Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

"Junk Box" Evo 2012 Build!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Good luck bro, bust that record.

Sucks, everyone is trying so hard to beat records with the season almost over Excites to see what's going to happen next year!
Old Oct 22, 2012, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Drag Strip Update 10/21/12

Well I made it out to the drag strip yesterday @ Byron Dragway. The weather was perfect. Sunny and 70 degrees. There was a head wind about 20-25mph or so but couldnt complain about the weather at all. It was perfect. In the recent few weeks, We put the CNC staging brake on the car along with the AMS rear Wilwood small brakes. It was the first day out since the DSM/EVO Shootout back in Mid-August. The track was so busy. Over 400 cars i heard was there that they announced. It took me 4+ hours to make 2 passes.

First pass- First time using the staging brake, car creeped forward, 1.59 60ft9.3@157.

Second pass- Getting use to the staging brake, 1.51 60ft,
9.11@161.

Third pass- I cut a 1.46 60ft, tried to slam second gear, hit a brick wall. Pulled the car around to do it again, Cut the same 60ft 1.46 and hit a brick wall in second gear again. By that time it was the end of the day and it was dark. Standard syncro transmissions are only good for a certain amount of time which everyone knows. I am going to be looking into a dogbox for next season. It is very frustrating to try to slam a gear and it just locks you out completly of the gear. My car was spinning terribly on those 2 60fts. The car is coming out like an animal, but its spinning so much im trying to slam the gear while its in the rev-limiter which i believe is 9200.

Were going to get the Boost Solenoid up and working again. Somewhere in the wiring there is an issue. I think running boost by gear and calming the boost down in first gear will help out alot. Each track and track day is different especially with this time of year. I think i am going to try that and try to get out one more time. Wednesday night and Thursday night of this week is supposed to be 70 degrees and sunny. Overall it was still a fun day and making a couple low 9 second passes again felt pretty good. Thanks to the Boostin crew for being there and the support. Devin and I are going to dive into the selenoid and plan to get back out this week. Stay tuned!!

Last edited by Evosick2332; Oct 22, 2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds like its still really consistant which is good. dogbox will be killer.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lude2evo
sounds like its still really consistant which is good. dogbox will be killer.
Yea I was happy for a couple low 9 second passes again. I was really hoping for a new personal best yesterday. Im just tired of getting locked out. Dog box is the way to go so thats the plan. As long as funds are there cuz thats its not cheap lol.

Last edited by Evosick2332; Oct 22, 2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:26 AM

Damn, crazy ride bro!
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evosick2332
Yea I was happy for a couple low 9 second passes again. I was really hoping for a new personal best yesterday. Im just tired of getting locked out. Dog box is the way to go so thats the plan. As long as funds are there cuz thats its not cheap lol.
You're not terribly far off from your best, its always fun going faster though. Yeah i know Dogboxes are rediculously expensive. Hell one of the major things holding my build back is getting a built trans in. Hopefully i can sell this sparco rev i got to get some funds free'd up
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tarmac Meister
Damn, crazy ride bro!
It sure is!

