Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

R/TErnie's Evo 9 2.2L 4G64 EFR7670

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2012, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Stat o seals? Those the washers with the rubber sealing insert?
Old Mar 29, 2012, 05:46 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now you see why I was cussing so much this weekend with this pan! It is nice and all, but it takes so many little tweaks to get it to fit and seal properly... Stat-o-seals may work, but I still see RTV used generously to keep it from leaking...

As for mounting the oil pressure sensor, I covered it with the same foam material we used on my FP inline oil filter (if you remember) and zip tied it to the brake lines on the firewall... I also remember someone who made a bracket and mounted the sensors to a bracket (oil pressure and 5 bar) that way it looked neater than a clamp or zip ties... found it, here are the pics, but looks like you will need a line longer than 12" to get it to reach this far...

Last edited by Spec-Ops1; Mar 29, 2012 at 05:58 AM.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by R/TErnie
with 12" of line, what did you attach the line to? Zip tie? etC?

Dave,
It would be nice to make it out there.

The reference was to a dog track bunny All the dogs chasing it.
Hahaha, I got the reference, was just making a joke. I took the statement as a compliment, believe me!
Old Mar 29, 2012, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great build thread! one of the better ones i have read. Very informative and your work looks great. very cool to see you build everything! Cant wait to see the end result! subscribed!
Old Mar 29, 2012, 07:51 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Freddie@Spec-Ops
Eric, get the AMS Remote Oil Pressure sending unit for $35 that way you can mount the oil pressure sender up and away from the engine on the fire wall... I built my own with the adapter from 42 draft designs and only saved $5 but had to do all the research... BTW the new one I got for a customer build last week looks a little cleaner than the older ones... This will also keep the resonant vibrations to the sender away, which should result in a longer lifespan for the sensor...

Downfall... you will have to remove that allen plug you put into the oil filter housing with red locktite... TORCHIT!!!!!

http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/A...Unit-Line.html

Since you are a DIY guy... here is the adapter 42 draft designs has...

http://store.42draftdesigns.com/Lanc...ptor_p_54.html

we actually have about 40 of the 3/8 BSPT to -4a male unions instock lol

if anyone needs any-

cb
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:24 AM
Account Disabled

Son of a gun... good to know!
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I feel you Freddie. I was cursing up a storm last night. So pissed.

Chad,
let me know on that fitting I need to order it...meow.

Dave,
you'll have to make the autocross course a bit bigger this year

ENGINE MAIN GALLEY PLUG
Based on my measurements last night and Mcmasters cad file... I need the 3/8" BSP fitting... but based on my eye crometer I think that the plugs that go in the oil filter housing are too small. Based on 42 draft designs product description that says they are 3/8" makes me think the plug in the block is 1/2". More so since I had to use a .5xx" reamer to debur the main galley when drilling the oil squirters.
In light that I have an extra 3/8" BSP plug, AND I'll be removing another from my filter housing... I do not need to order another... I have them. Since I'm not at home I cant check, but I need to order today to have them before the weekend. So I'm going to order the 1/2" BSP plug. That way I'll have both options!

4860K134 - British Standard Threaded Pipe Fitting 1/2 Pipe Size, BSPT Male Hex-Socket Plug

It's a Nickel plated Brass fitting btw.

NOTE: For all of you people looking for BSP to AN.... search mcmaster for "JIC" then you can click adapters and so on. They have BSP to AN there as well as BSP to NPT. Win!

AN PLUMBING

Thanks to Freddie for hooking me up with a grip of -3AN Teflon braided line all I need to do is by the extremely expensive SpeedSeal Earls fittings to make my hose. It ends up being a wash for cost versus the pre-made hose, but I can make them exactly as long as I need. I think I'm going to make a 3 sensor mount for the MAP, OP, and FP.

OIL PRESSURE SENSOR FITTINGS
42 Draft Design 3/8" BSP Male to 1/8" NPT Female
http://store.42draftdesigns.com/Lanc...ptor_p_54.html

Earls 981603 - Straight - 1/8" Male NPT To -3 A.N. Male Adapter

Earls 609233 - Speed-Seal 90 deg. Aluminum -3AN hose end

Earls 600133 - Speed-Seal Straight Aluminum -3AN hose end

XRP X795003 - 3 Male JIC to 1/8" FNPT Gauge Fitting. Aluminum

NOTE: use Speed-Flex hose

FUEL PRESSURE SENSOR FITTINGS
This is coming from my Kinsler FPR. 1/8" Female NPT port on the front to the same 10bar Zeitronix Sensor.

Earls 609233 - Speed-Seal 90 deg. Aluminum -3AN hose end

MAP SENSOR FITTINGS
Coming from my Magnus v5 to a 5bar Zeitronix Sensor

Name:  fittings-1.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  68.2 KB

OIL PAN PROGRESS
Finally got it past all the other BS keeping it from actually touching the block. I had to drill out the holes in the pan for the side cover AND the rear main seal fasteners. OG was .300", then I did all the holes at .309" and I did the end holes @ .322" ... and then did the masterful art of running the drill at high speed while side loading it. :/
Name:  DSCF1322.jpg
Size:  65.2 KB

Then I test fit all the nuts on the studs. All but 3. The counterbored holes for the heads of the nuts is off center because... well you guessed it the stud is too. This is going to require the mill and a VERY long end mill to fix this.
Name:  DSCF1323.jpg
Size:  52.1 KB
Name:  DSCF1324.jpg
Size:  48.4 KB
Name:  DSCF1325.jpg
Size:  50.0 KB
Name:  DSCF1326.jpg
Size:  40.8 KB

