Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

R/TErnie's Evo 9 2.2L 4G64 EFR7670

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2012, 09:05 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
radiator being built asap!

thanks Eric-

cb
Old May 8, 2012, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My schedule has been sliding horribly to the right. It's not for lack of effort... it's due to high levels of optimism. I'm going to re-baseline the project by the end of this week. No specific track date that I'm trying to make.... it's Washington so it's not like it's really nice until June/July lol. I tentatively think I'll be running and tuned in about a month. Hopefully I come in sooner, but I have some other things I need to do as well, which will push out the timeline.

Yes lots of unicorns. LOTS of unicorns.

UPDATE

So after looking at my phenolic radiator end tanks next to my turbine housing... the poor placement of the upper radiator hose (even if it was better than my OEM radiator) and the fitment of the core relative to the core support... I got a hold of Chad (CBRD Speedfactor) and talked to him about getting a radiator made. After a bit of discussion it was determined that I should model the radiator and send him a drawing. So I did Here it is! Thanks Chad and Brent. I'm super stoked to have a radiator that fits the bill perfectly.

Name:  radiator.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  43.2 KB

A picture from a few weeks ago. Took the car outside and snapped a few pics.
Name:  Mayupdate002.jpg
Size:  92.2 KB
Name:  Mayupdate003.jpg
Size:  58.2 KB

So I made some brackets for my oil cooler. I made 2 of them out of Titanium and 1 out of aluminum (I got lazy yes)
This one removes the steel bracket that usually holds the oil cooler... and I used the fender bolts to make a support rod.

Name:  Mayupdate006.jpg
Size:  71.4 KB

My Second Ti bracket...terribly tough to see when it's on the car.

Name:  Mayupdate007.jpg
Size:  67.2 KB

My little aluminum bracket I made. It's .080 flat stock and .035 aluminum tubing.
Name:  Mayupdate008.jpg
Size:  90.8 KB

Shot of it mounted a LITTLE further back lol.
Name:  Mayupdate009.jpg
Size:  86.9 KB

Here's my new bumper support bracket since I removed my crash beam. .035" SS 1/2" tubing. works like a champ. I just need to make another for the other side. Might jig them up and give a bunch to ER... or I can not paint that unicorn!
Name:  Mayupdate010.jpg
Size:  94.9 KB

Here's a shot of the aluminum radiator bracket I made with a tiny grommet. Waaaay lighter than all the other bs available for radiator brackets. I really like these. I'll sell them with this radiator so I can help pay for my CBRD unit
Name:  Mayupdate011.jpg
Size:  83.0 KB

Here I changed some fittings on the catch can setup. I swapped the 30 degree that was on the valve cover with the straight that was on the catch can. This routes the hoses much higher and helps me clear a way for the UICP.
Name:  Mayupdate012.jpg
Size:  97.9 KB

This shows where I want the radiator hose to reconnect. It clears my intake pipe by a small amount. I may buy some titanium tubing for my upper radiator hose since I don't want it to transfer a bunch of heat to my intake pipe. Makes me think about coating the intake pipe too...or putting a Ti shield on it to keep the heat from the radiator soaking the pipe.

Name:  Mayupdate013.jpg
Size:  101.5 KB

A quick picture of the manifold installed with the downpipe. This will help me locate a few things and think about where I want to place the wastegates.

Name:  Mayupdate014.jpg
Size:  122.8 KB

Shot of the start of the downpipe
Name:  Mayupdate015.jpg
Size:  59.1 KB

Another shot of the manifold
Name:  Mayupdate016.jpg
Size:  99.0 KB

A pic showing my wiring Cluster****. *CF*
Name:  Mayupdate017.jpg
Size:  112.2 KB

Side shot of the engine bay in its current state.

Name:  Mayupdate018.jpg
Size:  113.6 KB

This is how I have the coolant lines ran to the turbocharger. Note that the fittings are blue with black hose ends... I took the Hard Ano-Black hose end piece and put them on my red and blue fittings because I ran out of 90 degree AN fittings lol. I kind of like they way it looks. I also swapped the Red hose end caps on the black fittings...those look pretty nifty too!
Name:  Mayupdate019.jpg
Size:  84.5 KB

Pic showing how the hose is routed.

