Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Wheatley's 6262 build

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2012, 09:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That last engine shot is pretty! Did you powdercoat your CE28's? I was looking for a full side view pic with them. Nice either way.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 09:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i think they are diamond black coming along good shootouts coming up fast ready to see it go thru the gears.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2theMAX
That last engine shot is pretty! Did you powdercoat your CE28's? I was looking for a full side view pic with them. Nice either way.
Originally Posted by mrboost05
i think they are diamond black coming along good shootouts coming up fast ready to see it go thru the gears.

Thanks guys, they are painted Tarmac Black like the exterior of the car. I'll update this sometime after work or this week. It was a pretty busy weekend with car related stuff.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 01:51 PM

Sick build brother, both of them!!! Glad you didn't give up like so many would have. Keep the updates coming
Old Jul 5, 2012, 12:23 AM
Evolved Member

The last week has been very hot in the garage. Our central air went out in the house so I had great motivation to finish things in the garage. It has been in the low 100's in the garage and generally 60-80% humidity. Honestly it's been a miserable time assembling this car.

I picked the short block up last Thursday and wanted to have it in before a few local benefit car shows over the next few weekends and have it running before the DSM shootout. Sorry about the picture quality, I have all but stopped using my DSLR and just switched to using my phone, its just much more convenient in the garage.

It's been almost 10 years since I've degreed an engine but with all the maching to the head along with the 2.4 degreeing differences I figured it was better safe than sorry.

Claying to check ptv

I was concerned about the inability to really get a good reading on the clay and was advised to just install helper springs and check with a dial indicator. The only issue is I had already done a final assembly with my custom gasket and l19s. I didn't think about it right away but I remembered changing valve springs before in the car without taking the head off. Luckily I had a cylinder leakdown tester and a little bit of ingenuity and was able to get around taking the head off to change valve springs.

Kinda rigged but for some reason I kept the old low mileage belt just in case, it worked great to keep the crank and pistons from spinning while filling the cylinders with air.

All assembled and ready to run.

With the help of a few friends to spot catch leaks or issues I successfully started it for the first time Wednesday night.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 12:30 AM

sick build and car man!!
Old Jul 5, 2012, 12:43 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks
Old Jul 5, 2012, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Did you install the engine assembly with the AMS intake as a whole and if yes, from top?
Old Jul 5, 2012, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

Yes everything but the exhaust manifold and no from the bottom. Took about 20 mins.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 01:55 AM
Evolved Member

damn look good. can you post more pics from the front
Old Jul 9, 2012, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

The heat finally let up around here so I took it out for its first drive. It took a lot more fuel off boost than the old setup, much more than I had anticipated actually. I put 60 miles on it tonight out in the country and I love the way this car feels, I didn't get into boost much which was really hard. It wants to start spooling really low and just pulls really really nice. I was a little nervous about stop and go with the evo 9 first gear, hks FD, and the qm but it's a lot smoother than I remember the 2.0 being actually.

I can't wait to start making boost, I think this combo is going to work really well together.

If you like quick idle videos. Idles great, only took a few adjustments to the old map. It still needs a little work off throttle to keep it from dieing occasionally but no biggie.

It was 105 saturday, with the engine not broken in yet I decided it was best to trailer it down to a benefit car show for a kids hospital. Someone snapped a shot of the front, so here you go dtrackstar

And my buddy with the AWD colt ridding shotgun watching the laptop for me snapping some pics for instagram

Last edited by Wheatley; Jul 9, 2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks! it look great. about to watch the video too
Old Jul 10, 2012, 09:21 AM
Account Disabled

God damn that engine bay is clean! Glad to see the beast is up & running again!
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
yeaaaahhh buddy. Looks good.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by B.J.@ToxicFab
God damn that engine bay is clean! Glad to see the beast is up & running again!
Thanks, me too!

Originally Posted by R/TErnie
yeaaaahhh buddy. Looks good.
thanks!

Quick Reply: Wheatley's 6262 build