Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

R/TErnie's Evo 9 2.2L 4G64 EFR7670

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2012, 11:00 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
looking better and better everytime i check this thread.. great work man!
Old May 18, 2012, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eric knows what kind of kid he's having...
Old May 18, 2012, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
A Dodge?
Old May 18, 2012, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Went to the 20week ultrasound this morning. I spotted the bits before the tech did! The baby will be no longer referred to as "it", but "he".
Old May 18, 2012, 02:27 PM
Evolving Member

congrats
Old May 18, 2012, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by R/TErnie
Went to the 20week ultrasound this morning. I spotted the bits before the tech did! The baby will be no longer referred to as "it", but "he".
Congrats, he's one lucky boy.
Old May 18, 2012, 06:23 PM
Evolving Member

Congrats on your future kid.
Old May 18, 2012, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks guys! I'm really stoked to be a father. Should be a game changer. I'm just really happy that he's healthy and growing up well. I've had a hard time focusing on work... or anything else for that matter.

I'll be working on the car this weekend, so look for some more updates. I've been busy working on other stuff, so I'm happy to be back working on the Evo again this weekend.

Last edited by R/TErnie; May 19, 2012 at 06:28 AM.
Old May 19, 2012, 05:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congratz Ernie!! now post some more car **** pics!!!
Old May 19, 2012, 09:23 PM
Evolving Member

Name:  May2update028.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  80.9 KB

I see you used a hardline for the oil return from the turbo. Every return line I've ever dealt with has some flex portion in it. Whether its OEM, push lock hose, steel braided, or pro-lite hose. Do you think vibration is going to be an issue with that line cracking? Or is it pliable enough to stand up to it?

Just to be clear, I have a ton of respect for your attention to detail and knowledge. I am not questioning your decision. Just looking for your opinion on the matter.

EDIT: I remember when my wife was pregnant with our first son. It was incredible. Hard to focus on anything other than what that day is going to be like from the rush to the hospital to the time in the delivery room. When it's happening, minutes feel like hours. Then looking back on the day, it feels like it all happened so fast. Congratulations man.

Last edited by mayberry; May 19, 2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old May 19, 2012, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mayberry

I see you used a hardline for the oil return from the turbo. Every return line I've ever dealt with has some flex portion in it. Whether its OEM, push lock hose, steel braided, or pro-lite hose. Do you think vibration is going to be an issue with that line cracking? Or is it pliable enough to stand up to it?

Just to be clear, I have a ton of respect for your attention to detail and knowledge. I am not questioning your decision. Just looking for your opinion on the matter.
There's a flex pipe in there... it's near the turbocharger not near the pan. So you can't see it in this picture. I think if you look back through the pics you can see the corrugated flex section in the drain line. I got that from Fast_Freddie

My mom got our baby boy some little baby shoes with racecars on them. I thought that was pretty awesome. I need to pick out the little Baby Recaro seat here soon. Too much fun.

So today I finished the manifold. Finished the 2nd gate location, Tig-Plas'd the opening, ground it, back purged, welded it, grind, polish, and admire. I then routed the 2nd gate so it's almost a mirror to the 1st gate. fits perfect. I made a "o2 housing" for the manifold so it's easier to remove/install. I also test fit the flex pipe (which is freakin' huge) under the AMS pan... right now it's a bit too close, but I'll do some magic and get an extra 1/16" of clearance.

Then I'll get welding and zap all that crap together with a nice back purge. Then I need to route the downpipe around the ACD T/C, then under the K-frame, make some hollow ss tubes for the exhaust hangers, weld in the o2 bung, and then smile. I'm going to use a spring tab and slip fit as I've done before so that I don't have to use a heavy v-band at the stainless-titanium interface. I'll do the same for the Ti tubing too... just lighter that way.

I got my 3.5" x .042" Titanium Tubing ordered 12 feet will be here shortly. I have to get my buddy over that is a Titanium wizard. He's not only good with Ti... he's brilliant with Aluminum... Here's a car he did. I'm hoping that I can do some tuning on his Dad's v8 with EFI in exchange for some custom Aluminum Fenders for the Evo 18x11's w/315's here I come!

I also picked up a bunch of this cool battery cable. It's super flexible. Black sheath with silver colored stranded wires. I got a 200amp breaker for it as well.

Then onto my decision for getting a battery kill switch. I was really excited to run a keyed 6 pole switch. Then I found out NHRA won't allow a plastic switch OR a keyed switch. So I'm out of luck there. I think I'm going to use a switch with a rod so that I can remove the rod when I'm not at the track.

Then the question of whether I route the battery cable next to the fuel lines or if I route it inside the car. I think I'll run it inside the car. But I'll have to look at it closer tomorrow.

Monday I'll have to order more SS hardline for the ACD hardlines. I have a bunch more tube and nut AN fittings so I can route it well.

Speaking of hardlines, I'm going to pull the -8AN Hose assembly that I have coming off the hardline so that I can make it out of one piece. It's just a ***** to get to. But... it needs to be right.

After all this stuff gets done I'll finally get to mount the IC, make a LICP, and figure out how I want them to join together.

Bah too much work.
Old May 20, 2012, 07:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
How about this switch?

http://www.t1racedevelopment.com/ind...hk=1&Itemid=72
Old May 20, 2012, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Very cool! I like that except that I'm not sure that it will shut down my alternator. When it says that the alt must be wired directly to the battery... Are they referring to the field wire or the actual power wire?
Old May 20, 2012, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by R/TErnie
Very cool! I like that except that I'm not sure that it will shut down my alternator. When it says that the alt must be wired directly to the battery... Are they referring to the field wire or the actual power wire?
not sure, i dont have any wiring diagrams to look at. but if it kills the car the moment the switch is flipped then it passes tech. i guess when your car is running, yank the cable off the battery and see if it dies or not.
Old May 20, 2012, 03:04 PM
Evolving Member

The car won't die if you disconnect the battery while it's running. So the field wire has to be wired in also.

Quick Reply: R/TErnie's Evo 9 2.2L 4G64 EFR7670