Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Wheatley's 6262 build

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2013, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wheatley
6' 240lbs 18" seats. I carry so I like a little room for that too. I fit comfortably in the 17.5 economy seats but the pros aren't made in half inch increments.
Hmmm ill probably get 17" then... I'm 6'1" 170-180.

I have to message streetthisevo about what harness bar he uses for the seats.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No chute yet, its close but I don't think a 6262 semi full weight car is going to go fast enough often enough to have anyone make a big deal about it not being there. Next year after a 6466 and some e98 maybe it'll go fast enough to have one hanging there.

Yes ill be painting it black. probably por 15 and bsci padding in black.
No one will complain or ***** at the track, but "technically" 135 mph makes you have to comply to 9.99 spec and as you approach 150 a parachute is required.

Just letting you know because I almost failed chassis cert because of a technicality.

Have jeremy build the chute into the rear frame rails of the chassis that way its already done.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know the rules, thanks though. I have to comply with 9.99 spec because its gone 9.88 Ill have him do the chute mount later when it's in the budget. Everything else will be there for 8.50 and 150+, I just don't have the funds for an unneeded chute
Old Feb 3, 2013, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

I hear you on budgets It just gets crazy when you mod these cars, because it then turns into a snowball effect, which at times is tough to control.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Lol yeah for sure.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
the rules are BS IMO. if your racing in a NHRA event then ok you have to follow what they want but for un sanctioned races or TNT it is complete BS. inspect the car and make sure its not falling apart. high 9s and 140 to 150mph is becoming easier from factory cars and light mods
Old Feb 3, 2013, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

Just because its easier it doesn't mean you don't get just as ****ed up at 150 mph. Especially in these cars running considerably faster than they were designed. The rules have changed for 08 and newer cars by the way since they are so fast from the factory and have so many safety features. Most the rules I don't agree with but a cage at 150mph I'm ok with. I've had an accident north of 100 mph and from what I remember it was one helluva ride and am lucky to be alive. The recerting bull**** and chute requirement etc is a ****ing racket to drum up more money. The guys trapping 150+ with no safety equipment have some big *****. It doesn't take much to upset a car on 4 slicks going that fast. Go back and watch the footage of wcf this year and all the cars wadded. Then these Evenns, ahobbs etc. After a freeze plug let loose wetting the slicks the realization that me not wanting to add 100lbs could leave my son without a father hit me really hard. I've seen guys running on fire and after seeing Jeff's 1g burst into flames I'm not chancing it on protective gear either. I'm not hating on you for not wanting to run safety equipment but I've seen enough crashes to see what that safety equipment has to offer over what it cost and little performance it takes away.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Just because its easier it doesn't mean you don't get just as ****ed up at 150 mph. Especially in these cars running considerably faster than they were designed. The rules have changed for 08 and newer cars by the way since they are so fast from the factory and have so many safety features. Most the rules I don't agree with but a cage at 150mph I'm ok with. I've had an accident north of 100 mph and from what I remember it was one helluva ride and am lucky to be alive. The recerting bull**** and chute requirement etc is a ****ing racket to drum up more money. The guys trapping 150+ with no safety equipment have some big *****. It doesn't take much to upset a car on 4 slicks going that fast. Go back and watch the footage of wcf this year and all the cars wadded. Then these Evenns, ahobbs etc. After a freeze plug let loose wetting the slicks the realization that me not wanting to add 100lbs could leave my son without a father hit me really hard. I've seen guys running on fire and after seeing Jeff's 1g burst into flames I'm not chancing it on protective gear either. I'm not hating on you for not wanting to run safety equipment but I've seen enough crashes to see what that safety equipment has to offer over what it cost and little performance it takes away.
Exactly man until something happens people just think your adding uneeded weight. I could never live with myself if I pulled the airbags/door beams out of my car and a fatal crashed happend and I survived. All for what maybe 20lbs?...I think you are doing the right thing by adding safety especially for your sons sake. I'm sure you will pull enough weight to make up for the cage and safety equipment maybe even a little more. Good luck this year!
Old Feb 3, 2013, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AngryEvo8
Exactly man until something happens people just think your adding uneeded weight. I could never live with myself if I pulled the airbags/door beams out of my car and a fatal crashed happend and I survived. All for what maybe 20lbs?...I think you are doing the right thing by adding safety especially for your sons sake. I'm sure you will pull enough weight to make up for the cage and safety equipment maybe even a little more. Good luck this year!
my argument is the 135mph rule, EFI or AFI''or whatever it is called'' APPROVED crank pulleys, axle loops, 360 degree scatter shields, and so on. these cars are not 1970 death traps where clutches and flywheels come out of the bell housings on a daily basis. the 150mph and parachute rule is BS. the cage rules are all messed up. its BS to have one in a mid/sub 11 second car. yes a 9 second car should have one.

