Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

My IX build/changelog/storytime thread.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2012, 03:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My IX build/changelog/storytime thread.

This has been an ongoing thing for quite awhile now.

Mods when I bought it in March, 2009:
HKS RS Intake
HKS UICP w/ HKS SSQV (VTA and annoyingly loud, I hated this thing)
Megan TBE
Megan Exhaust Manifold
Megan O2 housing
Greddy EBC
Cosworth M2 cams(I found this out when I had Shane open it up, more on that later)
Tein S-Tech springs
-Minor gremlins
Tuned for 24PSI on 93 numbers unknown, done by TopSpeed in ATL. All this done by the previous owner, who amusingly found me here on EvoM a few months ago.

It was all good and fine for awhile, but then I had an oopsie in Oct 09.

For bonus points, I killed the factory wing

I managed to come out a bit ahead on insurance(or so I thought) and bought an AMS TBE to replace the damaged Megan one as well as an AMS intercooler+LICP. The stock FMIC and the Megan TBE were damaged in the crash.

Early December, 2010

I picked the car up from the body shop in Nashville, TN and drove back to post, about 50 miles... with no muffler as I didn't get to putting in the AMS stuff yet. They took so long to finish that I had to burn up a couple of days of my already planned pre deployment block leave to get it ready to go.

This was about a week after picking it up from the body shop, I had driven to Key West, FL from KY. Picture is actually from Key Largo.

I drove from South Florida to Minnesota where my car was getting stored during my deployment to Afghanistan.

Spring of '10(end of May) comes and it's time for the car to go to MAP, to try and address a couple of the gremlins and get the drivetrain redone.

The clutch would slip a bit if you tried to launch it and the synchro for 3rd was pretty beat up.

MAP tookout the clutch, trans and Tcase. I figured while the trans was comming out anyway and I had the money, I may as well get everything done.

The trans is now a Shep rebuild with all the options and an Evo VIII 3 and 4th gears.

The Tcase is now a Shep stage 2 (was their Stage 3 at the time IIRC).

It got a QM twin disc clutch installed as well, I had plans for 2.3 and big turbo at the time and that was what MAP recommended. I didn't mind the difference in engagement or noise it makes but it's pretty rediculous for how the car was at the time.

When MAP put it back together and got it on the dyno apparently it made a horrible noise. The Tcase came out and went back to Shep. They found the Ring/Pinion were worn down weird. They had been replaced during the rebuild, so Shep did it again and sent it back to MAP. Afterword everything was fine and dandy again.

I also had them replace the now cracking Megan exhaust manifold with the 4WSTuning JesseB/"Mona Lisa" manifold. It ended up being cheaper to have them replace the Megan O2 housing with the broken bolt than to fix it, so they put on one of their MAP O2 housings as well.

They put on the SpoolinUP COP I had bought before it went on the dyno too. I figured the COP was cheap insurance against failed ignition since it had the from the factory coils/wires(I think) and it was now pushing 72K miles.

Mivec gremlin and running out of fuel.

Mods at this point:

HKS RS Intake
HKS UICP w/ HKS SSQV
AMS TBE w/ Test Pipe
4WS/JesseB header
MAP O2 housing
SpoolinUP COP
Greddy EBC
Cosworth M2 cams
Shep Ultimate ration trans
Shep Stage 3 Tcase
QM Twin with hydro TOB and MAP flywheel.
Stock fuel pump
Stock injectors
24PSI peak on 93
-MIVEC Gremlin

On the way to drop the car off at MAP my Uncle who was following my Dad there noticed the right rear wheel looked to wobble. Which based on my crash made sense, I never noticed a vibration or noise during my 3500 mile road trip.

MAP noticed on the dyno it looked to have a bent wheel, and further checking revealed a bent control arm. If I wasn't thousands of miles away, I would have went and had a talk with the repair shop that did the work after my accident.

My dad picked up the car and a couple weeks later it went to brookdale Mitsubishi, it's now late August.

I had gotten a new(used) wheel off of here for $100. Mitsu ended up replacing: both front and the right rear wheel bearings, right rear control arm, right rear hub and axle(trigger ring broke during my oopsie and ABS didn't work)

That was a $2500 suprise bill(500 more than I pocketed from insurance from the crash, so much for being ahead), they did an alignment too. This also forced me to axe switching to E85 which I had originally planned on doing while I was on R&R.