Drain line fits like a charm. Maybe a 60 degree -10AN fitting would be better... meh. I'll gamble on that 25 dollar fitting that this will work.
Name:  DSCF1327.jpg
Size:  55.8 KB
Name:  DSCF1328.jpg
Size:  73.8 KB

Last edited by R/TErnie; Mar 29, 2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

So... I'll need to go back and change my post above... CLARITY AND CLEANLINESS HAS BEEN FOUND!

http://www.anplumbing.com/Extras/Gau...apters-62.html

Updated the post above with the new schnazzy fitting. Fittings ordered

Last edited by R/TErnie; Mar 29, 2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
The autocross course this year will be FULL sized, nice a large for the Shootout. The track even offered to let us use the racetrack as part of the course, top speeds in access of 200 mph be OK?! haha
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:44 AM
Account Disabled

Jesus this is such a double edged sword... I wanna make chief this year, however if I do I will not be able to attend the shootout this year... I have a feeling it will be a great time...
Old Mar 29, 2012, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by David Buschur
The autocross course this year will be FULL sized, nice a large for the Shootout. The track even offered to let us use the racetrack as part of the course, top speeds in access of 200 mph be OK?! haha
Badass! Should be exciting. Lots of corners
Old Mar 29, 2012, 11:46 AM

Hell yeah Ernie .. Im loving the serious work you've put into your baby! I work for BMW and I love the 50/50 weight distribution of BMWs and its funny that your trying to balance the EVO!! If only it wasn't so expensive to shift the motor back towards the firewall to get the weight further from the edges and closer to the center. But then that would require a shell, tons of fab time/prep, and lots of custom pieces to fit it and make it work.

I read through your thread and the detail is amazing! What was the corner weigh of the EVO at each tire? Just curious cause to achieve a near 50/50 weight with low CoG is probably the most expensive endevor to maximize handling but it will help keep the car handling consistently without excess weight front to back and left to right. 50/50 weight with coil-overs, sway bars and strut bars would have it handling on rails!

I was big into DSMs back a few years ago and there were lots of light weight tubular front end gear available for those to help drop serious weight .. Im sure such items are made for the EVO due to its popularity.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Damn Eric, haven't been on the forums for ages, but thank you for making this thread, and so happy with how the car turned out.

I think everybody could learn something from this thread!
Old Mar 29, 2012, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
what are you using for all the vacuum/boost lines? im going to use all push lock, but not the "racing" branded stuff. this stuff works great, is fairly cheap and no chance of popping a line off. the push on hose isnt rated for vacuum, but we run it under vacuum at work 24/7 for years on end and it just doesnt fail.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#push-on-hose/=gvlcto

http://www.mcmaster.com/#brass-push-...ttings/=gvlcxh

http://www.mcmaster.com/#jic-tube-fittings/=gvle4n
Old Mar 29, 2012, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by n2oiroc
Stat o seals? Those the washers with the rubber sealing insert?
stat-o-seals

Dowty seals

vacuum lines I'll run the -3AN braided with the same fittings used above. -3AN hose ends from earls. I'll use some banjo's for the TiAL wastegates and the bov.

Only one real issue that I haven't resolved yet on that front is the FPR from kinsler has a TINY vacuum/boost reference port.

Scorke,
I called Ivey today. I asked if you were there and the guy mumbled something and was like, "email Sean it'll be faster." I wasn't super pleased with the service, but meh. People are busy sometimes. Thanks Man. What have you been up to?

Originally Posted by FourreGsixty3
Hell yeah Ernie .. Im loving the serious work you've put into your baby! I work for BMW and I love the 50/50 weight distribution of BMWs and its funny that your trying to balance the EVO!! If only it wasn't so expensive to shift the motor back towards the firewall to get the weight further from the edges and closer to the center. But then that would require a shell, tons of fab time/prep, and lots of custom pieces to fit it and make it work.

I read through your thread and the detail is amazing! What was the corner weigh of the EVO at each tire? Just curious cause to achieve a near 50/50 weight with low CoG is probably the most expensive endevor to maximize handling but it will help keep the car handling consistently without excess weight front to back and left to right. 50/50 weight with coil-overs, sway bars and strut bars would have it handling on rails!

I was big into DSMs back a few years ago and there were lots of light weight tubular front end gear available for those to help drop serious weight .. Im sure such items are made for the EVO due to its popularity.
I might not be terribly difficult to move the engine back a half an inch. We do have CV's and slip yokes. I'm sure that would help. Maybe when I decide that I need to paint everthing.

I think the Evo is 60/40 last time I did it. I'll have to check when I'm finished with putting it back together. I won't be at 50/50, but I'll be better than I was. The crappy part is that it's extremely easy to remove weight from the rear of the Evo and very difficult to remove it from the front. There are certainly tubular front K-frames, but they also lack stiffness. So you're at a compromise... I suppose I'll address that compromise at a later point. I had to limit my scope to getting the car back together since it was snowballing out of control. I've got my winter plan for next year laid out and it involves removing about 112 pounds from the car with out reducing functionality. I really wanted to do it this year, but alas money doesn't grow on trees and neither does time. Thanks for the kind words. I worked at HPF while the M3 turbo kits were being designed and built. I really liked the E46M3. It was between the M3 and the E9... lucky me I was also helping on Paul Nelson's Evo and got to see it handle 700+whp out of a 2.0L (eventually 1117whp) but that really turned me onto the Evos. Which is when I joined Evom.

I did a twin intank pump using AN fittings for Paul's Evo... I probably have a picture of it still somewhere... And that was in 2003.

Last edited by R/TErnie; Mar 29, 2012 at 01:41 PM.

Quick Reply: R/TErnie's Evo 9 2.2L 4G64 EFR7670