look i am all for safety. i have everything they require me to have to race so i could care less what anyone says. and when they tell me i cant race until i get this or that i do it. we can disagree with this all day but it is my opinion. and honestly 99% if not 100% of every evo on this forum is braking a rule made by NHRA in some way shape or form.

if you took my post in the wrong way then i am sorry. it was not intended to be a full out screw safety. i am far from that. my car is uncut, and complies with my local tracks for what they want me to have. i dont mess around when my life is on the line. i just feel there way of setting rules is asinine.

edit
as for as the weight comment i hope that is not directed toward my comment or my extreme interest in weight reduction. no i do not run crash beams. have you seen these cars in a wreck? there useless. i have a role bar, 5 point harnesses i keep up to date. no driver air bag because if your harness is used correctly your body is much safer then a regular seat belt and you will not reach the air bag anyways. FIA approved seats, full door beams, and not a single structural component removed. i bet my car is one of the safest 9 second evo's around. i spend a lot of money thinking of ways to drop weight then to hack up my car. sorry if i took this personally.

wheatley sorry for getting this to drift off. it was not my intention at all. i have respect for you, your choices, and interest in your build.

Last edited by EvoDan2004; Feb 3, 2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 09:21 PM
Evolved Member

No need for apologies. I think we're all on the same page. The bull**** nhra rules get me all fired up, I can't stand their ****. Like you mentioned plus 200$ cert fees and license fees and rules etc etc.

I'm not a fan of airbags in most situations and as you mentioned once the srs system is removed due to seats and harness it becomes useless. I don't have air bags or front/rear 5mph rated crash beams. I wouldn't have the door beam If they were easy to remove. In the real world they are only to appease gov regulation and in all honesty do nothing in the majority of crashes. That's the job of the a,b,c pilar which if you've ever seen a lancer crash they pretty much wrinkle on impact. These cars are nothing more than body kitted lancer econo cars. They're offer a false sense of security. These are compact cars and crush on impact. The comment about weight was a generality and mostly aimed at my own concerns of adding 100lbs. In all seriousness it's been driving me insane. The easy solution is to throw parts at it or cut it up. The thing that's stopping me is my budget and the fact I'm wanting to stay within the guidelines of ifo street class designations. I'm going to try my hardest to get a 9.5-9.6 in street class trim on a 6262 and then bump to a 6466 and shoot for 9.20s while being nhra legal. I've had sfi dampner on it, ds loop etc since 2010.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evodan2004
my argument is the 135mph rule...
I was running 136 in 2004 and my ETs were were mid 11s.. At that time, the track officials were telling me to conform to 9.99spec, which by default becames you comply with the 8.50 or slower class... Which then resulted in almost 4 years of wrenching on a car to comply... Believe you me, the rules are bull****.. but unforutnately they are the rules

if anyone can understand the frustration of rules and tracks.. I can ,it sucked.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Cool

Awsome
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

The guys at Fatfab are very busy but they squeezed me in. Cant wait to share some of the new goodness coming.

Had great weather on the way down.

Tucked in behind an lsx promod 88 notch

Last edited by Wheatley; Feb 16, 2013 at 09:55 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:07 PM
Evolved Member

did you get caught in a snow storm with no windshield?
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:27 PM
Evolved Member

And no back glass. I had plastic covering all the wiring were the dash is but it didn't last long. ****ing water everyone, salt all over the car. It finally cleared up so I drove the truck and trailer through a pay and spray and sprayed the car off as best I could without making the interior worse. When I got the the shop I was able to clean it out relatively easily but still. There was a good 30 mins of me cussing and towing well above the speed I normally tow at. I knew the storm was clear south so I was trying to haul *** to get out of it.

Quick Reply: Wheatley's 6262 build