It was ready for pickup the day I got home for my 2 week R&R.

I had signed up an HPDE at Brainered International Raceway(my first one ever) to do while on R&R. I was instantly hooked, so much fun.

Installed:
The mini battery I bought from someone local in MN.
Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star specs
RotorPros Slotted rotors(yeah I know, regular blanks would have been fine.)
Ferodo DS 2500 pads all around
Stereo from Scheides out of his VIII. It had a USB hookup so I could plug in my iPod, which is huge for how much driving I do. The harness already being setup to just plug&play was awesome btw. I think that took less time than the mini battery.

The front tires had bad wear from the alignment and camber being off, and the right rear had a couple grooves from the rear quater hitting it on my drive back to post after the accident.

I wish all the cars I've owned were as easy to change brake pads in. Even the calipers/rotors came off easily.
I admit, I pretty much bought the pads/rotors on a whim. The pads were fine, the rotors could have maybe used a turning.

Drive to BIR, play around and drive back to Fridley. It's about an hour and a half each way.

At BIR:

Leave ends and I head back to Afghan.

I got in touch with Shane at DBPerformance at the track day. Once I was back in A-Stan I got a hold of him to see about my plans for the car.

My car went to DB during the winter of 2010/2011:

Convert to Speed Density
60K service, a bit pass due but all along I had planned for a built short block this winter that just ended up not happening.
Pull the valve cover to see which cams( I didn't actually know which ones until this point)
Install AEM Wideband and column pod
Install BlaqOps double pumper
Install FIC 1450 injectors(the fuel system is a bit much, but I didn't want to have to change things again in the future)
Tune for E85 and 93. TN/KY are not like MN and there's just a handful of stations that carry E85.

The boost gauge I had didn't fit in the autometer pod(I never thought to measure it) so I ended up having DB order one of the Phantom series ones in the right size to go in the pod along with the AEM Wideband.

When they took the valve cover off, they found the Cosworth cams, but also that the valve cover was cracked, and was the source of an oil leak I had.

I found a replacement valve cover on here to replace my cracked one.
It still had a MIVEC gremlin that DB couldn't nail down. I had them try the sensor and some other stuff to fix it which had no effect. On Shane's recommendation(he didn't want to just throw parts at it) it got brought to Brookdale Mitsubishi to have them look into it with their scanner. That pointed to the MIVEC solenoid which they replaced which ended up not making a difference. About the only part of the MIVEC system left that hadn't been changed out at this point is the cam gear itself.

Shane's Pump/E85(70) tunes. This is uncorrected on a DynoDynamics. I'm not going to get into converting this to DynoJet #'s. The E85(70) tune would later show 414hp/4xxtq at AWD on their dynojet in Florida.

Mods at this point:
SpoolinUP COP
Cosworth M2's
"Mona Lisa" Header
MAP O2 Housing
AMS TBE w/Test Pipe
AMS FMIC
AMS LICP
HKS Reloaded Suction
HKS UICP
HKS SSQV
FIC 1450cc
BlaqOps Double Pumper w/Dual walbro 255
DB MBC and Greddy EBC... going to get rid of the EBC
Speed Density

Stock IM
Stock TB with Mil.Spec seals
Stock shortblock

Feb, 2011
I returned from Afghan, finished my inprocessing back into the states, flew to MN on a weekend picked the car up and drove it from Minnesota back to Fort Campbell, Kentucky.

Shortly after getting back to Campbell the ETS UICP/TiAL Q I had ordered from Spec-OPs showed up so I put that in. Gigantic difference in drivability over the HKS stuff.

In late Feb/March, I got 30 days of post deployment leave. I again drove to south FL(to visit my Brother who I used to live with, hitup AWD to have the E85 tune redone, as in MN at the time it was actually E70, and tuned accordingly.

The only change from before was the ETS UICP/TiAL and one of AWD's fabbed SD intakes to replace the HKS stuff. I had ordered the FP Red through AWD, but, it was on backorder from FP forever. The plan was to have them install it and do the retune while I was there so I would have it for TX2k11. The stars just didn't align for that to happen.

