Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

R/TErnie's Evo 9 2.2L 4G64 EFR7670

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2012, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i was drilling and tapping my valve cover and thought of this thread. whats new?

p.s. magnesium shavings are the devil!
Old Apr 9, 2012, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Engine is timed and covers are on. Engine is complete. Transmission needs some longer bolts for the QM HRB... and then it'll be ready to go in.

I think I'll need an adapter AN line for the Hydraulic clutch assembly as QM uses -3 and OEM is some inverted flare crap.

Vipec I/O's have been defined. I'll install the ECU in the case tonight and hopefully start on the wiring. I got the -3Hose ends and crap for the vacuum/boost reference stuff.

Fuel system is about to start. Got my -3AN top for my Kinsler FPR. Need to buy a small tubing bender tomorrow as my old one bit the dust.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

for the clutch line perhaps something like this? i think its a 10mm banjo on the clutch master.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EA...6ERL/?rtype=10
Old Apr 10, 2012, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

I have a Fluid Line shop down the street.. I'll have him make me a line. Should be easy.

yes magnesium chips are the devil. They're soft enough that you think you can swat them away, but stiff enough to go right into your fingers.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by R/TErnie
I have a Fluid Line shop down the street.. I'll have him make me a line. Should be easy.

yes magnesium chips are the devil. They're soft enough that you think you can swat them away, but stiff enough to go right into your fingers.
if you have one made let me know how much, ill have the same setup and would like one if you dont mind shipping one to me.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

yeah I assume it'll be around 75 bucks. I'll let you know.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
This thread delivers
Old Apr 12, 2012, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah I assume it'll be around 75 bucks. I'll let you know.
please say this is for the VC?
Old Apr 12, 2012, 04:23 PM

R/TErnie you should be a really nice person because you share your valuable build secrets to everybody, I greatly appreciate your work and I wish you achieve your goals and beyond..

I also curious about your oil-catch can setup, please take extra shots for me.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

I have a ton of updates to do... lots of work has been done recently.

If anyone wants an install kit for their QM 8 leg twin, I can put them together pretty easily. It includes the line required to connect to the OEM line, 4 socket head cap screws, and 4 washers. I get them made for 85 bucks. I'll put it together for anyone for what I pay if you're interested.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

I have a ton of updates to do... lots of work has been done recently.

If anyone wants an install kit for their QM 8 leg twin, I can put them together pretty easily. It includes the line required to connect to the OEM line, 4 socket head cap screws, and 4 washers. I get them made for 85 bucks. I'll put it together for anyone for what I pay if you're interested.
im in!
Old Apr 12, 2012, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
just read the whole thing. holy crap....amazing!! did you gain a lot of experience in FSAE? i'm in school for mech engineer and iim doing fsae as well.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evoforstevo
just read the whole thing. holy crap....amazing!! did you gain a lot of experience in FSAE? i'm in school for mech engineer and iim doing fsae as well.
I got a lot of experience with my first car... my turbo 1st gen neon. I built(assembled) my 2.4L engine, wired my engine management system, fabricated the entire turbo system, fuel system, and tuned the car. Granted I had John Reed put the first tune on the car at 8psi and then I took over, but I learned a LOT of John Reed about tuning, my great machinist (Don *** of E&L Machine), and my Mortician friend Mark Powell (fab, engines, etc). I did a lot of drag racing with that car and met a lot of people at the track.

I did some tuning and a LOT of fabrication in college (Undergrad) and then worked for HorsepowerFreaks during the summer of my senior year... and then for a few months after. At horsepowerfreaks I worked with Michael and Chris @ ETS (both used to work at HPF). Met JR of ETS and Lucas @ English... and I met "ifarted2" Paul Nelson. He was a customer at HPF and I did a little work on his car. I have some pictures of doing his twin pumper setup and AN fuel system.

I quit HPF and went to WWU to get my post bacc at the Vehicle Research Institute...there I did FSAE with a lot of great guys that like me had racing experience and had built a few cars. We had guys that Raced 1100hp Hydro boats, a crew chief that prepped Porsche Cup Cars, Guys that had build their own engines, raced karts, raced in spec-miata, did competitive auto-x, etc. So we had a very experienced team... and we had some great drivers. FSAE was a great experience and I will say this... you get out of it what you put into it. I spent 16 hour days in the shop for a little more than 6 months. I went from n00b to Testing/Comp Lead in about 6 months. The point here is that it's there for you take...if you want it. You'll learn a ton about leadership, organization, design, teamwork, and management that you didn't realize was so important. I wish all engineering students were required to do FSAE. I've supported the FSAE program over the past 4 years because it was such a great experience that I want others to experience it the way I did. FSAE rocks.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 11:19 AM

gonna poke my head in here...

Quite a build you have going. You're inspiring me to finally start my own project ... no AWD, but I get another liter of displacement...
Old Apr 13, 2012, 11:29 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
<3 Me Some Eric. LOLOLOL Great build buddy.

Quick Reply: R/TErnie's Evo 9 2.2L 4G64 EFR7670