Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Wheatley's 6262 build

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2013, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Evosick2332
Interior and cage looks awesome man! Very clean
Originally Posted by R/TErnie
nice cage work!
Originally Posted by ExtremeDSM
Very clean looking, even with the cage. Never liked cages in cars but that one looks nice.
Originally Posted by evodan2004
wow she came out supper supper clean. very nice
Thanks guys!

Originally Posted by PATRICK B.
WOW the cage turned out GREAT!

Kudos to Jeremy and his crew on the fab work everything is nice and tucked up to the headliner and very functional......when i see that i kick myself for not going through the dash with mine

I'm diggin those Kirkey's that you and Chris have i may pick some up would you mind shooting me some pics of the seat brackets if you have more detailed pics of them?

Sucks to hear about the FP being on backorder......
I think your cage had some of the most detailed photos which turned out great by the way and really helped me decide what I wanted. I knew I wouldn't be able to get in and out of the car comfortable with that bar there and I bet removing the dash is a chore. I bought a spare dash to cut up so I wouldn't be cutting my original dash.

I can look through my pics for some of the brackets, they are done differently than Chris's.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
The car came out GREAT!

Can't wait to see you bang some gear down the 1320.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 06:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks everybody for the props on the cage, I think it turned out great! Looking forward to doing some more!

I can't wait to see this thing making some JAM down the track soon!

Fathouse
Old May 2, 2013, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

I've been busting *** on this thing every spare minute I get and the list is getting small. I still need to finish up the fuel system and have all the parts for it other than the pump. Other than plumbing the fuel feed line the engine bay is wrapped up. When the car was down getting the cage a Fatfab catch can appeared before pickup. I went ahead and coated it black along with redoing the fatfab charge pipes and the valve cover.

This isn't something I've talked much about and am going to keep everyone up to date if it works out or not. I wanted a few things to change on my fuel system.

1. One pump
2. Sumped
3. Factory fuel gauge usage

Before I took the car down to fatfab I removed the stock tank and made a mock up replacement tank. This is a prototype but for the most part came out really nice. This is a bolt in replacement tank that a oem fuel pump hanger will bolt into and oem fill neck will fill. The only thing we modified was a place to put an extra safety strap under the rear seat. Its anodized and has two -12 feeds, -12 vent and currently using stock hanger for return. I can run a bulk head -8/-10 if fuel pressure can't be kept under control. For the time being a magnafuel 4303 fuel pump will be used with a -12 feed and -10 to rail. With one -12 opened it emptied the tank in under a minute. I did a quick water test and it appears to be about 6 1/4 gallons. I know that doesn't sound like much but even when the oem tank is completely drained there is still a good amount of fuel left that is below the pickup socks. I also never ran the stock tank below a 1/4 tank at the track. So a 12-14 gallon oem tank with a 1/4 tank is a minimum of 3-3.5 gallons of fuel weight that is unneeded. I estimate this tank will cut my range in half to about 100 miles, for me that is farther than I ever take it without there being an ethanol station anyways. From what I'm thinking on the factory gauge is that it will read half full when full and empty when empty if my math is correct on replacing the saddle side pot in the circuit. I thought of a solution for that tonight as well and will update once I try it out.

Old May 2, 2013, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
god damn that came out awesome. did you post the weight savings? also what was the gallon capacity?

will it go into production or is this Wheatley only.
Old May 2, 2013, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

god damn that came out awesome. did you post the weight savings? also what was the gallon capacity?

will it go into production or is this Wheatley only.
Thanks, I dig it as well!

Capacity is between 6.25-6.5 gallons, all useable. I have the stock tank on my shop floor that I drained with the tank dropped and it still has a decent amount of fuel in it! I have no easy way of weighing what the stock tank weighs with the fuel that can't be sucked out by stock pump location or via the drains even with the tank dropped. Stock tank weight from what I've seen on here is 36 lbs dry. This tank is sub 10lbs, I don't have an accurate postage scale but it was under 10 on our home scale. I expect well over 30 lbs of savings from race weight on stock tank to this tank due to being able to use all the fuel in the cell without concerns of cavitation. This is going into production if everything works out. There has been a manufacturing process change since this one was built and the next set will be even nicer.
Old May 2, 2013, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Wheatley
Thanks, I dig it as well!

Capacity is between 6.25-6.5 gallons, all useable. I have the stock tank on my shop floor that I drained with the tank dropped and it still has a decent amount of fuel in it! I have no easy way of weighing what the stock tank weighs with the fuel that can't be sucked out by stock pump location or via the drains even with the tank dropped. Stock tank weight from what I've seen on here is 36 lbs dry. This tank is sub 10lbs, I don't have an accurate postage scale but it was under 10 on our home scale. I expect well over 30 lbs of savings from race weight on stock tank to this tank due to being able to use all the fuel in the cell without concerns of cavitation. This is going into production if everything works out. There has been a manufacturing process change since this one was built and the next set will be even nicer.
i may be interested. like we spoke about i do not want to ditch the stock tank for fuel capacity but trying this might be an option. 30lbs is no joke. do you have a projected price? will it work with a double pumper? i would assume so but figured id ask.
Old May 2, 2013, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

i may be interested. like we spoke about i do not want to ditch the stock tank for fuel capacity but trying this might be an option. 30lbs is no joke. do you have a projected price? will it work with a double pumper? i would assume so but figured id ask.

The pricing will be handled through fatfab once they release them for sale. It was designed to use stock hanger and is the same depth as the stock tank from flange to bottom so it should work fine. I'm working on a solution for the fuel gauge to function properly, from what I'm seeing right now its looking like it will read at "half" when "full" and empty when empty. The oem gauge function was important to me but with the stock tanking have two potentiometers with different ohm sweeps it doesn't look like its going to be an easy fix for the gauge to work from full to empty as a complete sweep.
Old May 2, 2013, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How much does the second sender weigh? Can you just cut a hole and mount it in the new tank? Then it would work like stock.
Old May 2, 2013, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

Wow, that tank looks clean too.

I know Evo'D was making tanks but not for the stock fuel hanger. I also might be interested, wish they were released sooner so I wouldnt have to modify my current fuel lines.
Old May 2, 2013, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by batty200
How much does the second sender weigh? Can you just cut a hole and mount it in the new tank? Then it would work like stock.
The second sender is made for a shallower side of the tank, the arm is a different length, plus with the baffling inside this tank it would be very hard to make it fit anywhere. On top of that its another failure point for mounting and sealing. The second sender is the pot, arm, float, steel mount with suction tube and filter and sensor. It doesn't weigh a lot but its adding another level of complexity that Id rather just avoid.

Originally Posted by LGshow19
Wow, that tank looks clean too.

I know Evo'D was making tanks but not for the stock fuel hanger. I also might be interested, wish they were released sooner so I wouldnt have to modify my current fuel lines.
If you're using stock hanger you'd be fine, if you want to run the sump part you'd only need a few feet of hose and a few fittings depending on your setup. Not that large of a job to drop 25+ lbs
Old May 2, 2013, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

Ill definitely consider it... It might be perfect timing because I want to get black lines for this Single pump setup I have.

Thanks Wheatley
Old May 2, 2013, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

No problem. I went with the black pro classic for mine
Old May 2, 2013, 09:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Wheatley
No problem. I went with the black pro classic for mine
I had black for the double pumper setup, then I have red/blue because I bought them with the pump for easy installation.... oh well, Ill get to that later.
Old May 3, 2013, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
The new tank came out really nice.

Correct me if I am wrong but is there 2 catch cans in your bay? If so whats the reason for that?

Quick Reply: Wheatley's 6262 build