I had driven from Ft. Campbell(it's ~40 miles south of Nashville) to Key West, FL. I then drove from south FL to Houston, TX for Tx2k11 and beat on my car for 4 days.

Tx2k11 was an unexplainable amount of fun. I did the HPDE day(...and made 10 seconds of the official DVD) but didn't do the official drag racing. There may have been a bit of nighttime fun.

I pulled these off of Supraforums, someone took these pictures of my car at LMP on Sunday after drag racing had ended.

I then drove back to Campbell from Houston. As amusement, my FP Red showed up as my buddy's house in Kentucky the Friday of TX2k11.

Late March, 2011
This is what my barracks room looked like shortly after getting "home'

Anyway, with the help of my friends we put in the FP Red:
I can't find the picture, but somehow we managed to tear the gasket for the oil drainback. I made a new one out of the Bosch oil filter box I had, it was still there and not leaking as of Dec 31st, 2011.

Twin turbo trunk:

Done:

I had picked up a tactrix cable and EvoScan/ECUFlash. There wasn't really anyone to do the tuning with the new turbo local so I read up and did it myself. I really just ended up adding fuel to Shane's 93 map, I started with Diiirk's E85 map and had to add fuel and pull timing in the middle. TQ was pretty high with the new turbo and his timing map so I had to try and tone it down some.

As par for the course with problems I'd had in the past. While doing the pump gas tuning the MBC fell apart. I forgot to tighten the jam nut when I adjusted it. Shane from DB sent me new stuff for free and it arrived in a couple days. I eventually replaced that with a Halman that I got dirt cheap locally around post...just because I like how it looked better.

Pump and E85, VD. Yes, it says Evo8, my car has 3rd and 4th gears from an 8.

I finished the tune in April, 2011

Shortly after finishing the tune(2 weeks or so) the clutch started to slip. I wish I had pictures from that job, but, I forgot to take any. Here are pics of the disks that came out. They appeared to be developing stress cracks.

Anyway, that was in May. Come late July I get 2 more weeks of leave. I drove from Campbell to Minnesota.

Went back to BIR for their Wednesday night open drag racing. I averaged Mid 11's at around 125. Eventually I got kicked off the track for not having the required NHRA saftey gear. I did, however, win a free entry to an event called PowerCruise that was going on that weekend for being the quickest/fastest 4cyl that was there. I sort of felt bad, the only other 4cyl cars there was a bolton STi and a group of 4 bolton/NA civics.

Powercruise was a lot of fun. I made the 1.5hr one way drive to BIR for PowerCruise, drag raced and hit the road course and drove home on Friday and Saturday.

At some point while I was in Mn I went back to MAP to get my car dyno'd to see what it actually made.
The one laggy looking run is what happens when the MIVEC malfunctions.

I drive back to Campbell and the clutch sounds strange(terrible) and I park the car. I was to get out of the Army and start terminal leave soon anyway and I had planned on trailering the car back to MN anyhow. After the first time I had no intention of doing the clutch myself.

November, 2011

I took it to RS Motors in MN when I got home as they would replace the input shaft of the trans in house if it was bad, which it turned out to be. The disks were replaced with the new, "gear-drive" ones that come in the new 8-Leg version of the QM twin.

Clutch carnage, "tall" hub disk broken/splines beatup.

"Short" hub had the splines missing.

Input shaft was beatup too:

It must have been some combination of abuse and the short hub having been machined down at my request to try and get more life out of the set per the thread that was on here awhile ago. I probably had 50+ launches, who knows how many frumrolls and ~150 miles of roadcourse time on that set of disks, despite the short time they were in the car.

Everything got replaced was fine and dandy. I had my car to play with again and luckily, MN didn't have any semblance of winter in December while I was there.

I spent one whole day cleaning up my car. I semi detailed the whole thing.

This was as close to winter as I saw the whole time I was there from Nov 6th to Dec 31st.

I also hit 90K miles while I was in MN, the CEL is still the P0011 from the evil MIVEC gremlin.

The car had 58K when I bought it in March, 2009. With downtime/deployment etc I only "used" the car for about 16 months by the time it hit 90K in December, 2012. In that time I drove from KY->South FL->MN. Mn->KY. KY->South FL->Houston, TX->KY. And KY->MN->KY.

