.. simple as that.. start another thread if you want to carry on this discussion and ill send crispeed over to explain more of what you MUST know and why we do what we do..

Mike
Old Aug 31, 2009, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks to Mike my AEM has been sold and we are a go for HALTECH
Old Sep 3, 2009, 09:39 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks Mike and crew for making a house call tonight. Lana is now at AWD for a makeover Not too many shops will drive 3 hours to come pick up your car.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 09:52 PM
Evolving Member

Very nice Brian! You going to the track tomorrow night? We will be there at 6:30
Old Sep 3, 2009, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

I cant wait to see that 8 sec pass brian.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 10:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by project_skyline
I cant wait to see that 8 sec pass brian.
You and me both Wait til everyone see's what's going on with Lana after my 8 sec pass

Quick Reply: IX RS Build