Name:  Mayupdate020.jpg
Size:  95.7 KB

Pic showing the hoses connecting to the hardlines.
Name:  Mayupdate021.jpg
Size:  65.8 KB

Picture of my Intake Filter location this is what i plan on building a box around and using the inlet from the front bumper to pressurize for pushing my location on the efficiency islands back to the left when I'm doing 120 mph pulls.
Name:  Mayupdate022.jpg
Size:  81.3 KB

3.5" to 4" coupler and then a 4" aluminum tube. I need to make a nice bracket to hold the intake... it surprisingly hangs in space quite well.
Name:  Mayupdate023.jpg
Size:  93.2 KB

My Oil drain line with flex joint. Tube and Nut AN fittings on both ends. Freaking gangster. Thanks Freddie for the flex pipe and the Tube and Nuts. This took a lot of work. I bent the .035" SS 1.2" line with my Parker bender and tig welded all the little fittings and nuts on. Very cool IMO.
Name:  Mayupdate024.jpg
Size:  118.3 KB
Name:  Mayupdate025.jpg
Size:  103.8 KB

4 attempts with aircraft stripper and some sand blasting. Powdercoating is tough stuff. I need to clean these wheels up so I can get them painted/coated silver... so I can put some MH slicks on them or my 245 RE01rs. Nice dyno/drag wheels.
Name:  Mayupdate026.jpg
Size:  100.2 KB

I opted to get some nice hardware for my turbo to manifold connection. Bought some ARP 12 point bolts with nuts.
Name:  Mayupdate027.jpg
Size:  73.0 KB

My blingin new CCW center caps. I had s2k centercaps since I bought the wheels used. S2k's use a 70.x mm hub bore and a 64.x hub bore... so I needed Evo 67.1mm hub bore center caps.
Name:  Mayupdate028.jpg
Size:  44.7 KB

Last edited by R/TErnie; May 8, 2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old May 8, 2012, 09:20 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LOL! thats the same oil cooler I have on our race car--- and the same style intake lol!

looking good my man!

cb
Old May 8, 2012, 09:26 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jid2
So obviously it doesn't count for anything, you could have been painting unicorns.

Unfortunately I've been doing alot of unicorn painting lately and now the weather is nice and my car isn't ready to go play track. When does your Microsoft Project schedule for this build have you hitting the track, I assume you have a milestone for that.

lol!!
Old May 8, 2012, 09:31 AM
Account Disabled

BTW, nice updates Eric!
Old May 8, 2012, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for showing us what you've been doing!
Old May 8, 2012, 09:42 AM
Account Disabled

Look at the that nifty oil return line...

Last edited by Spec-Ops1; May 8, 2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old May 8, 2012, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks again Fred!

Nucci, I'll probably need my scales in a bit. LMK when/if you'll be up this way and I'll get them from you... or when I'll be down south.

Today I'm going to...

1) finish the -6 coolant lines and cut them to the proper length.
2) Make the hoses for my oil cooler lines.
3) Make a rubber isolated bracket/tab for my 4" intake tube
4) Connect and route my oil feed line
5) Cut and weld on my wastegate flanges onto the turbo manifold
6) Fabricate both dump tubes
7) Route the downpipe under the oil pan.
8) look at my -8 Fuel feed line a little more and figure out what the hell I'm going to do.
9) Think about swapping my 60 degree -8 fitting that is on the FPR to a 45 degree -8 fitting so that the regulator is square to the cylinder head.
10) bend the Ti bracket that holds the FPR so that the FPR is level with the valve cover
11) *reminds me of something I didn't take a picture of* I need to weld on mounting tabs/nuts for the FMM and make a new bracket to connect to the transmission.

*I made a Chromoly front cross member... it's pretty cool. I'll snap some pictures of it tonight when I take some more pictures. new spin on an old idea.
Old May 8, 2012, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

And I just now noticed your avatar. Sick... lol

-Acree
Old May 8, 2012, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Acree
And I just now noticed your avatar. Sick... lol

-Acree
It's the baby Stig! I've got my kids Recaro baby seat already picked out Due in October... we go in for the 20 week ultrasound next Friday. (which means we'll get to find out if it's a boy or a girl )
Old May 8, 2012, 10:40 AM
Evolving Member

Looks good eric! Maybe if i win the loto ill send you my car!
Old May 8, 2012, 12:10 PM

Bet it's a girl
Old May 8, 2012, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Do you have 2 extra arp 12pt nuts?
Old May 8, 2012, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by khmerpimpin
Do you have 2 extra arp 12pt nuts?
I only have this 1 extra.

And Nucci... I'll be happy either way as we're hoping for a boy and a girl. So we'll have 1 of 2 custom built Urness kids.
Old May 8, 2012, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by R/TErnie
I only have this 1 extra.

And Nucci... I'll be happy either way as we're hoping for a boy and a girl. So we'll have 1 of 2 custom built Urness kids.
I have a 3mo old son, and I tell my wife all the time that I'm building my evo for him

But yeah I just wanted to ask since I didn't want to buy a 10 pack, maybe I should look at other places besides ebay

Quick Reply: R/TErnie's Evo 9 2.2L 4G64 EFR7670