I'm now back in Afghanistan as a civillian and the car is going to Buschur in March for almost a whole new engine/turbo setup. It's going to be a 2.3RPM with their headwork and an HTA 86. More to come from that after it's done.

My goal is 700+ dynojet numbers.

Last edited by Bramage_Dained; Feb 27, 2012 at 03:25 AM. Reason: Because I r type and speel gud.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 03:04 AM
Evolving Member

Saved, because I can.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 03:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice write up. as soon as i get out of afghanistan ill be doin an ER build, cant wait.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 09:26 AM
Evolving Member

Interim update, because I'm bored.

My car is being reassembled, the list of what is being added:

BR 2.3RPM
BR Stage 3 Head
BR Ported IM
BR 65MM TB
BR Turbo Kit w/ PTE 6466
ID 2000 injectors
BR FMIC and LICP

There seems to be a few people curious about how that 6466 works out with the rest of the stuff. Probably have results next week.

I bought a set of the M&H Drag Radials they sell too, but, I still need to figure out what I'm going to do for wheels.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Awesome build man! Looking forward to seeing the new setup
Old Apr 27, 2012, 11:05 AM

Great build I like how you fix all the problems as soon as they arise I know that can deter people from the costs. I do have a question tho how hard do you beat on the car?
Old Apr 27, 2012, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bramage_Dained
Interim update, because I'm bored.

My car is being reassembled, the list of what is being added:

BR 2.3RPM
BR Stage 3 Head
BR Ported IM
BR 65MM TB
BR Turbo Kit w/ PTE 6466
ID 2000 injectors
BR FMIC and LICP

There seems to be a few people curious about how that 6466 works out with the rest of the stuff. Probably have results next week.

I bought a set of the M&H Drag Radials they sell too, but, I still need to figure out what I'm going to do for wheels.
too bad i never got to meet you before i left campbell, what was your MOS?
Old Apr 27, 2012, 06:29 PM
Evolving Member

One hell of build story. Cant wait to see pics
Old Apr 27, 2012, 06:45 PM

not bad a recovery, adressing all critical areas before boost is essential
Old Apr 27, 2012, 08:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jmcmill3
too bad i never got to meet you before i left campbell, what was your MOS?
I was a 33W/35T.

Originally Posted by SilliG
Great build I like how you fix all the problems as soon as they arise I know that can deter people from the costs. I do have a question tho how hard do you beat on the car?
I would say I "beat" on it a lot. It's my toy car for entertainment, and I use it as such.

Actually the first full day I am back stateside(I leave Afghanistan the 18th, arrive in MN morning of the 19th.) for vacation in June I'm going up to BIR's Wednesday night drag racing on June 20th, and that weekend is MAP's Proving Grounds where I'm doing the Tripple Track Showdown, then there's an HPDE at BIR on the 29th I'm doing with my Dad-when I leave the states on the 30th to get back to Afghanistan.

Heh, my Dad and Uncle are taking my car to use at PowerCruise in July too, which is sort of like TX2k lite on a track.
Old May 10, 2012, 08:23 PM
Evolving Member

So yeah, new setup worked awesome. It wasn't quite right on the Stock ECU so a Series 2 AEM EMS is getting put on it.

It did make 702 whp and 565 ft lbs in 3rd gear on Buschur's dyno. Boost peak was at 39.9 psi. He said it made 20psi by 4500rpm in 3rd too. Oh and that was with E70 from MN that had been in the tank since December.

Real update next week when it's actually finished, I was just super excited.
Old May 11, 2012, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

702, nice
Old May 11, 2012, 09:13 PM
Evolving Member

Winning!

This is that graph, stock ECU and E70 that had been in it for 5 months.

Thread: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...l#post10158363
Old May 12, 2012, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
pretty sick story! i'll have to check it out at Proving Grounds!!

Your evo has been around the community lol DB, MAP, Buschur...everyone!
Old May 13, 2012, 01:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bramage_Dained
Winning!

This is that graph, stock ECU and E70 that had been in it for 5 months.

Thread: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...l#post10158363
I bet you it have more as it seat by just revving it to 8500rpm or something

Quick Reply: My IX build/changelog/storytime thread.