Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Wheatley's 6262 build

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2011, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wheatley
Its been cruising between 170-176. I did 5 back to back pulls yesterday. It was 75 degrees, entering the last pull it was 179. It got up to 186 within 20 seconds it was back to 179 and dropped back to 176 within a minute.

...... but 43lbs felt pretty awesome.
Thanks for the info that's good to hear as i have a Koyo half-size rad coming anyday now

And 43 psi
Old Aug 15, 2011, 09:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
damn thats a nice build
Old Aug 15, 2011, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LGshow19
So what's the logic behind switching oils? What were you running before Bradd Penn?

You said you were getting the AEM boost control sorted out... 43lbs was accidental bro or what? Sounds like fun! Lol
I was on break-in oil. The rings were reused but the block was rehoned when we had it apart. Its just to get all the contaminants out and help the rings reseat.

43 wasn't really accidental just over my target by a few lbs. For now it will sit around 40 psi unless that's not enough to meet my goals. The aem is pretty easy to setup, I had it about where I wanted it in 5 pulls from wg pressure to the 40 psi range. This time last year would have taken me 20 pulls lol.

Originally Posted by Hennessy2remedy
build is sick brutha. where in indy you located?

this thread inspires me to get the ball rolling on my build. i'll be in and out of here for insporation lmao
Im actually north of Indy, thanks for the compliments.

Originally Posted by PATRICK B.
Thanks for the info that's good to hear as i have a Koyo half-size rad coming anyday now

And 43 psi
The koyo should be much nicer than this mishimoto, it came full of aluminum chunks and the core was tweaked and cut crooked from the get go. I would like to have a custom one made at some point but if this one does the job it will stay for awhile.

The car feels and per afrs is down on power from last year but I figured it would be with the downgrade from the magnus to the stock intake manifold. Hopefully it will help stay in the power band without having to shift at 9200 anymore.

Originally Posted by ILoveAWD
damn thats a nice build
Thank you.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

just noticed I apparently can't spell correctly "inspiration" lmao. i'm sure i'll be seeing you at some track days around indy.

also, good to see a cleanly built evo and not some redneck trash or riced out early 2000's inspired honda civic.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

You wont see me at IRP, my stuff isn't legal yet and I have had a lot of bad luck going there.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Well that makes sense now why your changing oils lol.

I was wondering. Accidental 43psi would have scared the "sh*t" out of me hahaha. The AEM also saved you on fuel man... 5 pulls compared to 20 lol.

Hey man, have you checked the compression? Wondering what your compression is looking like after the rings seat.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 01:22 PM
Former Sponsor

just noticed I apparently can't spell correctly "inspiration" lmao. i'm sure i'll be seeing you at some track days around indy.

also, good to see a cleanly built evo and not some redneck trash or riced out early 2000's inspired honda civic.
There are a few nice evos around Indy. Any that I'm a part of are to fast for irp though
Old Aug 15, 2011, 02:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Fathouse
There are a few nice evos around Indy. Any that I'm a part of are to fast for irp though
good to hear, i haven't lived in indy for around 9 years and last i remember was all rice and rednecks.

hoping to meet a few evo owners when i get out there.

i'll stop the off topic banter and search for the indy threads. sorry OP!
Old Aug 15, 2011, 03:47 PM
Evolved Member

Well that makes sense now why your changing oils lol.

I was wondering. Accidental 43psi would have scared the "sh*t" out of me hahaha. The AEM also saved you on fuel man... 5 pulls compared to 20 lol.

Hey man, have you checked the compression? Wondering what your compression is looking like after the rings seat.
It took me 20 last year with the AEM, I was a noob at it. Not to say now that Im not still a noob but Im better than last year. I also don't have any valve train issues this year making boost inconsistent.

I actually don't own a compression tester. I have a cylinder leakage tester, as long as the percentages are decent Ive never been worried about compression much.

Originally Posted by Fathouse
Truth

good to hear, i haven't lived in indy for around 9 years and last i remember was all rice and rednecks.

hoping to meet a few evo owners when i get out there.

i'll stop the off topic banter and search for the indy threads. sorry OP!
I don't know if you were hanging out with the right crowd. Everyone I know has been doing it at least that long. You probably wont have a lot of luck searching on here for Indy related stuff to be honest.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Ill keep this short and sweet and get pics next time I feel like going out to the garage. **** Oliver Rods.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 07:13 PM
Evolving Member

That's not good.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I heard the news and hated to hear it. Didnt even get to tune on the thing yet to see what it had

But i cant say anything bad about Oliver rods. I've been on them for 20K now on 40psi with 9-9200RPM shifts @ 700+WHP for the last 12-15K id say and the other 5-7K was on 600WHP and haven't had any bad luck yet. Dunno what caused the failure yet but im sure ill find out soon enough.

So are you going to be building another engine or??
Old Aug 18, 2011, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Wow Wheatly bro... Hate to see this happen man.

Once you find out the reason for the failure let's us know. Very unfortunate...
Old Aug 18, 2011, 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Colt4g63
I heard the news and hated to hear it. Didnt even get to tune on the thing yet to see what it had

But i cant say anything bad about Oliver rods. I've been on them for 20K now on 40psi with 9-9200RPM shifts @ 700+WHP for the last 12-15K id say and the other 5-7K was on 600WHP and haven't had any bad luck yet. Dunno what caused the failure yet but im sure ill find out soon enough.

So are you going to be building another engine or??
Thanks

Wait until you have to send one back in to have it inspected. Go through 3 months of waiting to get a rod back worse off than it was when it was sent in and causing to you pay for another set of new bearings. On top of that pay for another rod to replace the one they honed crooked and have it sent to you with the bearing locks cut incorrectly having to send it back in again. If that occurs let me know if you have anything bad to say.

Oliver, btw Tim at Oliver said that 9200rpm will be outside the manufacturers limit on the arp 2000 rod bolts for the rotational weight of our engines. Just passing that along, he recommended around 8500 but then again when I asked if I needed to upgrade rod bolts the first time he said no and the second time he said yes after the rods were already done and shipped back out .

The rod that is allowing my crank to see the back side of my turbo was the replacement rod.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

Wow Wheatly bro... Hate to see this happen man.

Once you find out the reason for the failure let's us know. Very unfortunate...
Thanks, at this point I doubt I touch it for several months. I've done nothing but wrench on it for months and for it to last just long enough for me to get excited about racing again is a downer. Last year I had nothing but head issues, taking it off and on and sending it back to the shop that did it and now this. With the amount of damage I doubt I have it back together for a few years. At this point I want to get all my debts paid off and start looking into buying another house. I've never been concerned about blowing an engine as long as it didnt window the block or take out my fresh head. I'm pretty sure this did both

Quick Reply: Wheatley's 6262 build