Originally Posted by lude2evo
You're not terribly far off from your best, its always fun going faster though. Yeah i know Dogboxes are rediculously expensive. Hell one of the major things holding my build back is getting a built trans in. Hopefully i can sell this sparco rev i got to get some funds free'd up
Im real close. When I went 8.98 that was back in June and there has been a couple small changes to the car. I know the car has a 8.8 in it but with the way the track are this year and coming to an end it will be tough. Hoping to get that boost selenoid working so i can dial it down in first gear and see what happens. If not, then ill be ready to rock again next spring! I hear ya man, Im going to be selling mine as well when the time comes. I need to start saving for that dog box!!
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Sorry I just left after my 3rd pass. No traction for me again which was very frustrating. Still happy I got a personal best even though I was spinning out of the hole. To bad I couldn't see any of you passes. If you make it out again good luck
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wizzo 8
Sorry I just left after my 3rd pass. No traction for me again which was very frustrating. Still happy I got a personal best even though I was spinning out of the hole. To bad I couldn't see any of you passes. If you make it out again good luck
Its all good man no worries. Track was getting colder later in the day and that didnt help neither one of us. Although, i cut my best 60fts of the day, the car was still spinning all over the place. Congrats on your new personal best! Hoping to make it out tomorrow night but will see how it goes. Ill keep everyone updated for sure!
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:06 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for letting me beat you on that third pass, it was a good boost in confidence for me. Lol jk. To bad second was locking you out, but I wouldn't of stood a chance without it Car was looking great and launching hard. I'm sure you be at that 8.8 soon!
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Baxtersevo
Thanks for letting me beat you on that third pass, it was a good boost in confidence for me. Lol jk. To bad second was locking you out, but I wouldn't of stood a chance without it Car was looking great and launching hard. I'm sure you be at that 8.8 soon!
It was good to see you again man. lol I do want a rematch though next season Yea it was frustrating with the second gear lock out but thats all part if it on a stock syncro transmission. I dont get that many passes out of it but it happens. Maybe time for a DogBox next season. That will solve the issue its just not cheap at all lol. Im hoping to get out one more time this season to give it another shot. I am going to turn the 2-step down and see if that calms the car in first gear. All i was doing was spining and in the rev limiter trying to slam 2nd gear. Will see what happens, but im glad i made a couple low 9 second passes again
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

Nice try this last time out! It sounds like the writing is on the wall--if you want to consistently run 8s your current tranny setup simply isn't going to cut it. Understand you want to address the boost solenoid issue and get back out there, but you'll most likely still have those lock-out issues. Why chance breaking something on the car knowing this? If it was me I'd leave the car in the garage until I've resolved the tranny issue.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 1QYK9
Nice try this last time out! It sounds like the writing is on the wall--if you want to consistently run 8s your current tranny setup simply isn't going to cut it. Understand you want to address the boost solenoid issue and get back out there, but you'll most likely still have those lock-out issues. Why chance breaking something on the car knowing this? If it was me I'd leave the car in the garage until I've resolved the tranny issue.
Thanks Man! Your exactly right. It might take the dogbox to consistently run 8s. Especially since my car is 350lbs heavier then other drag EVO's out there with a full 12 point cage that is certified. There is a lot of weight to be taken out, i just need to find the time to do it and it will be done in the off season.

The weather is supoosed to be 70 degrees this whole week pretty much so i thought might try a couple things different to see. Will see how it goes but i thought about leaving it in the garage until next season as well but will see. I still would like to try 1 last time lol What can I say I am dedicated drag racer haha.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evosick2332
Thanks Man! Your exactly right. It might take the dogbox to consistently run 8s. Especially since my car is 350lbs heavier then other drag EVO's out there with a full 12 point cage that is certified. There is a lot of weight to be taken out, i just need to find the time to do it and it will be done in the off season.

The weather is supoosed to be 70 degrees this whole week pretty much so i thought might try a couple things different to see if the trans will hold up. Will see how it goes but i thought about leaving it in the garage until next season but will see. I still would like to try 1 last time lol I am dedicated drag racer haha.
If this is a dedicated drag race car, you might as well go all out and put that thing on serious diet and get it down to 2500-2600 like other serious drag Evos. Its also the right time to resolve the tranny issue--dogbox, BR auto tranny, etc.

Best of luck going forward!
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 1QYK9
If this is a dedicated drag race car, you might as well go all out and put that thing on serious diet and get it down to 2500-2600 like other serious drag Evos. Its also the right time to resolve the tranny issue--dogbox, BR auto tranny, etc.

Best of luck going forward!
Yea i need to get it down there in weight. The cage added about 120lbs to the car but its certified and i couldnt complain. I am going to get it down past that like the other drag EVOs out there it just takes time. Perfect time to do it in the off season.

I would most likely go to a dog box and still shift gears. I had numerous people tell me i wont go 8s on a stock transmission and i did when i went 8.98 a few months back. DogBox and the QM 8 leg cluctch will be perfect when the time comes. Its just expensive and need to get my funds together for it. Thanks for the encouragement man, hope to have some updates soon!

Quick Reply: "Junk Box" Evo 2012 Build!!!!