Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

My 03 evo 8 hybrid Build

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2011, 09:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MAP 2.4 build with custom 25g

Hey guys I figured I would start a build thread now since things are just starting to get into motion as I accumulate parts and get my motor built etc. I will start tearing into the car next week when I return home for winter break from school which I am hoping to have the car on the road by the end of so I should have about a month or so of time.

The story: in early august of the past summer my car lost power and bogged down soon followed by a large amount of ticking from what seemed to be the head. After I looked around I noticed that my turbo was virtually shot as the wheel was contacting the compressor housing and also that the noise wasn't coming from my head as I had assumed possible lifter tick. from there I of course dropped the pan to find a slight rod knock on piston 3 the bearing wasn’t spun however the Babbitt material was at least half gone luckily I caught it in time before cause too much damage however it was clearly time for a rebuild. as I searched around for possible options and routes to go I favored the idea of building a true 2.4l 4g64 block for my evo rather than stroking my 2.0 block mainly for reliability and I kind of like to have something a little different than every other car in my area. so I looked into how to go about getting this done for my car and that is what has lead me to where I am now.

As of today I have only gotten to pull the block from a donor car (2002 galant with 78k on it that I stumbled upon in a junk yard)
After pulling this motor and tearing it down it was time to decide who I would have build it. After a lot of research and time into thinking what was right for me I decided I would go with MAP for my build and after a week or so of speaking with Adam I knew they would take care of me. Last week the block was sent out to MAP to have their basic stage 1 2.4l build good for up to 650 whp. This build will include weisco pistons, Manley rods, stock crank, king xp bearings and thrust washers all coated with there one of a kind bearing and piston coating that they offer. I also upgraded to MAP H11 head studs for a little insurance on the head gasket since they tend to be a pain sometimes on these hybrid builds.

in addition to the short block this stage of the build will include:
-comp 280 cams
-akmee aluminum cam gears
-CCI hd stage 4 6 puck sprung clutch
-oem BSE kit etc.
-I will be running my 8 turbo with 10.5 hotside for now until next winter when I plan to upgrade to an ef4 with injectors, meth (possibly), ported exhaust and intake manis etc
-expect to make right around 400 or so with this setup and would love to upgrade my turbo now if it weren’t for funding as I am a college student lol

Hopefully everything goes smoothly and this ends up being a solid project!

any comments or suggestions as this build goes on and is updated would be very much appreciated and I would love to hear from some of you 4g64 guys out there on things like what head gasket, timing belt, and other questionable things you run as I am still in the thought process of picking those items!

Thanks guys!

Only have a few pictures now but I got to start somewhere so ill post up what I have and will have plenty to come!

updates soon!

Hey guys haven't been on here for awhile as i went back to school and got busy with all of that and my turbo project hasn't exactly been going as smooth as i would have liked but figured id come back and throw some pics up that I had from before i left for school on the car and i will be going home this weekend to finish it all up!

some of these are just reference pics for reassembly so I apologize however they may be useful for some as they are some what more in detail then most pictures you find if your in a jam and don't know how something is routed etc so I hope they may help some people on here.

Finish I got on the head but i wasn't happy with it so had it machined anyway:

New block fresh from MAP

Assembly went kind of fast and it was my first time building one of these so i was pretty focused didn't think to grab as many pics as I would've liked

New oil cooler, same as the stm kit made custom brackets for it so it wouldn't hang as low

some teasers of the turbo, it will be done this weekend and i will have full pictures of it up:
next to a 9 housing:

next to an MR wheel I believe:

Last edited by stanlsha; Mar 21, 2012 at 06:40 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 06:55 AM
Evolving Member

Good luck with the build man.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 08:40 AM
Evolving Member

thanks buddy i appreciate it
Old Dec 12, 2011, 10:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome build ! nothing like alittle trip to the junk yard and finding something worth wild
Old Dec 12, 2011, 11:41 AM
Evolving Member

hahaha very true man I was lucky to come across it they had just set the row two days before . Thanks for the support!
Old Dec 13, 2011, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yo real sick build buddy real stoked to tear into this bad boy.

Old Dec 13, 2011, 03:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Blue91lx
Yo real sick build buddy real stoked to tear into this bad boy.

haahaha yeah buddy rippin the 63 out on sunday bro lol... still need to borrow your engine stand i may need to buy another one too so i can disassemble the 63 and assemble the 64 simultaneously
Old Dec 13, 2011, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by stanlsha
haahaha yeah buddy rippin the 63 out on sunday bro lol... still need to borrow your engine stand i may need to buy another one too so i can disassemble the 63 and assemble the 64 simultaneously
Sounds gravy. It's just sitting in the garage so using it shouldn't be an issue.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 07:31 PM
Evolving Member

word up we wont need it for long anyway so it should be good long as the woman doesnt keep you from coming over lol ill be working late night on it cause i want to get it back out on the road before school starts again
Old Dec 14, 2011, 12:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by stanlsha
word up we wont need it for long anyway so it should be good long as the woman doesnt keep you from coming over lol ill be working late night on it cause i want to get it back out on the road before school starts again
Your woman should come down and hang out with my woman while we rip this **** apart.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 09:46 AM
Evolving Member

my woman will be out on like the 12th or so until we go back so they can entertain themselves for about a week while we throw it together
Old Dec 14, 2011, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

I like yo' style. Buschur power.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 11:45 AM
Evolving Member

lol i know this... im sending you some link bullish in a few mins
Old Dec 14, 2011, 02:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harry's U-Pull-It. I ****ing love that place.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
sounds like a good build! any pics of they car?

Quick Reply: My 03 evo 8 hybrid Build